Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Boondocking: do I need to add another Maxx fan?

Hi folks,

First time poster here, longtime reader. Thanks in advance for your help!

I just a acquired a 2014 Greyhawk 31DS. It has a nice Maxx air fan in the bedroom, and a nice auto fan in the bathroom. However, the kitchen/living room only has the AC unit, and no dedicated exhaust or roof fan. My understanding is I cannot run the AC fan (and certainly not the actual AC) from the house battery. So when boondocking, if I want good air flow in the living room, then it seems like I should add a new Maxx fan that can run from the battery. Its an expensive addition ($300 for the part, $500 for labor since it requires cutting a new hole in the roof), so I want to make sure this is the best option.

Thoughts on airflow cooling while boondocking?

Thanks,

JJ
TN Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Can you run the two existing fans for exhaust and draw fresh air in a window furthest from the fans? In our fiver there's 2 fans and one that's just a vent. Haven't boondocked in the summer but for winter in AZ we've been in 95f+ and not needed the AC but then I'm not one to sit in a cold trailer/house anyway. If it was me I'd try without first to see before I spent the money on a single extra vent.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

TN Jen,

Welcome to JOF

I've used the following 12V box fan for a number of years boondocking to move inside air around...., works great, quiet, and is easy on the batteries. I use the fan alone without any vent fans running..., just open the vents/windows.

Depending on where you want to use the fan within your RV, an additional 12V socket may be required.

Fan Link: Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

Shop around, there are deals on the fan.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Jen View Post
Hi folks,

First time poster here, longtime reader. Thanks in advance for your help!

I just a acquired a 2014 Greyhawk 31DS. It has a nice Maxx air fan in the bedroom, and a nice auto fan in the bathroom. However, the kitchen/living room only has the AC unit, and no dedicated exhaust or roof fan. My understanding is I cannot run the AC fan (and certainly not the actual AC) from the house battery. So when boondocking, if I want good air flow in the living room, then it seems like I should add a new Maxx fan that can run from the battery. Its an expensive addition ($300 for the part, $500 for labor since it requires cutting a new hole in the roof), so I want to make sure this is the best option.

Thoughts on airflow cooling while boondocking?

Thanks,

JJ

Turn on the others and open the windows in the living area.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Turn on the others and open the windows in the living area.
That's what I'd do. Should provide plenty of circulation and also be much quieter.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Site Team

I have one of those Breeze fans pictured.

I would use that in combination with the other fans and open windows to get air moving before even thinking about a hole in the roof yet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

I have this fan and it works great, even though it could have been a little better quality wise (the fan is a little out of round.) the good thing about it is the hooks on top that allow you to place it directly on a window and blow air straight in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
TN Jen,

Welcome to JOF

I've used the following 12V box fan for a number of years boondocking to move inside air around...., works great, quiet, and is easy on the batteries. I use the fan alone without any vent fans running..., just open the vents/windows.

Depending on where you want to use the fan within your RV, an additional 12V socket may be required.

Fan Link: Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

Shop around, there are deals on the fan.

Bob
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #8

Had the Breeze fan shown for three seasons now and it works great. I added Vortex powered fan conversions to both our roof vents so we may not use it quite as much now. But it is nice to be able to move it around depending on your needs.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #9

In my case I am really seriously thinking about removing my 13,500 A/C unit on the roof and putting a second FANTASTIC FAN in its place.

We camp off-grid most of the time running off our batteries and very seldom go to an electric site to use my Air Conditioner. The Fantastic Fan fits in the same 14x14-inch hole through the roof...

My fantastic fan work great pulling cool night air into the trailer. We have 9X12 tarps over both tent bed ends and just cracking the window vents works out great even when it is raining outside...

Roy's image

I am wanting to put up solar panels now to support my larger battery bank and removing the air conditioner will create more solar panel space on the roof...

I haven't done an math yet but I may have a roof weight problem raising my roof with both panels and air conditioner being used. My electric raise grunts and growns now haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

I agree with everything above, we also use the two existing fans and just crack windows and use the above posted fan if needed. The only time I really need to use my air conditioning is when the humidity gets high. If it’s humid then there is no amount of pushing around hot moist air that works for me. With my two fans on and windows cracked you can feel a quite noticeable breeze in the living room.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I will try some summer boondocking to see how it goes, then get a box fan as the next step. Stay cool, everyone!
TN Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, maxx fan, roof fan