Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Bent "Ready Brake"

I ran thru a marked "BUMP" on a 4 lane divided highway in Colorado last week. I was towing a 4 door JK with a motor home, It felt as if the front wheels of the 35GS came off the ground. I was on the brake at the time trying to slow down. When checking for damage i discovered the Ready Brake was bent downward 15 to 20 degrees.I feel that the back of the motor home went down when the front came up and put too much downward slope on the tow bar. This action while stabbing the brakes I think caused the receiver tube on the Ready Brake to bend. Receiver hitch, tow bar, JK, and 35GS are fine.Towed another 1000 miles without Ready Brake.Will talk with manufacturer next week about this and repair parts.
plumberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

Since I have a ReadyBrute I just want to clarify. I think the ReadyBrake is the stand alone receiver section that you then attach your own brand of tow bar too correct?

Maybe post some photo's of the damage if you have a chance. Sorry it did that. Really sorry that happened to you.

My biggest complaint with ReadyBrute is that they ship with the 45 degree angle hitch pins and after some miles, they have began to eat out the aluminum clevis. I got ahold of the company and they claim that these are only intened for temporary use and that flat shoulder hitch pins are the answer.

Then for $3 retail from farm supply, why don't they ship with them in the first place?

Other than that, we are nearing the end of a 6K mile trip towing our Cherokee Trailhawk without any other issues.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote