Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

Blown battery

My Jayco Grayhawk has a blown up battery. I can not get the battery box slide to release, it seems to be stuck in.
The power was off this morning and I found the battery to be split and the top blown off.
How do I release the slide tray?
Attached Thumbnails
20221123_120748.jpg   20221123_120801.jpg   20221123_120729.jpg   20221123_120737.jpg  
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

Pour boiling water over the latch and corroded areas. After that, try again and perhaps use a small hammer to tap upwards on the latch. If that fails, try some penetrating oil on the latch area then try again. Repeat as necessary.

After replacing the battery, you should check the voltage and make sure it isn't overcharging. If the battery was never checked (or better stated not checked often) for its water level and it ran dry while being charged, that would (could) cause the battery to explode. You may want to consider an AGM battery for the replacement which doesn't require that you routinely add water to the battery.

One other thought, once you are able to remove the battery, you should flush the entire area with very hot water, then consider protecting the slide out tray and all of the surrounding metal components with some spray oil. ~CA

~CA
Old 11-23-2022, 01:33 PM   #3

Excellent advise!! The only thing I would add is use rubber gloves and eye protection, also wear clothes you don’t care about. Battery acid can be some nasty stuff. Best of luck.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Baking soda dissolved in warm water and applied numerous times will help to clean up the corrosion, and anywhere else acid has gotten. It'll bubble up as it works.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #5

Blown battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
My Jayco Grayhawk has a blown up battery. I can not get the battery box slide to release, it seems to be stuck in.
The power was off this morning and I found the battery to be split and the top blown off.
How do I release the slide tray?
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I ended up having to bend the front of the slide down to get the battery out, then I took it and the other battery to the auto parts, picked up two heavy duty Super start Nationals. then I installed them> Seem to be doing great. They are in a terrible place to have to service them, There is no way to see down the cap holes for fluid levels or to refill them.
I have thought of using a small mirror and a flashlight to refill them. I'll have to put them on a regular maintenance schedule.
Again thanks for the help.
See you on the road.

1ST Pete (David)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
There is no way to see down the cap holes for fluid levels or to refill them.
I have thought of using a small mirror and a flashlight to refill them. I'll have to put them on a regular maintenance schedule.
Again thanks for the help.
See you on the road.

1ST Pete (David)
Something like this would take care of it,

https://www.campingworld.com/qwik-fi...tem-27037.html

And Christmas is right around the corner...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #7

Blown battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...

I'll bet some guy with two hidden batteries thought this thing up. I may just do that. it looks like it should work very well. Thanks for taking the time to send this to me.
I spoke to my wife about the maintenance problem on the batteries last night. I have been considering adding longer lines to both batteries and reroute them to the storage space next to the battery box. I would then build a drawer to hold them and add a set of slides to facilitate getting at them. I just recently added them to all our lower kitchen cabinets in the house and the RV. Getting too old to be crawling around trying to reach something in the back of a lower cabinet.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
snip...

I installed this kit on my 2 batteries and it works great. One of my batteries is in the storage cabinet next to the slide out battery and there was no way to check the water. Now I just put the hose end into a bottle of distilled water and squeeze the bulb until pressure is built and you are done. Easy peasy.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #9

Blown battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I installed this kit on my 2 batteries and it works great. One of my batteries is in the storage cabinet next to the slide out battery and there was no way to check the water. Now I just put the hose end into a bottle of distilled water and squeeze the bulb until pressure is built and you are done. Easy peasy.
Thanks again great idea.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Baking soda dissolved in warm water and applied numerous times will help to clean up the corrosion, and anywhere else acid has gotten. It'll bubble up as it works.
This.

Baking soda will neutralize the Sulfuric acid and release CO2.

Which reminds me of a famous limerick:

Willie was a chemist.
Willie is no more.
What Willie thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.