Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Black tank

Hello all. We have a jayco Melbourne 28f . I have recently noticed when we dump the black tank that the digital display does not show that it is empty, when in fact it is. I think that there is toilet paper or something stuck on the sensor. Not too sure what is going on here any ideas On how to get the display to read empty. Thank you all
Gmward69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Give it a nice long rinse with the black tank flush. That should take care of any dirty sensor issues.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

After you dump it put some dawn or pine sol in it with a few gallons of water and go for a drive. Cleans it right up.

I always use pine sol after dumping. Get the original from Dollar store as it still has pine oil in it. It will clean, disinfect and lubricate all your sensors and valve seals.

Never let you tanks sit empty. Any paper or solids will become glued to the sides. Always put a fresh charge and several gallons of fresh water back in the tank.

In the winter add a gallon of RV antifreeze to the water. Never leave it empty!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Don't put to much faith in those displays, it is still the same since the 60's, useless old technology, You will know after awhile the use of the system.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

On the morning that we are heading home from a trip, I always give the black tank more service than normal. I'll dump and flush four or five times instead of the normal three. When I flush, I close the valve and let the black tank fill partially then open the valve and dump everything. I hate to waste water, but if you don't properly clean the tank, and flush, flush, flush, you will have problems.

After five flush cycles at the end of our last trip, the water was running perfectly clear, so I was happy with the results. As Cabinetmaker wrote, I always add Pine Sol or laundry detergent or dish detergent, or a combination thereof with 4 gallons of water and let it slosh around in the tank on the way home. The trip home was less than 200 miles and for some unknown reason, instead of keeping the solution in the tank until the next excursion, I dumped the tank when we got home. Needless to say I was surprised at what I saw coming from my black tank. I expected more clear water, but it definitely wasn't. So even though I thought I got it all, there was more there. So now I'll do one more flush when we arrive at home.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Thank you all for your knowledge. It worked and we got the black tank to read Empty. Yay
Old 10-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmward69 View Post
Thank you all for your knowledge. It worked and we got the black tank to read Empty. Yay

, but WAIT What did you try that worked for you?

Some of us are dedicated 'black tank flushers' and keep water in the black tank and have little or no success with chemicals to get the sensors to read correctly. Inquiring minds want to know...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 AM   #8

I also heard that flushing some crushed ice down the toilet just before driving away gives the black tank a good scrubbing. I never tried this myself though.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 AM   #9

We have been using a product named Tank Tech, Before using we flushed, flushed, and flushed the tank through the toilet. Then ran the tank flush for about 15 minutes. Afterwards we added about 2 ounces of Tank Tech and topped off with about 1/2 tank. Let it sit until we went camping. Drove about 300 miles, parked, finished filling the tank, did the dump and flush. Sensors all showed empty For the first time that I can remember! Still using the stuff and occasionally dump it into gray water with same good results. No I'm just a camper with no ties to the product.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #10

I often wonder where they place the nozzle for the black tank flusher. If they place it on the same side as the sensors it may not clean them. I think the optimum placement would be opposite the sensors so the stream of water hits them and cleans any gunk off the sensors.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #11

Sorry about that. I just keep flushing the toilet and filled up the tank and also added about 2 cups of pinesole. It now reads E when tank is dumped.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I often wonder where they place the nozzle for the black tank flusher. If they place it on the same side as the sensors it may not clean them. I think the optimum placement would be opposite the sensors so the stream of water hits them and cleans any gunk off the sensors.
I wonder, too. IMO, it's a crap shoot regarding the flush water spray pattern and tank sensor placement. If so, that would explain why flushing the tank works well for some, but not others.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I wonder, too. IMO, it's a crap shoot regarding the flush water spray pattern and tank sensor placement. If so, that would explain why flushing the tank works well for some, but not others.
I also wonder where they mount the nozzle for the black tank flush. is the water stream hitting the sensors to clean them or do they mount it in such a way that the sensors never get touched by the spray.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #14

Never trusted tank sensor did as others with Pinesol, I guess it not the best test but I sometimes take a flashlight open foot valve and do a visual inspection that will tell you how full it is for sure
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #15

Sensor Problems

I agree with Aljo and some of the others, the sensors are old technology and hardly ever read correctly, black water, gray water, fresh water, it doesn't matter. You will get to know how far off your readout is over time anyway. When you flush the black tank just look at the color of the water coming out of the tank (using a clear plastic flush elbow) and you will be able to see if it is clean.
Rusty Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #16

The new generation of sensors. When we order new in a couple of years will have the dealer install these:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
The new generation of sensors. When we order new in a couple of years will have the dealer install these:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
I installed the SeeLevel system myself and it is great. Depending on the unit labor could be significant. I can only fathom what a dealer would charge!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I installed the SeeLevel system myself and it is great. Depending on the unit labor could be significant. I can only fathom what a dealer would charge!
Like everything associated to RV's I have a Bro In Law who's good at const. and electrical...........might be a alternative to the dealer install Leaning towards a Entegra Odyssey............might have to work it into the final price.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #19

Black tank

I put about 3 lbs of ice down toilet after dumping (which may not go down right away) along with gallon of water. It will slosh around and break loose anything obstructing sensors. This has worked well for me.
mcadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #20

After a couple of trips I got a feel for how long we could go without dumping the gray and black tanks so I don't rely on the sensors. Given all I've read about them they are about as useful as fuel gauges on motorcycles and Cessna's.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote