Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Bunk Beds

Does anyone know how the bunk beds are attached to the slide out?

I want to remove them but I see no exposed fasteners and the
plywood is stapled in place.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #2

In our Greyhawk 31FS, I made the bottom bunk wider so it would accept a twin mattress. To do this, I had to remove the bunk completely so I could move the drawers out even with the mattress so the drawers could still be used.

Ours was a 2009, so newer models might be constructed different. There was a fascia that went around the drawers. This stuck up above the bunk a few inches to keep the mattress in place. There were a few screws that held it on. I did not remove the existing plywood and didn't have to.

On the walls of the slideout there was a piece of 1x2 that the bunk sat on. There were 4 screws on the long side and 2 on each short side. It probably would be easier to get to these screws without the plywood, but I managed.

You should be able to pry the staples up to remove the plywood. Knowing Jayco, there are probably 500 staples so it will be time consuming. If your bunks are built like ours, you don't need to remove the plywood to take the bunk out.

Unfortunately, I did not remove the top bunk, so I don't know how the top comes off. We used ours for storage as it was too small to be used by the kids after they became teenagers.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #3

Like the previous poster said the facia is what is holding most of it up. There are some lateral boards for support that are stapled/glued/screwed to the outer wall.

The whole thing is pretty flimsy and I'm surprised they don't break. Well, mine did and that's how I know where they are attached.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Thank you!

I pulled the fascia, screwed on, and pried the bottom vinyl cover plywood
and that expose the 8 screws that hold it in place. Removing the 1/8 in lower plywood was way easier than trying to pull the 500 staples from the 1/2 top plywood.

Wow 2x2 construction, way weaker than I would have built it.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote