Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #1

Brake systems for flat towing

We own a 2016, 31FK. We currently do not tow anything behind us but we are considering buying a toad for next season.
My question for all of you is - Do all toads require auxiliary braking systems or is there a weight limit where below that supplemental braking systems are not necessary?
Any help would be appreciated.
Iam2alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

I wouldn't tow a car behind a class "C" E-450 without auxillary brakes.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

I was wondering that myself. Was thinking an old VW about 1800 lbs. Anyone know the law on it ?
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

Some states don't even address dingy towing brake requirements, only trailers.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #5

Hello. I have a 2008 Seneca and I flat tow a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Although I can't say with certainty on the enforcement, some of my fellow RV'rs tell me California Highway Patrol does look out for the presence of break-away cables on toad vehicles. Theses cables would show certain proof to the in-motion patrol troopers that the vehicle has an auxiliary braking system in service. Think I'll research that and return to this forum my findings in the coming days. I use a Brake-Buddy with mine. I always have the break-away cable attached. And honestly, given the expense of your vehicles, and liability concerns today...I just think it's a good idea to utilize. My 2 cents which actually belongs to my bride! Happy Trails
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your responses. I wasn't thinking that the auxiliary system was necessary but wasn't sure. I appreciate your help.
Iam2alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Iam2alan, you need an auxiliary braking system if you're going to tow. If something happened to your towed vehicle without a braking system your insurance company may not cover the damages. Anyway, why chance it.
If you air brakes the best system is the Air Force One it mirrors your braking action using direct proportional braking. No inertia.
https://smibrake.com
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

I like the RViBrake and have used one for about 5 years. Works great. Since I have 2 vehicles that can be used as toads, ability to switch between vehicles is a plus.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #9

In some states, including California, anything above 1500 lbs requires on-board active braking of some sort, controlled by the tow vehicle. That includes trailers as well as towed automobiles. That is for active towing. The other half of the equation is what happens if and when your toad breaks away from the tow vehicle (your 31FK). It happens, and it's always unexpected. Many states also require that toad to have a braking system which will BECOME active if and when the toad were to break free of the tow vehicle. That can't happen any other way than to have an auxiliary braking system which can be applied when all cables, wires, or hydraulic lines are torn free. There are many systems available, both new and used, and they usually work pretty well. Some require more modification of the toad than others. Some keep the driver notified of system status while moving. Pretty much all of them are active for normal braking assist, and become self-active in the event of a breakaway. There are some circumstances where your insurance company won't pay for any damage, injury, or death associated with a breakaway, if you haven't taken steps to install, use, and maintain such a system. I wouldn't tow without one. It's far more than braking assist for the added load, or what condition your tow vehicle brakes are currently in.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

This is a good start.

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

State and Province Towing Laws

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

BTW, a car towed four down is still technically a trailer- it's a full trailer because none of it's weight is carried on the tow vehicle. A semi-trailer is one where a part of the trailers weight is carried on the tow vehicle. So wherever in the law it describes trailers, it will include what we are calling toads 4-down.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #12

This is what I have. Tow bar and brake in one.

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/R...V_Tow_Bar.html

Very simple to hook up and unless the cable breaks, you will always know you have assist.

Simple hook up and way less expensive than an electric setup with a tow bar. I tow our wrangler and have the MOPAR harness. Connects directly to the Jeep electrical system and powers the brakes and turn signals. Does not put miles on the jeep.

I can be hooked up in 5 minutes or less. Takes even less time to unhook.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #13

I have a car dolly that has a clip to prevent the shunt brakes from operating when backing up. I left it in on a short drive down my driveway and saw a significant increase in the amount of brake application I had to apply. I could not imagine having to perform an emergency brake application without added brakes on the towed unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #14

Somewhere, online, is a chart of each states' laws requiring brake systems for towed vehicles. I do not remember the website, but you probably can find it via Google.............
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

Towed and equipment listed in my signature. Only safe way to tow is with an auxiliary braking system irregardless of state law.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Towed and equipment listed in my signature. Only safe way to tow is with an auxiliary braking system irregardless of state law.
This^. In addition, it's not just about the safety of you, your family, and your belongings. It's also about the safety of those around you. I haven't ever had a trailer or toad break free of my tow vehicle. But some friends have.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #17

A little late with this, but I just had the brake buddy installed with the remote for my 37TS and towing my Silverado is necessary, it is pushing my RV without the brakes on and illegal if not installed in toad in most states, good luck.
Seneca Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #18

States have different rules about how heavy of a vehicle can be towed without having a braking system. But I believe in most states at some point it is a requirement. Personally I would have a braking system on anything I tow, regardless of how heavy it is, and no matter which state I was in. In the unfortunate event you are involved in an accident, and it's determined you did not have a breaking system, I see liability. I use the RVi2 brake system, it's really easy to connect and it can be used in multiple vehicles.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote