Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Blue ox toad braking system

I towed the Jeep for the first time with the above braking system. On the way there it timed out on a stop on the highway and I reset and it seemed fine. On the way back it only "braked" one time the whole way back. This thing seems like a big waste of money. The Seneca stops just fine with out it working. Maybe i just need to work to fine tune the setting a better. Thoughts from those of you in the know!!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

I think your experience is pretty normal. I use a RViBrake II and it does not have to apply the Toad brakes very often, but it does help on emergency stops and on very hilly downhill terrain (saves the Coach brakes a little).
The real reason you need the system is that in almost all states it is required to have one if you are towing anything even remotely heavy. Think of the liability (and possible jail time if a fatality is involved) if you got in an accident without having a braking system.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

I have a '14 Seneca and I echo what Snowbird says, the greatest benefit to toad brakes comes when you have to panic stop or in hilly terrain. But then it sure does help! It also works hard in heavy urban traffic (think Chicago) where you can be doing 45 one minute, 5 the next, 55-60 a minute after that! Despite trying to be consistent with my speed, in some places it just doesn't work that way and you are unexpectedly smashing the brake pedal. I use a Roadmaster EvenBrake which has served very well on 3 different toads.

Another situation a braking system would be invaluable is in the very unlikely event of a breakaway catastrophe. Imagine your toad passing you careening out of control! I've seen some RV folks not hook up their breakaway device, but (like stated above) think of the liability aspect if you don't use it and there was an "incident".
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

I am assuming you are using the Patriot system? I just bought one also but have never towed with it. What did you have the gain set on? Sensitivity? I plan on starting at the middle of the gain scale and keep adjusting until the braking works to suit me.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

I only changed the gain between 4-5. the other setting I left along. I need to re-read the instructions about unit set-up. How the unit sits seems to have an impact on how it operates.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
I am assuming you are using the Patriot system? I just bought one also but have never towed with it. What did you have the gain set on? Sensitivity? I plan on starting at the middle of the gain scale and keep adjusting until the braking works to suit me.
I purchased a Patriot system last fall. Works great for me. Called the company and spoke to a tech. He told me to set it at 3 or 4. I mostly run on 4. He says it is best that way. Anything higher the brakes will activate more often when you don't really need them. He stated it was mostly for hard stops and emergencies. Two weeks ago I had a problem with the system. A blown fuse in the unit. Couldn't find a fuse right away. So I headed out to Bar Harbor. 5 1/2 hour drive. I really noticed the difference when having to brake hard. Found the fuse I needed in Elsworth. Worked great on the way home. I feel much safer with the braking system. I highly recommend it. As Snowbird stated it is the law in Maine and most states. I believe anything over 3000 lbs requires its own brakes.
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
I purchased a Patriot system last fall. Works great for me. Called the company and spoke to a tech. He told me to set it at 3 or 4. I mostly run on 4. He says it is best that way. Anything higher the brakes will activate more often when you don't really need them. He stated it was mostly for hard stops and emergencies. Two weeks ago I had a problem with the system. A blown fuse in the unit. Couldn't find a fuse right away. So I headed out to Bar Harbor. 5 1/2 hour drive. I really noticed the difference when having to brake hard. Found the fuse I needed in Elsworth. Worked great on the way home. I feel much safer with the braking system. I highly recommend it. As Snowbird stated it is the law in Maine and most states. I believe anything over 3000 lbs requires its own brakes.
Thanks. I always run with my exhaust brake on so I lightly use the RV brakes normally. I figured I would start with lower gains and see what happens. I don't want to over brake the Jeep and prematurely wear the brakes. I have towed the Jeep without a braking system and noticed a difference in acceleration but not really with braking. Then again I never had a hard or panic stop. Heading out on a 4000 mile trip in a few weeks and there was no way I was doing it without a aux braking system.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Sam

I have a 2014 Seneca TS and tow a 2012 Jeep Unlimited. Have towed the jeep approx. 1,000 miles using a Blue Ox Patriot supplemental brake. I have is set on 5 and will try setting 4 as suggested here. The brake only seem to activate only on hard braking, I think that is the way it should function. As others here say, most states require brakes on towed vehicles. Liability sure is a concern it the event of an accident.
I like the ease of set up with the Patriot and so far it does a good job. In ten days we will begin an approx 6,000 mile plus trip to the east coast from CO. our first long trip in the Seneca. Wish us the best! Sam

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote