Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

Bauer lock on Accolade/Seneca key stuck

Well, finally we brought the Accolade home today. I have thought there could not be any dealers as bad a Camping World. I was wrong.

Now to the issue. When we got the coach home I was tinkering around inside and when finished I went to lock the door. Instead of using the keypad I decided to use the key. Now the key seems to do nothing and is stuck in the door and I can't turn the key far enough counter clockwise to remove it. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

Congrats on the RV. Bugs will be worked out and you will hopefully love it.

Make sure the door is completely closed. Mine was only partially latched and my wife got trapped inside. She had to the the emergency (cab passenger) door to narrowly escape. Lol. My lock and handle will not operate if door is not closed all the way.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

Door is closed all the way. The electronic part of the lock works fine but I can't turn the key far enough to get it to come out of the lock. The key will not lock or unlock the door as it is so there is no chance of someone getting inside.

I will give Bauer a call tomorrow and see what they have to say. Maybe they'll send me a new lock.

Another thing I notice today is the rear wheel front mud flap is not very secure and apparently the wind while driving is pushing it into the rear wheels. Looks like it needs a mounting hole and self tapping screw for security.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Update

Caller Bauer products and talked to Vicky who provided some excellent customer service. She discussed the issue with an engineer and they decided that I will try to force the key into the removal position using a pair of pliers realizing the key may break. At the same time she is having them pull a new lock for UPS shipment to the house.

Better service than the dealer by a mile.

FWIW, and it will cause some discussion, Vicky told me that Bauer recommends using Energizer batteries only in the locks. According to them other batteries cannot handle the repeated load of moving the deadbolt back and forth. They also recommend that when the RV is not used for a couple of weeks to pull the batteries from the lock and then reinstall them prior to the next trip.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

Update 2

I was able to use a pair of pliers and rotate the key enough to pull it free from the lock. Also this morning I received the UPS tracking number and delivery date of tomorrow for the replacement lock. Looks like lock replacement hits the to do list for this weekend.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Taking the batteries out every time when home for a while sounds stupid. Just keep extra batteries in coach is what I do..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Another thing I notice today is the rear wheel front mud flap is not very secure and apparently the wind while driving is pushing it into the rear wheels. Looks like it needs a mounting hole and self tapping screw for security.

This is VERY common and it is usually due to the heads breaking off the screws they use. I originally replace the screws with larger self tappers but eventually made new flap braces out of thicker metal.
Attached Thumbnails
0751981A-5D0C-4C0F-BD60-4CABA516667E.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
This is VERY common and it is usually due to the heads breaking off the screws they use. I originally replace the screws with larger self tappers but eventually made new flap braces out of thicker metal.
On mine there are no screws used for mounting on the top of the flap bracket. It is only mounted to the coach on the side of the bracket.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #9

The new Bauer lock (batteries not included) arrived today. Sitting on the desk the key opens and locks with ease and key removal is simple. Based on my calendar for the week it may be next week before I complete the installation.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #10

EA37 Looks like you got it under control for the key/lock. I have the same Bauer setup and knock on wood, It's been working fine since I purchased it back in April.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

Lock replaced

Replaced the Bauer lock this afternoon. It took about 30 minutes to replace the lock and I believe it could have been quicker with an additional set of hands but the DW was gallivanting around with the grand kids.

The old lock was totally inoperative when I went out to the coach so no choice but to replace it. Luckily the Super C has another way of getting in and out.

A couple of things I noticed. First, this problem must have been identified and not corrected. There was evidence on the screws that they had been removed and one screw was so loose it was almost out. Second, I need to get some caulking and caulk around the exterior of the lock. There was water present in the door cavity and behind the exterior portion of the lock It could be the old lock being loose was preventing the lock seal from doing its job.

With the exception of caulking, this task is complete so on to the next.