Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #11

I thought the same thing, but when our 31' had to be towed, they literally lifted it on the rear hitch.
I immediately stopped and asked them if they were "sure" they knew what they were doing, as they were lifting on a frame extension. They said that's how they towed all of 'em.
I still question it some, but I'm not sure if the E-450 can be towed from the front, which essentially engages the driveline.... My point is, if they can lift the whole darn thing on that rear hitch, I'm not sure you have to weld in additional bracing on the extensions. Besides, what exactly do you tie into at the C-channel for on the extension...

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #12

The addition of Firestone Ride-Rite supplemental air bags will alleviate dragging in all but the worst case scenarios. I had a set on my old motorhome for 10 years having installed them shortly after purchase. My chassis was a Ford E-33, not common as it was the Econoline chassis stretched for Class A duty. In addition to eliminating nearly all of the scrapping and tail dragging there was a vast improvement in handling and stability.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

How much lift did you get in the rear of your RV? We had them on a Class-A and the made a big difference in front, but not in back.
Part of it is the nature of the beast, you've got a lot of overhang on that rear axle and it's going to drag if you have a big incline.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #14

The welding shop does several of these a month. Unfortunately you may not see the damage immediately because it typically presents as water leaks or buckling in the floor. If a tow company damages you unit by towing it that way it is their cost to fix. They are supposed to unhook the driveline and tow from the front. The shop that did the work on my unit follows the Ford factory recommendations.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
How much lift did you get in the rear of your RV? We had them on a Class-A and the made a big difference in front, but not in back.
Part of it is the nature of the beast, you've got a lot of overhang on that rear axle and it's going to drag if you have a big incline.
As I recall I could get several inches (4-5) in rear lift measured from the top of the rear wheels to the wheel opening. I would pump them up to 90-95 psi for a trip. In addition to the inches gained from the lift, the increased overall spring rate eliminated most of the dragging issues.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #16

Hi I spoke with Jayco service about this. They said that if the Greyhawk is towed from the rear or load such as skid wheels without a subframe beef up will cause damage eventually.

2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote