Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi2017 View Post
I've searched the forum for a solution to my specific WiFi situation but nothing addresses my need. Hoping someone hear can help.
I have a Jayco 29MV that I travel to Florida in the winter. The campground I stay at has a marginal/weak WiFi system I want to be able to capture that WiFi signal, amplify it and bring it into my RV. I don't want it to terminate in a USB connection as we don't use laptops. I simply want the WiFi signal in my vehicle strong enough so my wife and I can use our tablets and their WiFi connections. I just need to get a stronger signal inside.
What's the best way/system/components to accomplish this?
thanks
We had a very similar issue - I went to my local Best Buy, and spoke to someone there in electronics. Purchased a 2GHRZ signal booster. It definitely helped, but remember, you still need to be close to the campgrounds router.
Tony from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #22

We use ATT hotspot in our rig. $40.00 per mo, unlimited data, streams Hulu, DirecttvNow and Netflix from our Amazon Firestick (Amazon prime too). Secure wifi that runs above as well as laptop, iPhones, Kindle's. We are very happy with it.
Lynn Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #23

I have installed a Verizon Jetpack ($10 a month added to my plan) and added a MIMO dome antenna on the roof, has 15dbi gain and receives much better than my phone, creates a wifi hotspot in your rv with most all the things you need like password protection, guest network, up to 15 devices, 2.4 & 5Mhz bands. I also have a long range yagi on a telescoping pole I can connect if I am way out in the boondocks. You can also switch your phone to wifi calling.
As a side note, you do know you can hook to a parks wifi with 5 bars and still have a very slow data throughput due to slow speeds and too many connections. That's why I don't use them unless there is no cell signal at all.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #24

Almost never use park wifi. There are times when hotspot has low bars, and we can use iPhone as hot spot
Lynn Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #25

Just go get a Verizon Jet Pack It makes life simpler. I use it all the time. Dont have to fool it under preforming campground wifi's any more.
R2Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #26

Amplifying and repeating weak crappy congested campground internet results in strong crappy congested internet.

Net gain, frustration.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #27

We use WiFi Ranger system and are very pleased with the ease of installation, set-up, use, and customer service. There are two components needed to accomplish your desired outcome. First, a system to locate and amplify the existing signal. Second, a system to broadcast the enhanced signal in your coach much like a router does for your home system. The WiFi Ranger does both tasks extremely well. The booster component involves the installation of an antenna on your roof. This antenna is connected to router mounted inside your RV.
sail154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
This is what I did as well. When I first purchased this, we were at our seasonal site and did not have a router with us. I bought the Ubiquiti router mentioned in the video. The following year, I brought a router. The Ubiquiti is simple to setup. It can be mounted inside as well, so no need to drill a hole in the camper if you have a window in the general direction of the park's access point(s).

I have clear line of site to an access point that's about 1,000 feet away. There are closer access points, but there are lots of trees between our site and the access point. Speed is about the same whether we use our wifi or the parks. Since there are closer access points, speed isn't the issue. For us, the issue is latency (aka lag). The park's wifi, because of the trees, has lots of lag. Using the Ubiquiti, we have very little lag.

As reported by the dd-wrt firmware on the router, we use anywhere from 50 to 75 GB of data a month. The only time we have internet issues is when the parks internet goes down. Since we have our own network, we can still print if need be and we have access to our Network Attached Storage (NAS), so I can continue to work if the internet is down.

With the Ubiquiti, it is easy to change from the park's wifi access point to using my smartphone as a hot spot. So if the park's internet is down for an extended period, I can supply everyone in the family with Wifi and still have use of the printer and NAS (which is wired only).

Edited to add: We used the same setup in our Greyhawk with the antenna connected to one of the grab handles in the cab, so again, I didn't have to mount it outside and drill holes in the RV.

-Michael
I used this as well. Works great for us.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #29

Halo Long Range Marine & RV Wi-Fi Extender System

We use this.
http://a.co/d/f8f1SPS

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #30

Weak WiFi Signal

Good luck with this. There is no shortage of “booster” products claiming to do just what you seek and, scientifically, their claims may have basis. From a practical point of view, however, you will likely be disappointed with results. WiFi is still an emerging ammenity in most campgrounds, particularly public. Plus, the cellular providers are steadily beefing up their networks thereby lessening the incentive for campgrounds to invest in WiFi hardware and/or make recurring payments for their wired connection on the backside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi2017 View Post
I've searched the forum for a solution to my specific WiFi situation but nothing addresses my need. Hoping someone hear can help.
I have a Jayco 29MV that I travel to Florida in the winter. The campground I stay at has a marginal/weak WiFi system I want to be able to capture that WiFi signal, amplify it and bring it into my RV. I don't want it to terminate in a USB connection as we don't use laptops. I simply want the WiFi signal in my vehicle strong enough so my wife and I can use our tablets and their WiFi connections. I just need to get a stronger signal inside.
What's the best way/system/components to accomplish this?
thanks
Bruco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #31

Posted in wrong topic
Big Kahuna 19547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #32

We use a comcast 750mb/s wifi extender plugged into one of the house plugs. $20 CAD from aliexpress. But available from many vendors. It allows us to stream netflix and YouTube on all our devices including the smart tv.
MacZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #33

We use the Camp Pro(Alfa) as well and work good. Have had very good results wherever we go as long as the WiFi you are boosting is reliable.
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliney1016 View Post
We use the Camp Pro(Alfa) as well and work good. Have had very good results wherever we go as long as the WiFi you are boosting is reliable.
I just did some speed tests @ home with my Alfa WiFi Camp-Pro system. Broadly speaking, the Alfa repeater drops speeds to about 1/3rd of what they are if you can directly connect to the source.

Not bad, better than nothing.

But I agree, a personal HotSpot that uses a 4G connection would be greatly preferable.

Here at Elk Meadows, I'm under the WiFi Access Point and still cannot get onto the network. If, by chance, I can connect, I can't really get anywhere. It's too crowded and the downlink too small.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

But I agree, a personal HotSpot that uses a 4G connection would be greatly preferable.
Indeed, and with the carriers all offering reasonably priced plans now there really are very few reasons not to do it. Plus you can hotspot while traveling and with a signal booster you can up your bars in weak areas. I think the eventual deployment of 5G will greatly improve quality of service as well.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #36

Any time I've been at a campground that had free WiFi I've found that when I try to use it I have overpaid

I just roam my phone in the US but with the current Rogers charges I may rethink that for this winter. It's now 105$/mo CDN where it used to be 50$/mo (10gb, unlimited talk/txt).
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I have installed a Verizon Jetpack ($10 a month added to my plan) and added a MIMO dome antenna on the roof, has 15dbi gain
Please share what antennas you are using. I'm looking at mounting a Yagi on the Winegard TV antenna mast - that folds up/down and is directional by controls inside of the Seneca. That way I can align it directionally and not have to climb up on the roof.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #38

Poor WiFi

I use the Yagi from technorv.com and it works great. I hope this helps. Also the tech support is beyond good.
lilbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #39

The Engenius is what I use. I have adapted it to screw on an extension pole velcroed to my ladder in back. I route the cable down the pole and around to my slide out. I feed the wire through the slide out seals into the trailer and plug it into power to lan dongle mounted right next to the slide out in the entertainment center. The other side of the dongle goes to an old netgear router that is configured exactly the same as my residential home. So my devices, phones, pads and laptops are unchanged.
Stmaplebury is offline   Reply With Quote