Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #61

Separate hose.
Why?

It's not that the fittings are connecting to something dirty (presumably clean hose bib and clean black tank flush connector). It's that YOU are dirty while handling the hose! It's that simple.

If you're going to connect and dump through the stinky slinky, and you are going to plug the business end of that sewer hose into a "port" of some sort, one hopes you are wearing rubber (nitrile) gloves. The moment you go to work, your gloves are contaminated. Are you going to handle your potable water hose with those gloves?

There's nothing "imagined" about this contamination...unless of course you are able to wash your hands to "two birthdays" multiple times during the dump process.

'Nuff said.

P.S. I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy. After pulling the black tank dump trigger, I use my "dirty" hose to wash down the drain below the flush valve on the toilet, and then I jet some serious water straight down into the black tank to dislodge any solids that might be parked right below the toilet...perhaps 3 to 5 gallons altogether. Then I pull the trigger on the grey tank and let it "clean" the stinky slinky. Finally, I hook up to the black tank flush and let 'er rip for several minutes. Inevitably, a wad of TP or other "solids" will dislodge and dam up the dump port until enough water collects in the black tank to send it all down the drain in a big whoosh. I'm not using my drinking water hose for those jobs.

P.P.S. Remember that assumption about the "clean" hose bib? Not so fast. If you're at a dump station, how many people who have filthy hands have been connecting to that hose bib? Need I say more?
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #62

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
I have a Jayco 36B presept. Two bathrooms. I've ask around to many but no one knows how to empty the fresh water and refill it with new clean water.
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #63

I have a mascerater which makes it all so clean and easy.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherman1 View Post
Agreed

The fresh water tank should be filled at your site not at the dump station!
If you stay at a commercial site maybe. That doesn't work at many SP, NP, NFS, BLM campgrounds.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #65

Think about this.... If the black tank vent gets plugged up, and you are using your water hose to flush your black tank... Where is the residual waste going to go when the tank decides to vent it's frustration out!

Up hill... Past the broken one way valve and into your water hose. Contamination.

By a second hose for water... They are usually white....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #66

Y connection with a separate short hose to fresh water tank and black tank???
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
When using dump station use thier hose not yours to flush with...
But many have the end cut off so you can't connect to the tank flush.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #68

Well said!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
I have a Jayco 36B presept. Two bathrooms. I've ask around to many but no one knows how to empty the fresh water and refill it with new clean water.
Can you not just run the faucets which moved the water from fresh to gray?
Pamtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #70
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Newbie RV camper 2 campsites away from us , hooked up hose to black tank flush, turned on water hose and went back inside camper. A little while later we saw him running around camper . Roof and side of camper had crap and black water running off of roof, he smelled up the whole campground. Yes he had black tank water coming out of roof vent. He was lucky that toilet valve was sealed really good. He had to wash off entire camper sides and roof. He a crappy mess....
That is where it goes if you forget. Up the vent and all over the trailer.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #71

DUH. LOL. So simple. Whodathought. Thanks
Old 07-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KOOL4U View Post
There are two basic drains "under" (or inside) every camper.
1) Fresh tank drain - almost always a small, white, quarter-turn ball valve under the tank or at the end of a short hose connected to the bottom of the fresh tank. Something like one of these white ones: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rv+fres...f=nb_sb_noss_2

2) Then there are "low point drains" for both hot and cold water circuits. THESE DO NOT drain the fresh tank. They drain the plumbing throughout the camper. There are many variations on these, from simple caps to a variety of valves. The key is that they are usually paired with blue and red PEX feeding them...representing cold (blue) and hot (red) water circuits. https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Eckvo39Pn...e+pics+028.jpg More sophisticated low point drains will have valves inside the camper where they are less prone to freezing during camping trips in moderately cold weather.

Two bathrooms has no bearing on this with one possible exception. It implies a lot of water use. If you have a very large capacity freshwater tank (50 gallons or more), the tank may be up inside your rig so that it is well supported on the floor...rather than hanging below the camper on straps or angle iron braces. If that's the case, you must find the fresh tank...perhaps under the main bed, a dinette seat, a bunk, or similar location. Think of any space capable of holding something as large as a 55 gallon drum (only square). Your drain valve may be in the compartment with the tank, and nothing other than a short hose will exit the camper floor to dump the tank onto the ground.

I gather your Precept is a motor home. If so, the water tank may be inside one of the cargo bays...perhaps behind a panel to protect it from cargo. if so, the fresh tank drain may be accessible without removing the decorative panel, but perhaps not.

In this case, find the tank and you find the drain.

One "trick" to help find the fresh tank is to listen to the water pump running and find it by ear. You may need to know this for winterizing anyway. Now look at the pump input hose...from the tank to the pump. The input hose will point to the tank, and it's likely to be very close to the pump.

As for filling it, while many RVs have simple gravity fill ports on the side of the camper (just stick a hose in the opening and fill), a rig as fancy as yours probably has a diverter valve at the hose connection for the "city water" feed. About 6:45 minutes into this video, this is demonstrated: . Watch the whole video, because this one is quite informative.

If you haven't already done so, you ABSOLUTELY MUST sanitize the fresh tank and pump system before relying on it. There are lots of videos on this subject. Here's a sample: This one seems well suited to an RV of the caliber yours is.

SHAME ON THE RV DEALER for not walking you through all of this at the time you picked up the RV...ESPECIALLY one this nice!!
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote