Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #41

We would have loved to have a Jeep, but the price point was too high for us. We also wanted it mainly for transportation and storage. We bought a manual Chevy Spark. Our granddaughters call it the "Barbie Car", but we can flat tow it, it's easy to zip around in, and we can take our dog in it away from camp. . . and we use it to haul our paddleboards and blow them up when we get to the lakeside from it's battery. Easy and works for us.
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #42

Crv

We have a 2014 Honda CRV that we tow behind our Greyhawk 31. The later models of the CRV can’t tow though because Honda changes the the transmission, so be sure to check specs
RVcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #43

Lightbulb Tow Vehicle

The best that I have found is my 2015 2dr Jeep Wrangler.
WhalerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #44

Which of the new Broncos can be flat towed?
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
It doesn’t sound like a Jeep truck would interest you as a TOAD, but we tow one behind our 2020 26Y. Love the versatility. We purchased our 2020 in 2019 and it has accrued many miles behind our rig. We use Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System w/ Wireless Coachlink Monitor - Proportional.
If we did not have the Explorer that would probably be the next choice the jeep truck. I like that vehicle. We will also use the stay n play duo. I have been considering getting the wireless coachlink monitor, we may do that as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Flying Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRV4me View Post
We would have loved to have a Jeep, but the price point was too high for us. We also wanted it mainly for transportation and storage. We bought a manual Chevy Spark. Our granddaughters call it the "Barbie Car", but we can flat tow it, it's easy to zip around in, and we can take our dog in it away from camp. . . and we use it to haul our paddleboards and blow them up when we get to the lakeside from it's battery. Easy and works for us.
Satisfactory
J
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
Satisfactory
J
I have a 2018 F150 that can be flat towed but I didn't realize that until after we purchased a 2012 CRV to be used as our TOAD. I'm interested to hear more opinions on towing a pickup. It isn't that heavy but significantly longer than the CRV.
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Eagle View Post
We just bought a 2021 Greyhawk 29MVP and are looking to find the best vehicle to tow behind it. We love our new motor home and were hoping to tow a vehicle behind it soon. Any suggestions on the best choice of toad?

We have 2019 Redhawk 25R

I researched toads, till the toads came home!

My biggest concern was and always will be, weight. My choices as follows;

Honda CRV up to 2014 (last year to be flat towed) at 3,300lbs it’s light snd roomy.

Jeep TrailHawk. I didn’t want to spend the extra $1k for the wiring harness to keep the active2 steering always on to prevent the death wobble. But I almost did.

Ford ranger pickup, must be 4x4, (Lariat), to flat tow. I needed an SUV so I can put my dogs crate in the back and she doesn’t annoy us. But the ranger is one of the best pickups I’ve driven!

Ford Flex. A large vehicle for its weight and 8 passengers! Wife hated it.

Lincon Nautilus. I loved it, wife didn’t want to spend that much.

We settled on a 2014 Honda CRV, 2WD. Took me 8 months to find one with low mileage and leather! We love it.

DONT GET SUCKED IN TO BUYING A DOLLY !
BIGGEST REGRET WHEN WE STARTED OUT 6 years ago. Go with a flat tow, spend the money once! Learn from my mistake please!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
Which of the new Broncos can be flat towed?
All new Broncos except for the bronco sport can be flat-towed
Old 06-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
We have 2019 Redhawk 25R

I researched toads, till the toads came home!

My biggest concern was and always will be, weight. My choices as follows;

Honda CRV up to 2014 (last year to be flat towed) at 3,300lbs it’s light snd roomy.

Jeep TrailHawk. I didn’t want to spend the extra $1k for the wiring harness to keep the active2 steering always on to prevent the death wobble. But I almost did.

Ford ranger pickup, must be 4x4, (Lariat), to flat tow. I needed an SUV so I can put my dogs crate in the back and she doesn’t annoy us. But the ranger is one of the best pickups I’ve driven!

Ford Flex. A large vehicle for its weight and 8 passengers! Wife hated it.

Lincon Nautilus. I loved it, wife didn’t want to spend that much.

We settled on a 2014 Honda CRV, 2WD. Took me 8 months to find one with low mileage and leather! We love it.

DONT GET SUCKED IN TO BUYING A DOLLY !
BIGGEST REGRET WHEN WE STARTED OUT 6 years ago. Go with a flat tow, spend the money once! Learn from my mistake please!
I agree that our biggest concern is the weight of our toad. But, since we already own out-right the explorer we most likely we are going with that, unless we get our new bronco later this year.

And I completely agree with you there is no way that we are going to use a dolly to tow anything.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #51

We have a Jayco 22J and needed something for basic transportation that could be flat towed and didn't weigh much. Ended up with a 2017 Honda Fit with a manual transmission. We love it and can't even tell we're towing!
It's Just Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #52

We have a 2017 Greyhawk 29 MVP as well. Have been looking at towing a 2006 Grand Prix FWD on a Tow Smart Stand Up Dolly. Anyone used one of these dollys? Hate to spend $ on something that wouldn't work right and the Co is out in Santa Fe Springs CA so it's hard to get them to answer questions with their Covid Governor still in power.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Camping View Post
We have a Jayco 22J and needed something for basic transportation that could be flat towed and didn't weigh much. Ended up with a 2017 Honda Fit with a manual transmission. We love it and can't even tell we're towing!
Something that size that you can’t even tell you’re towing sure does make life easier.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #54

Isn't there a problem towing a car without raising the drive wheels? If you tow a stick shift car you can ruin the transmission. I don't know about automajics though.
tlbranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Eagle View Post
I agree that our biggest concern is the weight of our toad. But, since we already own out-right the explorer we most likely we are going with that, unless we get our new bronco later this year.

And I completely agree with you there is no way that we are going to use a dolly to tow anything.
I wanted a Bronco, but I got sick of waiting for production!
Old 06-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #56

Just be sure that the info you got on the trans case on the Bronco was from a tech savy person and in writing and not a salesman unless they are one in the same
Old 06-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #57

All the new fords are easy to check if they can be flat towed. When at a dealership , DONT LISTEN TO ANY SALESMAN, just go to the the vehicle. Go through the menu on the information cluster, if there is no flat tow mode in the menu then it can not be flat towed!
Old 06-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbranth View Post
Isn't there a problem towing a car without raising the drive wheels? If you tow a stick shift car you can ruin the transmission. I don't know about automajics though.
2 things need to be verified.

1.Does the transfer case disconnect.

2. Or, Can the automatic transmission spin in neutral and be lubricated at the same time, if so at what speeds. (Splash lubricated) or you need to install an aux pump system.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #59

Jeep Wrangler of course. Stick shift the best. Easy to tow.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
We have a 2017 Greyhawk 29 MVP as well. Have been looking at towing a 2006 Grand Prix FWD on a Tow Smart Stand Up Dolly. Anyone used one of these dollys? Hate to spend $ on something that wouldn't work right and the Co is out in Santa Fe Springs CA so it's hard to get them to answer questions with their Covid Governor still in power.
Don’t dolly tow unless you absolutely have to. If it’s the price that concerns you, I understand, but it’s a pain in many ways, especially on your body. I did it for 5 years and I went to flat towing. Best thing I ever did. Others will tell you it’s not that bad, please learn from my mistakes!