Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Buyer Beware Wish I had never bought Jayco!

Purchased 2019 Redhawk 26XD on 9/21/19. After two trips decided it had a problem with "roadwalking(drifts from side to side)!" Called dealer in early December, first availalble appointment was 2/11/19! Dealer kept for a month & we naively assumed they would fix the problem! They sent for alignment, failed to provide written report & did not fix the problem!

Called Jayco for some assistance in how to resolve this issue & was told I should have called within 90 days - they couldn't help me. Stated that I had called their AUTHORIZED DEALER within 90 days & they said dealer didn't notify them. How is that my problem - don't you train your dealers in what you need! Is it written anywhere that when I make an appointment with your dealer I am supposed to call & report to Jayco too! No wonder hold times are so long at Jayco! They were no help at all & in fact very lackadaisical & uninterested!

If this such a problem which I have to assume due to the large number of threads & responses on the owner's forum - why doesn't Jayco address it. If an aftermarket fix is needed, why doesn't the dealer call & suggest it & get authorization to proceed! After waiting two months, driving 1-1/2 for service & leaving at dealer for a month IS NOT THE PURPOSE TO FIX IT!

Very dissapointed with Jayco customer service & feel their 2 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on! Their JRIDE must be a joke if vehicle can't go down the road straight & Jayco doesn't care! For those of you considering buying Jayco I hope you will read this first & go elsewhere I wish I had! Once the dealer & Jayco get your $$$ they are no longer interested in your problems!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

You have a dealer problem not a Jayco problem.

Also any Class C you buy (I can’t speak to Class As) will have the exact same handling problem - those without JRide significantly worse. My Winnebago was flat out terrible.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I have a friend with a Redhawk 26XD and he also had the similar complaint on steering. Took it to a Ford dealer and it was fixed under warranty. Last time I talked with him within the last month, he was happy with the end result although it did take a few months to get it resolved.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

I feel your pain as I had a major failure with a Crossroads TT and it was unusable for 6 months shortly after I bought it. I just purchased a Greyhawk on Saturday and the salesman told me that the local Ford dealer would address any engine or chassis issues. I just assumed that if I have a problem with either the engine or chassis I call Ford. I hope that’s the case because my RV dealer is swamped.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #5

2017 jayco 26xd, had the wandering 7 steering issues when I first got it. took to a garage that does large trucks. Talked to alignment guy and beforre I finished he was telling me the issues and said he guanteered he could fix it.
Replaced the caster camber busing to get the needed adjustments and made a world of difference to the point that I have not felt the need to make any other handling fixes. Cost me $347.00 total but to me well worth it especially since I have not felt the need to do any other handling fixes.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

How it's loaded also makes a big difference.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #7

Escalate at both dealer and Jayco.
Speak with manager's and manager's manager and up.

Stay calm, stay cool and stay determined.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Escalate at both dealer and Jayco.
Speak with manager's and manager's manager and up.

Stay calm, stay cool and stay determined.
X2 don’t take no for an answer. The wrong hitch was installed on my Seneca and first contact with them they said sorry. 8 very heated emails later it was on order. You have a 2 year warranty not a 90 day warranty.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #9

Your RV has too little +caster

Ford ships these E350/E450 Cutaways off the assembly line
with fixed non adjustable Caster bushings. After the RV build
the for/aft nose angle will determine the final runtime caster.
Typically the resulting caster is +3 to +4 degrees which is
OK for city driving BUT you want to have +5 to +6 degrees
of Caster for highway driving, OTHERWISE:

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

This information is not universally accepted so you need to prepare
to stick handle your way through the quagmire. Here is an account
by 2kGeorgieBoy that may help you.

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #10

There's another thread or two floating around about this issue. As I recall the resolution was to have the caster on the front end set to 5 deg. Apparently most alignment shops set it to 3.5 deg which is not enough to keep the wheel centered at highway speeds. You might want check out the search box. Just to so you know, there is also apparently an issue with the steering wheel not being exactly centered when the alignment is done. Ford allows a certain amount of offset in their specs. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

That is what we are doing now! Will pay out of pocket to get fixed since neither the dealer or Jayco are interested!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

It is a Jayco problem as well because they were unhelpful & stated they would pay for us to take to an alignment shop to have work done if I had contacted them within 3 months! As I stated, where does it tell me that if I go to an authorized dealer for warranty service I am also required to notify Jayco of my issues! Is that "just in case" their authorized service people are iineffective, unhelpful, incapable of fixing the problem! Doesn't speak well for Jayco or the dealer who sold us the unit does it!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #13

Agreed & was not told I needed to advise Jayco customer service that I was taking my RV in for service at their authorized dealer & this is the problem! Why would I need to advise Jayco if this is their authorized dealer!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #14

I'm very unclear about the 90 day comment and Jayco saying the dealer should have called them but didn't. What did the dealer have to say about that? Your dealer really failed you. I don't see how Jayco is at fault.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm very unclear about the 90 day comment and Jayco saying the dealer should have called them but didn't. What did the dealer have to say about that? Your dealer really failed you. I don't see how Jayco is at fault.

I concur, this is a chassis problem which is not Jayco, it's the mfg of the chassis, your dealer knows this. They should of told you if you have issues with the vehicle (chassis), you take it to the vehicle dealer to fix, and the time frame. You have a dealer issue not a Jayco issue. Good Luck, now that you understand the problem it's much easier to get it repaired correctly.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I concur, this is a chassis problem which is not Jayco, it's the mfg of the chassis, your dealer knows this. They should of told you if you have issues with the vehicle (chassis), you take it to the vehicle dealer to fix, and the time frame. You have a dealer issue not a Jayco issue. Good Luck, now that you understand the problem it's much easier to get it repaired correctly.

While I agree this is a chassis problem, I disagree it is a problem the chassis manufacturer should take care of. When Ford supplies the chassis it is set to the specs to drive safely as it is supplied to Jayco. It is then taken by Jayco and built into a motorhome totally changing the weight distributions and characteristics of the chassis which Ford has no control over so IMO it is Jaycos problem not Fords.

Now every motorhome I have had, it states right in the manual (yes I read them) that after you get the chassis loaded the way you will be traveling to have the alignment checked. I have attached snip right out of the 2019 Greyhawk manual where it says this, it states the exact same in our new Seneca manual.

IMO it is the dealer that has failed you by saying that it was sent out for alignment. If they did send it out then demand they tell you the shop that did it and the specs that it was set to....if they cant or wont then they are lying never had it done. Try as much as you want but at this point you will probably have to pay for your own alignment set to specs that are tried and true based on the RV forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.PNG   Capture.PNG  

Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #17

I never really understood the wisdom of loading a Jayco Class 'C' as you would use it prior to getting aligned. The CCC on most of these rigs is so stingy as it is, most of them are close to max just sitting there on the lot.

You don't read anything in the Ford or Dodge manual stating you should align the truck after you drop 2k pounds of payload in it.

I put items in my coach but I don't sweat having it 'packed' prior to aligning it. Its already packed close enough. Now, if I had a Class 'A' with 4k pounds of CCC or something like that maybe I could see the value in it.

Just my 2 cents.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #18

I attempted to take the RV to Ford but spent 2 hours on the phone, getting disconnected & transferred because no one could tell me which Ford dealer could service a motorhome! Not every Ford dealer can handle an RV! Finally after hours I was referred to a Ford dealer who should be able to do it. He answered the phone after disconnecting me & said I was trying to put you on speaker because I don't really have time to talk to you, but I disconnected you! Great start to the call! Then explained my problem he proceeded to tell me he had an RV stuck on the only lift that could handle one & it would be there until they ordered & received a transmission for it! He gave me another name even further away I'm now in the 1-1/2 hour range & near where the RV dealer is located! Wish the RV dealer would have suggested before I drove home 1-1/2 hours! Called that dealer he is capable of doing the work but had such a backlog he couldn't take it for weeks! In fact, wouldn't even make an appointment told me to call back in a couple weeks!

See why I'm so frustrated! I called a local alignment shop made an appointment took it in this morning & should be done by around 100PM! Easy Peasy is just going to be at my expense because I didn't call Jayco Customer Service within 90 days to tell them I was taking this problem to their authorized dealer! Very strange customer service in my opinion & very poor way to handle a Jayco owner with a problem!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #19

Beware of the "tweak the toe and your are good to go" alignment. Your RV needs adjustable caster/camber sleeves for the necessary caster alignment. For sure, Ford dealerships are not going to help fix your RVs problem because to them the caster is already within specification (spec is appox +1.5 to +7.2 degrees). You are most likely at ABOUT +3.5 or so and you want to get that up to +5.5 degrees.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Site Team

My F350 in my sig did not have camber/castor sleeves. I had it aligned at a Ford shop and no one ever said they could not adjust it. I took it to an independent shop that I trust and they added them and aligned it. The truck had 135K on it when that was done.

When getting a large truck like a class C chassis, it needs to go to a Truck dealer, not a regular ford dealership.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread