Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2023, 11:23 PM   #1

Bigfoot or EQ Systems Automatic Levelers

Hi,
I have a 2020 Jayco Redhawk 24B. I’m considering adding automatic levelers. Thanks to the great feedback on the forum, I’ve narrowed my choices to Bigfoot or EQ Systems. Both seem like solid systems – it’s been said that it’s like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Bentley. I can’t find an after-market option for Lippert. I saw options for FW and TT, but not motorhomes. I think I read somewhere that they are an OEM-only vendor for motorhomes.

So here’s where I’m stuck - which system is the best fit for me? When I contacted Bigfoot with questions, they responded in less than 24 hours. EQ Systems took two weeks to respond. So I feel better about Bigfoot’s support system. Advantage Bigfoot

However, I don’t have the technical expertise to install this system, so I need an RV shop to do it for me. Both manufacturers are in Michigan, but I don’t want to do a 2,000-mile trip. I’m in rural Northern California, and the RV shop for EQ systems is “only” 75 miles away in Medford, OR. But I’d need to travel 250 miles to Folsom, CA for the closest authorized Bigfoot shop. (Yeah, the same Folsom where Johnny Cash recorded his record.) If anything goes wrong post sale, I have the same problem. Advantage EQ Systems

Per the owner’s manual, it looks like the pump/tank components for Bigfoot are protected by a case. That offers some protections against dirt, damage by loose gravel, or other road hazards. I don’t think that’s the case with EQ Systems. Advantage Bigfoot

EQ Systems has a one-year warranty, while the Bigfoot warranty is two years. (But I’d have to drive 250 miles for warranty work…) I didn’t see any initial quality-related issues in my research. I guess this one is a tie.

EQ Systems has Bluetooth operation, Bigfoot does not. (I really like my Victron solar controller Bluetooth app I used with my Go Power Solar system and Battleborn batteries) Advantage EQ Systems

For now, I’m leaning toward Bigfoot due to the better support, protected pump/tank, and longer warranty. I’d love to hear other opinions.

BTW – my Schwintech slide is being rebuilt for the second time in three years. This process started in September. I was told that the parts would ship this week, but we’ll see. Like many others with this slide system, I have reserved an appointment with Vroom for late September to get it replaced. It’s a big road trip, but I think it’s worth it.

Sorry about the length... I just wanted folks to know what I'm thinking.

David
2019 Hummingbird MBS SOLD!
1 spoiled dog
cheverly262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheverly262 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2020 Jayco Redhawk 24B. I’m considering adding automatic levelers. Thanks to the great feedback on the forum, I’ve narrowed my choices to Bigfoot or EQ Systems. Both seem like solid systems – it’s been said that it’s like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Bentley. I can’t find an after-market option for Lippert. I saw options for FW and TT, but not motorhomes. I think I read somewhere that they are an OEM-only vendor for motorhomes.

So here’s where I’m stuck - which system is the best fit for me? When I contacted Bigfoot with questions, they responded in less than 24 hours. EQ Systems took two weeks to respond. So I feel better about Bigfoot’s support system. Advantage Bigfoot

However, I don’t have the technical expertise to install this system, so I need an RV shop to do it for me. Both manufacturers are in Michigan, but I don’t want to do a 2,000-mile trip. I’m in rural Northern California, and the RV shop for EQ systems is “only” 75 miles away in Medford, OR. But I’d need to travel 250 miles to Folsom, CA for the closest authorized Bigfoot shop. (Yeah, the same Folsom where Johnny Cash recorded his record.) If anything goes wrong post sale, I have the same problem. Advantage EQ Systems

Per the owner’s manual, it looks like the pump/tank components for Bigfoot are protected by a case. That offers some protections against dirt, damage by loose gravel, or other road hazards. I don’t think that’s the case with EQ Systems. Advantage Bigfoot

EQ Systems has a one-year warranty, while the Bigfoot warranty is two years. (But I’d have to drive 250 miles for warranty work…) I didn’t see any initial quality-related issues in my research. I guess this one is a tie.

EQ Systems has Bluetooth operation, Bigfoot does not. (I really like my Victron solar controller Bluetooth app I used with my Go Power Solar system and Battleborn batteries) Advantage EQ Systems

For now, I’m leaning toward Bigfoot due to the better support, protected pump/tank, and longer warranty. I’d love to hear other opinions.

BTW – my Schwintech slide is being rebuilt for the second time in three years. This process started in September. I was told that the parts would ship this week, but we’ll see. Like many others with this slide system, I have reserved an appointment with Vroom for late September to get it replaced. It’s a big road trip, but I think it’s worth it.

Sorry about the length... I just wanted folks to know what I'm thinking.

David
I have a 2014 Seneca with the factory-installed Bigfoot 4-pump system that works very well. I know a Seneca and a Redhawk are not "apples to apples", but I can tell you I am very satisfied with my system and that Bigfoot has always been very responsive to all my inquiries. Nice, helpful folks.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:14 AM   #3

I installed the EQ system myself on a 2016 Melbourne (MB Sprinter chassis). I had a couple questions during the install and I either talked to someone first call or got a call back within 12 hours if I remember correctly. I have no complaints.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #4

Years ago Jayco put Bigfoot leveling on a lot of their rigs. I was dismayed to see Jayco cost cut and move to Lippert. I’m a big fan of Bigfoot if you’re getting the version with individual pumps on each jack.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Years ago Jayco put Bigfoot leveling on a lot of their rigs. I was dismayed to see Jayco cost cut and move to Lippert. I’m a big fan of Bigfoot if you’re getting the version with individual pumps on each jack.
They changed all the time between manufactureres. Our 08 Seneca had Power Gear some Greyhawks had Equalizer. Lippert is Power Gear rebranded.

I too am a Big Foot fan as I went to White Pigeon and had them installed on our 01 as Jayco did not offer them then. Great install and follow up service.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #6

Not a MH, but my 5er's EQ systems hydraulic pump started leaking at the motor side pump seal at the 1 year mark. Entire pump assembly was replaced under warranty, typical long wait going through factory (jayco) warranty process. Replacement has been leak free so far about 1 year later.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:57 AM   #7

I can only speak to the Bigfoot System. We have a Melbourne 24L and scheduled an appt. to install the Bigfoot System at the factory at White Pigeon. Ever since that installation, pretty much all of our problems with our Schwintech slide have gone away. It is a family business and all are super friendly.

Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #8

For what it's worth, my Precept class A came with EQ and I am not a fan of it. I previously had a fifth wheel with the Lippert's LevelUp system and that was far superior. Given the choice between EQ and Bigfoot, Bigfoot would have my vote.

The bigger question is- given you are in a class C, what's your cargo carrying capacity and can you afford the weight of the automatic leveling system?
Old 01-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #9

Hi,
Thanks for the reminder, and I did calculate the new CCC capacity if I add levelers. I took my rig to the scales at Pilot. I added a full tank of water, food, DW, the dog, and clothes. Also added 8# for the ATF fluid, even thought the capacity is only 96oz. I saw two weight estimates for the levelers - 180 # and 300#, So I used 300#. Based on those assumptions, I'm 407# underweight on the front axle, and 820# underweight on the rear axle. So I think I'm in good shape. The CCC was one thing I really liked about the 24B.
1 spoiled dog
Old 01-17-2023, 04:10 PM   #10

I didn't see my replies yet, but thank you to everyone who responded and helped me make my decision.
1 spoiled dog
Old 01-18-2023, 01:17 PM   #11

EQ levelers

I have a 2023 24B and I had the EQ levelers installed at the dealer after purchase. They seem to operate well, but don't seem to have a lot of throw on the shaft. Don't know why the dealer installed them using the upper set of mounting holes instead of the lower ones.
Also... has anyone purchased square rubber pads for the 7 x 7 feet? They are expensive ($174.00 for a set of four) but I'm thinking they might be worth it.

Shoregrass
shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #12

Thanks for your reply. Just a guess, but they may have installed them that way to give you more ground clearance. But I could be wrong.

I still have my lego blocks, so I was going to use them as pads and see how it goes. They're 8 1/2 X 8 1/2, so they're large enough. I'll continue to place a piece of plywood under them to spread the weight a bit. Plus, the pads take about an inch away from your ground clearance, and I have a dip in my driveway so it could be close. I have heard a lot of great things about the pads - at least the Snap Pad brand.

David
1 spoiled dog
Old 01-30-2023, 09:06 AM   #13

Not sure where to post this so I figured here was as good as anywhere (not intentionally following you around the forums David!!).

I'm also wanting to install auto levelers and called Bigfoot to see if they had any authorized installers closer to me and it turns out they do - Quality RV Solutions in Alvaredo, TX. Just called them for a quote and hit the floor - $10-15K.

That was after I called the guys in Lakeland, FL who quoted ~$6500. I'll have to call him back and see if I misunderstood, because that kind of difference just doesn't make sense.

And then I'll call up to MI and see what they're charging. My time is valuable, and I left the north because I don't like the cold, but $5K is a bit more than I'm willing to blow 'just because' I don't want to make an extra trip in my rig.
Mjliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:43 AM   #14

I paid $7700.00 to have the EQ system installed at Pete's RV in CT. So far, so good.
shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:03 PM   #15

I'm paying $6950. Labor is $2363, shipping is $492, tax is $295. I think the factory in MI has a discount in the winter.
1 spoiled dog
Old 01-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #16

I called White Pigeon and it's less than $6K up there - $4554 for the parts, $800 labor + 6% tax. They couldn't explain the extreme markup for the folks in TX, but we together thought maybe it's due to their inexperience - he said it'd take 3 hours to install in MI, while the TX folks said 24-32 hours, and they charge by the hour, so ........
1985 Champion SuperFisher
Old 02-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #17

I installed the Bigfoot system myself. Took me about 8-9 hours, but I spent a lot of time routing hoses, checking fittment, etc. The bigfoot system is decent aside from mixing SAE/metric fasteners which is very annoying.

I thought I remember them saying they wanted $800-1,000 for install.

It does make a huge difference if you have a Jayco/Entegra motorhome with the brackets already welded on the frame. Mine were already there, so that cut down install time by 12-14 hours if I had to bust out the welder and paint stuff.

Depending on year/make/model those brackets may or may not be there. That could be the largest difference in install price. Though the dealers could be scamming people if you already have the brackets and they don't know that or assume you don't either.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:54 PM   #18

I believe mine has the brackets already installed. Well, at least there are brackets welded onto the frame in 4 places that seem like appropriate locations for levelers. I know I’ve seen photos of them somewhere, and what it should look like under the rig if they’re there from the factory, but can’t find those pics now to be sure.

I’m happy to bolt on the levelers themselves myself, but am petrified to attempt the harnesses or install the command panel. Trying to figure out an excuse to make the drive up to MI when the weather, and my bank account, cooperate.
1985 Champion SuperFisher
Old 03-01-2023, 09:41 PM   #19

For what it is worth, my 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS came with the BigFoot system installed. It has never given me any trouble.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:55 AM   #20

recent installation

Just had Bigfoot levelers put on my 2014 Greyhawk 31 ds last week. Had it done at the factory and they could not have been better people to deal with. Went the night before and hooked up to electric there, had a 7 am appointment, was up drinking coffee at 6 am and the service manager seeing my light on said that their 6am appointment had cancelled and did I want it? They took the unit in and at 8:30am I had my unit back. Don't know anything yet , but the installation looks very professional and including snap pad was $4700 total. very pleased that I drove up there and had it done.
Oldfox is offline   Reply With Quote