Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

BIM vs DC-DC in 2019Entegra 25r help please

So I'm looking at change the house battery to a lifePo since I do a lot of Boondocking and my reg battery won't last
My 25r is similar to a Greyhawk, and did not come with a BIM installed. My converter does have the lifePo switch on it

I keep getting cornfused on where or how to install either one, What is easiest to install? And basically a How To For Dummies...lol
I'm capable of doing it just not sure and where to start for either one

So any pics, diagrams, videos, etc you can provide will help greatly

I'm not dead set on either one, just the easiest solution.

I'll add in house solar down the road. I'm in AZ so my panels are portable and I just clip my Charge controller to my house battery, so we don't need to worry about that at this time

Thanks all...yer fantastic as always
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

From my research, the LI-BIM225 would be the easier install. You could replace the existing relay under the hood with the BIM and be good to go. A DC2DC charger will be a little more challenging to wire in although I believe it will be easy enough and plan to install one soon, just that I haven't got around to doing so.

The reason I chose the DC2DC charger (Renogy 40a) is that it is a constant charge rate and will prevent the alternator from running at full output and will charge the (a) LifePo4(s) batteries completely. What I don't like about the BIM is how it operates and in particular these two statements.

"Under normal charging conditions, the Li-BIM225 will connect for 15 minutes every 35 minutes. That means that the BIM will connect for 15 minutes, disconnect for 20 minutes, and repeat this cycle until the coach battery is charged."

"The Li-BIM does not
guarantee 100% battery charge, but prevents harmful battery charge levels"

from https://invertersrus.com/product/battle-born-libim225/ and the datasheet download.

What I would expect to be happening behind the scenes with a BIM is 100% full charge occurring (with a low LifePo4 battery) and the alt at full output for 15 minutes, then no charge, then 100% again, then no charge. I would prefer a lower rate of charge that is occurring anytime the engine is running. ~CA
Old 12-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

I'd like to do the DC2DC too I think, it seems like an easier solution but unsure where to put it, what wires from the house battery goes where, etc
Old 12-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
I'd like to do the DC2DC too I think, it seems like an easier solution but unsure where to put it, what wires from the house battery goes where, etc
The LI-BIM is the easier install. I will look around as I drew up (modified) a schematic diagram of how I plan to install the DC2DC charger and I will share it here... if I can find it, otherwise I will draw it up again soon and share it. ~CA
Old 12-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #5

Check out this thread, in comment #6 is the diagram of what I plan to do. You could do the same without the SPDT switch that I plan to use which would make the install easier, however with the switch I will be able to still use the aux start when (if) needed. The switch would allow for disconnecting the DC2DC charger and use the factory setup (which includes the aux start ability), or using the DC2DC charger functionality, or (with a center off switch) the ability to not charge the coach battery(s). The reason I plan to use the switch is because there is information that not fully charging the LifePo4 battery will provide a longer battery life overall. Keep in mind though that just because the engine alt isn't charging the battery to 100%, something else certainly could such as the solar or charge converter.

In other words, if you are not concerned with the keeping Aux Start ability (which you could still do under the hood) and if you are not wanting to install the SPDT switch I drew in the diagram, you could simply wire the DC2DC charger trigger connection to the wire already at the existing solenoid (disconnect the wire at the solenoid and connect it to the dc2dc charger trigger connection). Doing that would be easier and allow the charger to work anytime the key is on similar to how the existing relay works. ~CA

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-fk-90662.html
Attached Thumbnails
dc2dc-wiring.jpg  
Old 12-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #6

Really appreciate the info Craig

That said

I would like a overview of an install of the Li-BIM. Be nice to see the direct swap of wires from the Stock solenoid to the BIM since I'm not confident what each one is

Thank as always everyone