Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Black Tank Question

When camping without sewage service we often pour our dishwater down the toilet to save space in the grey tank. Well yesterday when pouring out the dishwater my lovely wife accidentally forgot a spoon and it when down the toilet with the dishwater. We can't really see down the hole even with a flashlight to locate the spoon. We have a black tank flush system and we ran that for about 15 minutes but couldn't see the spoon. Anyone out there ever have a similar issue? I thought about trying a magnet. Any suggestions?
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #2

If they are stainless a magnet most likely won't work. When you dump, dump into a 5 gal pail..yucky but. Hopefully it doesn't get caught in the discharge pipe, that could casue a major issue...blocking waste and paper from being able to pass.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

Magnet might work

Test your silverware to see if a magnet is attracted to it. I’ll bet a magnet can pick it up unless it is very good stainless steel.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Goggles and a snorkel.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #5

Buy a new spoon.
I would inspect tank every time I dump, just to see if it relocates itself under the commode pipe. I'm thinking its really not going to be a problem and will just sit on the bottom of the tank. If it does move down into the drain, I think its time for a hacksaw, PVC Pipe and pipe glue. I think I'd let this be a sleeping dog and not create a solution, until there is a problem. However, I would start preparing myself for the unexpected. Of course, Murphy's law will certainly step forward and show itself, because you will be in a hurry or pouring rain when in does cause a problem. If it does appear in the bottom of the toilet opening, I have a real long set of forceps and needle nose pliers, both may be useful to put in your tool box.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
When camping without sewage service we often pour our dishwater down the toilet to save space in the grey tank. Well yesterday when pouring out the dishwater my lovely wife accidentally forgot a spoon and it when down the toilet with the dishwater. We can't really see down the hole even with a flashlight to locate the spoon. We have a black tank flush system and we ran that for about 15 minutes but couldn't see the spoon. Anyone out there ever have a similar issue? I thought about trying a magnet. Any suggestions?
rickemo,
If the magnet doesn't work, you could try a mechanic's flexible gripper if you can see the spoon after adequate flushing, otherwise it would be one heck of a fishing expedition! If you cannot see the spoon at all, after adequate flushing, you could try putting a large rag into the toilet, add water and dumping into a 5 gallon bucket. Hopefully the rag would push the spoon to the dump exit and you could retrieve both. Once you retrieve it, throw it away and replace it ... no point in having a bad memory every time you eat your pudding!

Good luck & happy camping
Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Once you retrieve it, throw it away and replace it ... no point in having a bad memory every time you eat your pudding!

Good luck & happy camping
Swampy
I just threw up in my mouth! LMAO!!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #8

Just mark this up to experience and buy a new spoon. ��*♂️
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #9

Assuming you've rinsed the tank well and think the spoon is still in there, I would try a couple of real power dumps onto the lawn where you can keep an eye on things.

Fill the tank up to the very top of the toilet and let it go. Maybe the extra pressure will float the spoon out.

Good luck--at least it wasn't a cell phone!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

Dumped yesterday and had your situation on my mind. I found a rubber connection going in to the macerator on our unit. I'd taker a close look at the plumbing on your black tank and you may find the same type of connection or some break in the black pipe line. Good luck on your search.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

The spoon should not cause to many issues, expect in three scenarios;

1st, the spoon ends up crosswise against the dump gate, and it slows the tanks discharges as it acts like a dam. Next time you drive it will bounce to a new location.

2nd, when you are done dumping, and the spoon has stopped across the dump gate valve, and you cannot close the valve. Solution rapidly dump add 5+ gallons of water to the tank with the valve open.

3rd, do you have a macerator in your system? If you do, I would bypass it until you have the spoon out of there, or you could damage the macerator.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickemo View Post
If you can buy or borrow a boroscope inspection camera, that has a built in light, you maybe able to see the spoon after you drain the tank and flush the tank. The spoon may stay in the tank if it is heavy enough. If not, see if can you run the scope down the drainage plumbing to the gate valve. If it is down by the gate valve, the valve comes apart and you may be able to grab it. Good luck.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #13

Get this and a flashlight and go divin'! Been there, done that! Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

If I find hat spoon I might have it bronzed and put on a plaque and hang it over the toilet as a reminder 😜
Old 05-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #15

Yep!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #16

Well here we are almost exactly a year later and the mystery spoon magically appeared this evening. It lodged in the see through elbow while we were dumping. I tried a magnet to no avail, even purchased an endoscope to drop down the hole in search of the spoon with no success. After a dozen or so trips and dumps walla it sudden came out. That spoon is getting sprayed with gold paint, put on a plaque and mounted above the toilet as a reminder to be careful when dumping dishwater!!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #17

Eureka! A special Mother's Day spoon!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote