Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Bigger propane tank 2014 seneca

Has anybody replaced oem propane tank with a larger one?
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Haven’t replaced the tank, but I do use an extend a stay with a portable tank.
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

I did some looking into it and came up with this one as the biggest that would fit in the same location, but would hang down a little further. Just waiting to see if I really need to move to a bigger tank or not.

Flame King YSN203 Horizontal ASME RV Propane Tank 20.3 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MRD6FBY..._yO8SCb3STGZG6

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Since we camp in COLD country a lot... I looked into the extra propane capacity too... After a lot of careful thought, I gave up on that idea and use the "stay a while" adapter that lets us tap into a 20# or 30# portable cylinder for the extra capacity.

We also have a Camp-Chef stove and we use the same cylinders for it. We now carry two full cylinders in one of our storage bays all the time.

But now that we are still camping in cold weather, we filled up 4 weeks ago and have been thru the Minnesota Artic Bomb Cyclone this week - and still have almost 3/4 tank. We have not had to get the Stay a While hooked up so far.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Since we camp in COLD country a lot... I looked into the extra propane capacity too... After a lot of careful thought, I gave up on that idea and use the "stay a while" adapter that lets us tap into a 20# or 30# portable cylinder for the extra capacity.

We also have a Camp-Chef stove and we use the same cylinders for it. We now carry two full cylinders in one of our storage bays all the time.

But now that we are still camping in cold weather, we filled up 4 weeks ago and have been thru the Minnesota Artic Bomb Cyclone this week - and still have almost 3/4 tank. We have not had to get the Stay a While hooked up so far.
This winter out of 82 nights we were only plugged in 14 nights. Had extend a stay, but wanted a bigger tank. Cost had previously dissuaded me, but good old amazon kept sending me offers. Finally a price drop, and measurements said it would fit. Spoiler 48 inch tank in a 48 inch space not good. Had to expand space slightly for clearance. Also new tank mounted differently and more weight so needed to devise different mounts. Turned into one of those "why did I start this?" projects. Its done now and now have 29.3 gal. instead of the 16 gal OEM.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_162117.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	48989Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_162122.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	48990Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_162124.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	48991
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #6

A close up look at your main picture looks like you have an extend a stay hookup, also. I think your set. Hope it meets your expectations.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

OK,newbie question. I also have a concern/worry about running out of propane and was wondering about options. I've seen the conversation about the "Extend a stay" kits. Not totally clear where it goes....

Question, where does it actually connect at the coach? Is that the "T" fitting that I see after the main shut-off valve, and it gets installed between the valve and the main feed to the coach? Is that the correct location?

I see some different hardware configurations by different manufacturers on Amazon, so which is the one to get? What are most people using?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

They are all similar and mount between the main tank and the regulator - I bought a kit with propane hoses included ( thought that I would save $$ by spending more upfront ) but I have bought longer hoses for more flexibility- we use the 20 lb tank anytime we are parked for more than a couple of days ( easy to take and refill )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
Sam

Last winter I purchased a 30 pound tank. Had been carrying two twenty pound tanks. I soon discovered the 30 pound tank was to heavy to be convenient. Moving it around from the side compartment and into the bed of my toad and other necessary moves was something that became a pain. So, I went back to carrying my two 20 pound tanks. For me, it really does work well. If gas delivery service was always available at the RV the 30 pound tank would work OK. It would have been great if Jayco had installed at least a 25 gallon tank in the Senecas.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote