Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Bearing/race/seal parts

Coming up on the 40k mile mark and am planning to repack the bearings before I put it away for the winter. One of the wheels squeaks when it is cold and sounds rotational, so I figured I would buy all the components to put new bearings in.

I want to have all the parts on hand so I don't have to leave the rig in the air if I find something bad when I do the inspection. IF all looks good, I will just squirrel away the parts until I do need them.

Problem.......when I look online at places like RockAuto, Motorcraft only lists one grease seal. Called Ford and they said there are two separate part numbers. Called another Ford dealer and they said nope, its only one part number.

Anyone know which one is right? The Ford dealer is 5x the price just for parts........for the same parts (same brand).
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Best way is to take the numbers off the bearings but that would require take at least one side all a part. I know it's a pain but still the best way.
MccBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

You mentioned Ford, what are you looking to replace bearings on.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

'16 E-450 Greyhawk
Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It seems like you're talking about a MH. Just do your intended maintenance and if you see failed parts get them local as you go.
Write down the bearing/seal numbers and buy a set for backup you can take along with you on the road.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

I am surprised it has replaceable bearings, most everything has gone to replacing the complete hub. Maybe due to the heavy duty E-450, my last F-350 I had to replace the hub when the bearing went.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
It seems like you're talking about a MH. Just do your intended maintenance and if you see failed parts get them local as you go.
Write down the bearing/seal numbers and buy a set for backup you can take along with you on the road.
So, I don't want to be at the point where I have it apart and have to leave it in the air. If I am going to repack the bearings, I need new grease seals at a bare minimum. This is the main problem I have. I don't know if they are different inner to outer and the Ford dealer seems to be confused as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Team

(snip)--[QUOTE= One of the wheels squeaks when it is cold and sounds rotational, so I figured I would buy all the components to put new bearings in".

The squeak is likely from the disc brake. A very slight rotor warp will make it come and go as the wheel rotates. It may be where yours is coming from. 99.9'/, of brake squeal comes from between the brake pad backing plate and the caliper. A shim material will stop it temporarily. A bearing issue at 40,000 miles seems a bit unusual.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Go to Fordparts.com and input your VIN, it will list all parts. Taking a quick look the front looks like you have to purchase the hub/rotor assembly, no bearing only. The rear shows bearing and seal part numbers.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Go to Fordparts.com and input your VIN, it will list all parts. Taking a quick look the front looks like you have to purchase the hub/rotor assembly, no bearing only. The rear shows bearing and seal part numbers.
Thanks for the link hint.

I'm not sure which vehicle you were looking at (maybe F53 chassis?), but the diagram lists the bearings as serviceable. Interestingly, the inner and outer bearings are different, races are different and there is only one inner seal with the dust cap being the "outer seal."
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Axle Motorhome.png  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;565308](snip)--[QUOTE= One of the wheels squeaks when it is cold and sounds rotational, so I figured I would buy all the components to put new bearings in".

The squeak is likely from the disc brake. A very slight rotor warp will make it come and go as the wheel rotates. It may be where yours is coming from. 99.9'/, of brake squeal comes from between the brake pad backing plate and the caliper. A shim material will stop it temporarily. A bearing issue at 40,000 miles seems a bit unusual.[/QUOTE]

This was different. It kind of reminded me like a "squeaky" spring bed mattress. Every time the wheel would rotate it would make that noise for a second and was speed dependent. When the RV warmed up, it mostly went away.

It doesn't have the classic squeal tab sound.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

Two things come to mind for me. First of all it seems premature to have to pack the wheel bearings and second I don't believe it has anything but sealed bearings in the hub, you replace hub and all. I guess third, I wouldn't do anything, but drive it until I fell the need from age and 40K is too soon. Today's bearings last forever. I put 100.000 miles on my 94 E350 when I sold it and it is still going, I did however have to replace the disc brakes and rotors at 95,000. Good luck
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

It's probably just dust causing the squeak, if the rotor was warped you would feel it in the brake pedal as you applied the brake and if the pads were worn down to the squeak tab that rubs the rotor, installed at the factory it would squeal only as you apply the brake also.If it really annoys you pull the wheels so you can get to the brake pads and use air pressure to blow them clean and dry, personally I think you are worrying too much.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
Two things come to mind for me. First of all it seems premature to have to pack the wheel bearings and second I don't believe it has anything but sealed bearings in the hub, you replace hub and all. I guess third, I wouldn't do anything, but drive it until I fell the need from age and 40K is too soon. Today's bearings last forever. I put 100.000 miles on my 94 E350 when I sold it and it is still going, I did however have to replace the disc brakes and rotors at 95,000. Good luck
I thought it would be a sealed bearing as well. Turns out they are still using the old school stuff. Manual says to check and repack every 30k miles. This is pretty standard for a tapered bearing setup. I'm a little late as mine has 36k miles on it now.

I have all the parts now. If the bearings look good, I will just repack and save them for later. It'll need new inner seals anyway since you have to remove them to take the bearing out.

Attachment from ford....
Attached Thumbnails
MaintenanceSchedule.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Isn't that craziness, I appreciate the note and I had an auto parts store for 40 years with a machine shop and service center. Sold out 10 years and smarty pants me doesn't Know as much as I thought!
I have an 06 E450 but only 25,000 miles I will go under and take a look.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #16

If it squeaks cold like others said it's the brakes. If it is a bearing it will be squeaking all the time. Is this a recommended service? Seams too soon for 40 k miles. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stans02 View Post
If it squeaks cold like others said it's the brakes. If it is a bearing it will be squeaking all the time. Is this a recommended service? Seams too soon for 40 k miles. Stan
I guess I should revise....squeak is the wrong word.

I wish I had some other way to describe it other than an old box spring for a bed. At first I thought it was the spring itself and maybe one of the spring isolators was bad, but even on my driveway at really slow speeds you can hear it....until it gets warm, then it goes away.

Probably going to do the bearings soon. Its a rotational noise, so if the bearings and/or the brake inspection doesn't fix it, I'm outa ideas.