Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Bearing/race/seal parts

Coming up on the 40k mile mark and am planning to repack the bearings before I put it away for the winter. One of the wheels squeaks when it is cold and sounds rotational, so I figured I would buy all the components to put new bearings in.

I want to have all the parts on hand so I don't have to leave the rig in the air if I find something bad when I do the inspection. IF all looks good, I will just squirrel away the parts until I do need them.

Problem.......when I look online at places like RockAuto, Motorcraft only lists one grease seal. Called Ford and they said there are two separate part numbers. Called another Ford dealer and they said nope, its only one part number.

Anyone know which one is right? The Ford dealer is 5x the price just for parts........for the same parts (same brand).

foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Best way is to take the numbers off the bearings but that would require take at least one side all a part. I know it's a pain but still the best way.

MccBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

You mentioned Ford, what are you looking to replace bearings on.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

'16 E-450 Greyhawk
Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It seems like you're talking about a MH. Just do your intended maintenance and if you see failed parts get them local as you go.
Write down the bearing/seal numbers and buy a set for backup you can take along with you on the road.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

I am surprised it has replaceable bearings, most everything has gone to replacing the complete hub. Maybe due to the heavy duty E-450, my last F-350 I had to replace the hub when the bearing went.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
It seems like you're talking about a MH. Just do your intended maintenance and if you see failed parts get them local as you go.
Write down the bearing/seal numbers and buy a set for backup you can take along with you on the road.
So, I don't want to be at the point where I have it apart and have to leave it in the air. If I am going to repack the bearings, I need new grease seals at a bare minimum. This is the main problem I have. I don't know if they are different inner to outer and the Ford dealer seems to be confused as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

(snip)--[QUOTE= One of the wheels squeaks when it is cold and sounds rotational, so I figured I would buy all the components to put new bearings in".

The squeak is likely from the disc brake. A very slight rotor warp will make it come and go as the wheel rotates. It may be where yours is coming from. 99.9'/, of brake squeal comes from between the brake pad backing plate and the caliper. A shim material will stop it temporarily. A bearing issue at 40,000 miles seems a bit unusual.
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Go to Fordparts.com and input your VIN, it will list all parts. Taking a quick look the front looks like you have to purchase the hub/rotor assembly, no bearing only. The rear shows bearing and seal part numbers.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Go to Fordparts.com and input your VIN, it will list all parts. Taking a quick look the front looks like you have to purchase the hub/rotor assembly, no bearing only. The rear shows bearing and seal part numbers.
Thanks for the link hint.

I'm not sure which vehicle you were looking at (maybe F53 chassis?), but the diagram lists the bearings as serviceable. Interestingly, the inner and outer bearings are different, races are different and there is only one inner seal with the dust cap being the "outer seal."
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Axle Motorhome.png