Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Beware the sun

My Greyhawk has a couch that is vinyl covered that is on the driver's side. It sets right under a window. The window shade pulls down all the way, however, if leaves enough space for the sun to get through and shine on the back vinyl of the couch. Yesterday, I noticed the exposed vinyl was starting to dry out because of this...
So got out the Armor All with UV protectorant and spayed the heck out of it, and also found a cover to keep on it when not in use: I just put the privacy curtain on the back of the couch, since I have another cover on the windshield.

Just a heads up for those that might have an older Greyhawk
Old 02-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

You might want to try window tint.

Gila makes kits for houses that should work for you to block UV and some heat.
Or a regular car window tint installer.

I use reflective bubble wrap type insulation when not using my camper, have for years. Cuts out heat and UV 100%. Took it with me to the mountains and saved heat at night also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

Can you explain more about the bubble wrap insulation? Where do you put it,where do you get it etc?
Thanks!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
Can you explain more about the bubble wrap insulation? Where do you put it,where do you get it etc?
Thanks!
The wife ordered REFLECTIX Insulating Material (Amazon). She used her sewing experience to create patterns of the stuff to accommodate the windows of our Greyhawk MV.

She had them fitting the various windows like no manufacture could accomplish. She really did a "great" job.

Before those insulating pieces covered our windows, we experienced Roswell, NM on Fourth of July (115 degrees). It was "HOT" in the coach with the AC struggling. A few hot days after she created those window insulation covers, they proved to us that it worked very well in keeping the coach cooler. It was obvious the AC did not struggle nearly as much in keeping the interior cool.

FYI ...... The windshield and side truck doors are covered by a product from HEATHER'S ORIGINAL HEAT SHEILD. We chose the gold surface because the exterior of the coach is light brown. I think it looks "REALLY GREAT" from the outside. Works great to. We also purchased the heat shield for the Subaru windshield (TOAD), in an attempt to protect the dashboard while towing and parked.

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

I was suggesting the Reflectix as well. I found a 36 inch wide roll that I use to cover all my windows between the curtains and the glass. So far 3 years and no sigh of deterioration. I also have a skylight piece fitted and Velcro in each corner to keep it up. Great to avoid to much morning sunlight waking me up.

It is available in various widths at Lowes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-5...5-ft-L/3011904

Home depot
Reflectix 24 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab-ST24025 - The Home Depot

menards
http://www.menards.com/main/building...71854279378917
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
couch, sun