Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Bilestein steering stabilizer

Bilestein stabilizer vs roadmaster reflex stabilizer for 2019 ford e450 class c. Talking about how much difference if any. Not cost
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

You’re basically going to get a bunch of “I’ve got it on my rig and it drives like a dream” type comments. With a few telling you to go for the expensive silver one whose name I can’t recall at the moment.

Any of them will be an improvement over the stock FOMOCO part. I have the Bilstein and I’m happy with it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

thanks, and did you install it yourself? I understand it is a one for one replacement on the 2019 e450. part#??? getting 9.5 mpg on our Jayco 22j. do not tow a toad. use enterprise and they are great.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bilstein just a damper, where the Reflex is a damper and also has the external spring to re-center the wheel?

Also, I've been looking all over for the Reflex and everyone is backordered at least to the end of the month. WTH, didn't Roadmaster anticipate it was RV season and ramp up production accordingly??????
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

Correct the Bilstein is just a damper. Most look to these to help with the slop in the steering.

This is what I installed, it took all of 10 minutes or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I don't have a issue yet with slop, as my unit is new. I want to correct the way it takes off over ruts and patches in the road, and gets blown back and forth from trucks and wind.

I have a Hellwig sway bar sitting here for it and trying to find a Reflex, and tackle the project at one time, but no one has the Reflex in stock...
Old 06-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #7

Slop = steering corrections. The stock FOMOCO damper is loose compared to the others. So steering corrections end up with you sawing at the wheel as you correct one way, then over correct the other. Caster helps fix this tremendously. An upgraded damper helps a bit more on top of a good alignment.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #8

Try ETrailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I don't have a issue yet with slop, as my unit is new. I want to correct the way it takes off over ruts and patches in the road, and gets blown back and forth from trucks and wind.

I have a Hellwig sway bar sitting here for it and trying to find a Reflex, and tackle the project at one time, but no one has the Reflex in stock...
I have been looking myself and it seems etrailer.com has them in stock.
Just don't forget to get the install brackets too.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

I talked to loadmaster and was told that 2018 and 2019 ford e450 might have a slightly different front end and did not have a 2019 part # yet...bummer 2018 might fit but not sure... looked at Trailer site loadmaster for 2019 e450 class c (NOT CONFIRMED TO FIT)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
I talked to loadmaster and was told that 2018 and 2019 ford e450 might have a slightly different front end and did not have a 2019 part # yet...
Strange...

When you go to the Roadmaster web site and enter 2019 Ford E450 Class C, it comes back with a specific part numbers for the stabilizer as RSSC and RBK24 for the brackets...

https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/...vehicle_type=8
Old 06-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Slop = steering corrections. The stock FOMOCO damper is loose compared to the others. So steering corrections end up with you sawing at the wheel as you correct one way, then over correct the other. Caster helps fix this tremendously. An upgraded damper helps a bit more on top of a good alignment.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Thanks, i will order them. Do not know why roadmaster tech. Said 2019 e450 may not be compatiable with 2018...
Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

That is specifically why I got a Safe-T-Plus, which is a steering stabilizer. When I hit a rut or a hole, it transmitted directly to my arms. I didn't like that- I felt every bump, hole, & movement in the road. The Safe-T-Plus removed that. If I have a flat on the front, it's going to help me steer through it. As well, it helped, not solved, the blowing from semis. It cost a little more than the other brands, but the lifetime warranty and the support I have received has made it worth it to me.

My next step was to get a good alignment. I work for a large cable company and our bucket trucks are f450s. So our mechanic shop knows them well. When they come out of the factory, they are in desperate need of an alignment. This also helped, but not solved, the being blow around bit.

Keep in mind you are driving a giant box. You aren't going to solve the wind issue completely, but you can mitigate it. I am extremely happy with how it drives now. Had I never drove a large truck before, I would have thought it drove decent before I did the stabilizer & alignment. It's one of those things that to feel, you need to 1) drive someones or 2) pay for it to get it done.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KregChar View Post
I have been looking myself and it seems etrailer.com has them in stock.
Just don't forget to get the install brackets too.
Etrailer showed them in stock, so I ordered it. Then, a little while a go I receive an email that they expect them in to their place in a week or so, so they are currently out of stock too...
Old 06-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post

Keep in mind you are driving a giant box. You aren't going to solve the wind issue completely, but you can mitigate it. I am extremely happy with how it drives now. Had I never drove a large truck before, I would have thought it drove decent before I did the stabilizer & alignment. It's one of those things that to feel, you need to 1) drive someones or 2) pay for it to get it done.
I get that, we'll never eliminate the big box being blown around. I'm not expecting miracles, I can deal with the way it handles now, but if adding a Roadmaster Reflex and a heavier sway bar in the front, calms it down even more, then it's a win.

I've seen people talking about the effects of the caster being out, but I don't notice those symptoms. It could be an issue, but not as noticeable to trying to fight and get it back under control after hitting a crappy patch or rut in the road. Maybe I need to slow down a bit.....

I also have a heavier sway bar coming in for the rear. We'll see how it handles after all these upgrades...

It's actually pretty sad, considering the prices of these coaches and these known steering issues, that Jayco doesn't automatically upgrade those components. They give themselves a bad reputation and name for known issues, that are easily fixed. It's like they add the J-Ride upgrades but don't go all the way with what's truly necessary for a decent ride...
Old 06-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #16

For me, it wasn't caster as much as the camber. So it was riding light in the front. Of course, once they adjusted that, they had to adjust the camber.

That's great you understand what they can do. I have to really tamp down my response, as folks have got it done, expected miracles, and when they don't get them, pointed fingers at me. I've driven a lot of big trucks with mechanical steering, so I know what they do. Sounds like you do, too.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #17

I talked to factory,6 to 8 week backlog. etrailer said 4 to 6 week backlog... for loadmaster reflex stabilizer
Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #18

There are so many similar and highly reviewed stabilizers to move in to. My first question would be is that the kind of support I’d get if I had an issue?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #19

just based on my conversations with loadmaster, about availability of. the loadmaster I do not believe you will have any problems, they are very informative and accommodating
Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #20

Perhaps a little late to the party, but I chose the Roadmaster Reflex, and I'm very happy with it. I chose it over the Bilstein because of the "stabilizer" function over just a damper. I chose it over the Safe-T-Steer based on price and future plans.

Future plans include adjusting caster up to the 5.5 range, installing Hellwig sway bar in front, and taller bumpstops, (last on the list for a reason). Once all that is done, I will have done everything I can do to stabilize the rig (front and rear) and it is what it is at that point.

As it is currently, I'm okay with how it handles, but I know it can be better. I expect caster adjustment to have the most significant impact.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote