Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #1

broken wires.

While setting up the RV after several days of travel I saw two wires that had broken off along with the cable sleeve they use on all the wiring underneath. They had been dragging on the ground. One is white and the other is green or turquoise 14 gauge. they come out of a much larger sleeve a little in front of the left rear tires. They seem to be pointing forward, one reaches the battery box and the other is about a foot longer. Can't find where they are going to. Every thing seems to be working so I am stumped. no power to them, and no fuses seem to be blown. Any ideas??
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have backup lights?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #3

White is usually a ground wire. You can put a DC volt meter on the wire and the other end to the + side of the battery. If you show voltage, you know it is a ground wire. Green wire sounds like 12 volt lighting circuit wire. Turn on flashers, directionals, running lights one at a time and check the wire with the DC volt meter. Place the one probe of the meter to a good ground and the other probe on the wire that is if you have not already tried these steps.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Being a MH, it could be one of 4 dozen things.

My first guess is rear lights or 7pin trailer plug. They are on separate circuits. They can work on the MH and not for the trailer, and vise versa.

With a helper, check all the exterior lights. If they work, a there is a 7 pin circuit tester, you pug into the female adaptor, as you apply power to the circuit an led light illuminates. If it is for the 7 pin plug, you might get lucky by looking at the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and see if it blow a fuse when it broke.

Per the 7 pun wiring diagram, the green wire is for the "tail and running lights", might be a place to start with a multimeter, when parked, with the running lights turned on.

Good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #5

I finally got around to a more thorough check, and found I had no running lights. I turned on the headlights, but no lights at the back. Stop lights, & turn lights OK. I checked the fuse, AOK, then I put 12 volts thru the broken wires and I had running lights. OK I know where the wires go, but so far I can't find where they broke off from. Everything is in bundles and I just don't see where they originated from.

I felt and looked all the way up to the generator, but darkness and an aching back put a halt for the day. Sucks getting old! If I can't find where they come from, I don't know how I'll get back home.Sigh. My dealer sent me a lot of wiring diagrams, but none had the Ford lighting wiring.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #6

Well I feel like an idiot. Might blame it on getting old. Had a repair man out today he took a while to find that the wires had came from the side marker light and hooked them back up. But why no running lights still?? The fuse under the hood was OK, had blown it in the past from a short in the trailer I was towing. Didn't even think that there was another fuse for the running lights in the fuse box in the cab. He replaced it and all is well now. These are things I would have found 10 years ago, but not now. Getting old sucks!!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #7

At least it's fixed and now you may have helped someone else if they have a similar issue...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
These are things I would have found 10 years ago, but not now. Getting old sucks!!
Agree, and it ain't for sissies! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
agree, and it ain't for sissies! Lol
Ditto !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
Well I feel like an idiot. Might blame it on getting old. Had a repair man out today he took a while to find that the wires had came from the side marker light and hooked them back up. But why no running lights still?? The fuse under the hood was OK, had blown it in the past from a short in the trailer I was towing. Didn't even think that there was another fuse for the running lights in the fuse box in the cab. He replaced it and all is well now. These are things I would have found 10 years ago, but not now. Getting old sucks!!
Hey MadDad-
Glad you got the problems fixed.
I know what you mean about getting old (I'm 70) but make the best of what you have. Focus on the positive and you will enjoy retired life even more.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Hey MadDad-
Glad you got the problems fixed.
I know what you mean about getting old (I'm 70) but make the best of what you have. Focus on the positive and you will enjoy retired life even more.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Yeah, just hit 70 a couple of weeks ago myself.I find quite often the solution to a problem will pop into my head hours later.