Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I'm curious why no one has viewable the EGT temps.

If towing, that is one parameter I would want.

Is it on the can-bus?

I just got mine up and running yesterday and haven't had time to check to see if it is available via the Can-Bus. Every other rig I have dealt with needed to have a Thermocoupler installed. I'll let you know what I find out.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I just got mine up and running yesterday and haven't had time to check to see if it is available via the Can-Bus. Every other rig I have dealt with needed to have a Thermocoupler installed. I'll let you know what I find out.
I tow my TT with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 liter EcoDiesel.

Different animal for sure but with my Scan Gauge II, I have EGT available at the turbo & further downstream in the exhaust. It plugs into the OBD II port.

EGT & actual water temps were what I wanted.

HD diesels may not provide this. IIRC don't they have a different type of port compared to the standard OBD II on most vehicles? Could be wrong on that.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #23

A little more info. I can view 4 parameter's on the Scan Gauge II I have.

I have inputted probably 10 -12 but have only used 4. They are, EGT at the turbo and DPF, water temp and the ability to se when a Regen starts.

Sure do like what the Bluefire can display all at once. For me the the screen size isn't viable in a smaller vehicle.

One interesting thing is watching the EGT temps during a Regen.

Normal driving on the highway not towing, the EGT is around 550-600 degrees, light load, level ground.

When a Regen starts you are suppose to drive on the highway till the process is completed. This usually take around 20 minutes.

As the process proceeds, the EGT climbs from the 600 range to 1100-1200 degrees toward the end of the cycle as extra fuel and DPF fluid is dumped into the system.

Hope you have the option to monitor your EGT's.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #24

On my 2018.5 Seneca there is no Exhaust Temp available, here is a pic of what information that is available from the Can-Bus. In the 2.5 years we have had this, I have never had it go into Regen.
Attached Thumbnails
7C467AFF-23DB-4D87-BCF8-8ECBC1AC5339.jpg  

Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #25
CAG

I don't have a diesel any longer but when I did I ran the Edge (non-tune) which had more dials than I could every read and gave 4 different EGT's from the four Duramax probes.

A question here with the system that you put in. What advantage (s) does this have over a $20 OBD2 reader from Amazon and either a free Iphone app or $10 for OBD Fusion phone app? There are several that work with diesels and all that I see you are doing is monitoring data provided by the port and not tuning.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I don't have a diesel any longer but when I did I ran the Edge (non-tune) which had more dials than I could every read and gave 4 different EGT's from the four Duramax probes.

A question here with the system that you put in. What advantage (s) does this have over a $20 OBD2 reader from Amazon and either a free Iphone app or $10 for OBD Fusion phone app? There are several that work with diesels and all that I see you are doing is monitoring data provided by the port and not tuning.
Freightliner/Cummins does not use an automotive/light truck OBD system so typical automotive readers do not work.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #27
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Freightliner/Cummins does not use an automotive/light truck OBD system so typical automotive readers do not work.
Someone is missing a bet and a bunch of money by not developing the cable to adapt it. The cable to go from Freightliner/Cummins plug to OBD is sold by this same company.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

I have always run an Edge CTS monitor which works great on my Ford F-250. My son has tried several of the cheap Bluetooth units off of Amazon with no so great results. He had constant signal drop out, apps would lock up and giving wrong reading. With the Bluefire and Edge CTS, you get what you pay for. Plus it’s made in the USA!

Old 09-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #29

Bluefire

Any S2RV owners should check out BlueFire adapter. Allows you to monitor all kinds of chassis data including DEF temp and quality. Amazing device for the $$$.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #30

There are a few that have it... and some of us have it on our xmas list. Search on the fourm, there are a few threads already that have very detailed instructions.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #31

Bluefire App Update

Update to version 4.2 was released yesterday on the Apple App Store for iOS yesterday. The long awaited Exhaust Gas Temperature is included, plus several other nice updates!
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #32

Egt

Version 4.2 is out and on Apple App Store. This includes the EGT for input and output of the DPF...
Old 12-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAZ View Post
Update to version 4.2 was released yesterday on the Apple App Store for iOS yesterday. The long awaited Exhaust Gas Temperature is included, plus several other nice updates!

Just updated it last night, now to make some adjustments. The text to speech might be kinda fun you can have an "Oh Sh#&" warning Currently I have the Lost In Space Robot saying "Warning Warning"

Old 12-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #34

Smile BlueFire and DEF tank Temperature

Here's a testimonial on the usefulness of BlueFire: Yesterday I took the 18.5 Seneca out to top off fuel and propane, took a 25 mile circle route to get some exercise in, ambient was about 70. I've been wondering -- so carefully watched DEF temperature, which started out at 60 degrees. Went to 100, 110, 120 (alarm) and up to 139 (and still climbing) when I reached home. God only knows what it was last summer driving in the 100+ temps, before BlueFire... So guess that confirms I have the dreaded heater hose swap? Will schedule for Freightliner service in the next couple weeks... Also my DEF% is about 5% high over limit so maybe it was boiled last summer. AND no check engine lights on either problem so far.

Anybody know that the Cummins design DEF operating temperature and DEF % is?

By the way, the EGT is now there and working fine with Version 4.2.2.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #35

My DEF temp is always about 10 degrees over ambient, after the lines got fixed. DEF freezes at 12 degrees so the heater comes on at some point above that. Ideal DEF % is 32.5, but FL said anything between 30.5-34.5 is OK. You're saying you are seeing 37.5% for DEF concentration?
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #36

DEF Specs

Thanks for sharing the DEF heater operation setpoint and range of DEF concentration. Yes, actually it read out 38% at the end of the trip. Next day after cooling down to 60, it read 35%. I suppose that is specific gravity corrected so the change could be explained.

Still waiting to hear back from Freightliner on my questions. I will share over on the DEF issues thread.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by James AO View Post
Today I finished implementing the BlueFire for Motorhomes in my 2014 FS. I decided to try BlueFire rather than Scan Gauge D in order to have more info visible full time. The system operates using Bluetooth and you are able to build your own dashboard showing anything that is reported by your Freightliner’s can-buss system. Building your dashboard from scratch is a bit of work, but you can also download dashboard designs that others have created, and then modify to your own preference. I used an Amazon 7” Fire Tablet and mounted it’s in the driver’s side cubbyhole near the sun visor using a RAM type mount from iBOLT from Amazon. I ran the power thru the back of the cubbyhole and down the A pillar. All in all the project was pretty straightforward. I look forward to getting it on the road next week to see how it does.
Looks super. Gotta check it out
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #38

BlueFire Custom Dash

I have been following this topic closely as we are new to the Super C Class. We have camped for years but we have always had 5th Wheels so we made the decision in October to setup to the Seneca and ended up with the 37L. I have seen mixed reviews of what the ScanGauge offers and I really like the idea of what BlueFire can provide. I order the Adapter form BlueFire and downloaded the app on an iPad which will be mounted in the upper console but I am having issues customizing the dash along with all the parameters. Any insight or the ability to share a dash layout would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Jeff
Jlink16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlink16 View Post
I am having issues customizing the dash along with all the parameters. Any insight or the ability to share a dash layout would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Jeff

Jeff, I have a couple I can send you, send me your email address in a private message.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #40

Ok here is my latest dash, cleaned it up a little as far as extra gauges I really didt need, removed the odometer and trip meter as they are easily read from the main dash and not info I need to watch. I added all the DEF info available including DPF intake and exhaust temps which the DPF intake temp seems to be on par with actual EGT temps I have seen on other diesels so it looks like it may be good for EGT even though I have read numerous times that Cummins says one is not needed because the engine and trans ECU’s monitor and control everything to keep temps low enough.
Attached Thumbnails
8349EB55-0874-47B4-874D-E5D3464C76AC.jpg  

Tags
blue fire