Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
SJD

Battery Switch Out

Ok folks I changed out the coach batteries on my 2017 Seneca FS and now can not get main power on. The items that are attached to the Chassis batterie still work fine. The Main Power switch will not work. I have no power to the coach except shore power or inverter items. No house lights or any thing. Yes I am plugged into shore power. Inverter shows it is working.. I know I have tripped some breaker somewhere. I need direction to know where to look. thanks for any help.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Did you accidentally reverse the cables when you first rehooked up the battery? There are reverse polarity fuses in the converter and maybe a 30 amp fuse in the main cable off of the battery.

Are you 100% sure you got the correct cables on the correct posts?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
SJD

I hope so. Took pictures before but if some one has the schematic. I can double check. Paranoid that It would not go back right. I still could have made mistake.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

IIRC there are relays and fuses in the battery compartment. Likely impossible to reach. Perhaps there's a chance one of them tripped.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #5

Check ALL OF THE FUSES in the battery compartment. especially the ones that are on the solenoid relays. The batteries are connected to that solenoid to supply power to the Seneca, and that solenoid will not actuate w/o those fuses working correctly.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
SJD

Checked all fuses and they were good. Went back to my photos and went through the wiring diagram step by step. Found that my helper had told me wrong on one cable. All is back to normal. Thanks for the help. Have learned a lot on this forum.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD View Post
Went back to my photos and went through the wiring diagram step by step. Found that my helper had told me wrong on one cable.
Great news that it's working and no fuses blew.

One suggestion for everyone reading here for future reference, BEFORE disconnecting any cables from the batteries, mark the cables, positive and negative. On my rig, all cables are black, so I wrapped the positive cables with red electrical tape.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Great news that it's working and no fuses blew.

One suggestion for everyone reading here for future reference, BEFORE disconnecting any cables from the batteries, mark the cables, positive and negative. On my rig, all cables are black, so I wrapped the positive cables with red electrical tape.
Interesting. The positive cable on my battery bank on my Jay Flight 23RB is red. The negative cable is black.

When I changed from a single Grp 24 battery to a pair of GC 6 volt batteries, I had to choose either a red or black cable to go from the negative of the first battery to the positive of the 2nd battery. I chose a 2 ga red cable.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Interesting. The positive cable on my battery bank on my Jay Flight 23RB is red. The negative cable is black.
Knowing Jayco/Thor, they probably used what ever cable they had laying around when they built my rig, and they were out of red.