Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Black Water Flush

When flushing my black water tank, do I need to use a separate hose, or can I use my portable water hose?
Camper Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #2

I use a separate, different colored hose. The one time you get a"few"nasties backed up into your water hose, then relocate them into your fresh water system, will ruin a trip quickly, especially for what a second, short hose will cost you.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Team

For sanitary reasons, it's best to use a separate and dedicated hose for that, just in case there's a backflow. You don't want that contaminating your fresh water hose. Any hose will do for that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #4

Fully agree separate hose without a doubt...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

I also agree with the others and use separate hose for the black water tank flush.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Why can't you use the same water hose?

1) Most rigs have a backflow preventer or a vacuum breaker on that flush line. The water line to the black tank is plumbed higher than the tank, so gravity can do it's thing.

2) There's no back pressure coming from the black tank, so it's not pressurized. How can it force contaminated water back into the flush line.

I believe you can use the same water line, and if you're concerned, just flush water and let it run through the hose when you disconnect it from the black flush.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #7

Not worth the risk no matter how small. Use a separate hose. My regulator set up has a separate faucet just for a black colored hose for the flushing purpose. I also use a bleach solution to clean camp faucets prior to hooking up to them. To each there own.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

1) Most rigs have a backflow preventer or a vacuum breaker on that flush line. The water line to the black tank is plumbed higher than the tank, so gravity can do it's thing.

2) There's no back pressure coming from the black tank, so it's not pressurized. How can it force contaminated water back into the flush line.

I believe you can use the same water line, and if you're concerned, just flush water and let it run through the hose when you disconnect it from the black flush.
LOL. You can, I won't.

Seriously though, many people would be performing a tank flush at a dump station. That water hose typically isn't potable to start with. You want that in your hose?

How many of those cheap backflow preventers are noted as bad or failed on RV forums? My Dilbert math says, lots.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #9

Thanks for your help!
Camper Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #10

For complete rundown on the black water tank visit www.trbowlin.com. He tells you how to flush and keep your black and gray water tank clean and odor free.
Rubber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

I would (and do) use a separate hose. But I use that hose for other stuff too.

I agree with RetiredOne to some extent that it is HIGHLY unlikely that hose will get contaminated, but still ... Potable water hose is for potable water ONLY.

And you stole my "handle"!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
LOL. You can, I won't.

Seriously though, many people would be performing a tank flush at a dump station. That water hose typically isn't potable to start with. You want that in your hose?
Don't many dump stations already have a hose there to use? Why would you use your own hose?

Quote:
How many of those cheap backflow preventers are noted as bad or failed on RV forums
Many... and if they haven't yet, they probably will. That's why I cut mine out and put a Pex loop in, instead.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I agree with RetiredOne to some extent that it is HIGHLY unlikely that hose will get contaminated, but still ... Potable water hose is for potable water ONLY.
I think this is a Ewwww topic for most. I think, it's more of an emotional response versus a physical possibility.

I know in my rig, the black flush Pex tubing runs in a loop up into a cabinet and back down under the floor to the black tank. The top of that loop is approximately 3 feet above the black tank connection. In all my decades of doing plumbing work, I've NEVER seen water run uphill against gravity... Never. Water seeks it's own level, and the flush line has 40+ PSI of pressure. That water is going ONE direction only, into the black tank.

So, I believe your water line contamination from the black tank flush connector is a physical impossibility. In my case, I use a brass elbow with a shutoff valve when I connect my water line at the rig, so I can shut off the flow. This kills the incoming water supply right at the connector on the rig. Once the valve gets shut off from the pressurized water, it's another physical impossibility for any backup into the water hose. Once I disconnect that elbow, I can crack the water back on and flush that connector, if I'm concerned.

Just think how many gallons get pushed though the black flush piping in during the flush.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #14

Always use a separate hose. Don't want any possibility of contamination of fresh water with the black water stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Bob View Post
When flushing my black water tank, do I need to use a separate hose, or can I use my portable water hose?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:

I'm more in your camp - I think the odds of contamination are really small.

However, I too use a separate hose.
It was a couple of bucks at Walmart. And I sometimes leave both connected at the campground.

Makes its easier to quick flush.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
CAG

I was returning from an elk hunt in northern Arizona and stopped at the Flagstaff Giant station as they have a dump station and I wanted to dump the black tank before going down the hill. There was a rig just finishing with the tank dump and I watched the owner drop the end flush hose that is always there with the water bib into the gutter below where most of the black hose hookups are made. I have no idea what the fluid was in the gutter but I then watched the next rig owner pick that hose up, put it in his freshwater inlet and begin filling his fresh tank. It was at that point that I decided I would never use the supplied hose, nor would I fill fresh water from that or any other dump station.

Sit back and watch those who use the public dump stations and then make up your own mind whether it is a ewww factor, or a sanitary issue. Some say no problem, I don't use that water to drink, but you probably do use it to wash dished or shower in.

I use separate hoses on fresh and black tanks.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Don't many dump stations already have a hose there to use? Why would you use your own hose?

Many... and if they haven't yet, they probably will. That's why I cut mine out and put a Pex loop in, instead.
They typically do have a separate hose. That nasty hose connects to the RV inlet. The next time the owner uses his own freshwater hose. He connects it to that same now contaminated RV inlet connection. That is enough for me to never want to tempt fate even if the backflow preventer were a sure thing.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I was returning from an elk hunt in northern Arizona and stopped at the Flagstaff Giant station as they have a dump station and I wanted to dump the black tank before going down the hill. There was a rig just finishing with the tank dump and I watched the owner drop the end flush hose that is always there with the water bib into the gutter below where most of the black hose hookups are made. I have no idea what the fluid was in the gutter but I then watched the next rig owner pick that hose up, put it in his freshwater inlet and begin filling his fresh tank. It was at that point that I decided I would never use the supplied hose, nor would I fill fresh water from that or any other dump station.

Sit back and watch those who use the public dump stations and then make up your own mind whether it is a ewww factor, or a sanitary issue. Some say no problem, I don't use that water to drink, but you probably do use it to wash dished or shower in.

I use separate hoses on fresh and black tanks.
Similar reason caused me to stop renting RVs when I got out of the military. German couple at Yellowstone filled their Rental RV tank with non-potable water, at the dump station in front of us.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #19

Not that i think you need to use a second hose but it sure does keep the tension down when my wife see me filling the tank with the black hose instead of the white one...... white hose good , black hose bad LOL
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #20

Let us know how your case of diarrhea works out for you. Yes,,it is a personal preference on using 2 different hoses. It is more convenient to already have a separate hose hooked up to flush black tank. Then you do not have to un-hook your fresh water hose to your camper, flush tank ,then hook hose back up to camper. ( just more convenient in my opinion). This applies only when you have a full hook up campsite. When using dump station use thier hose not yours to flush with...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote