Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

bypassing water filter

on our previous tt we left the filter cartridge out and did not disconnect the filter housing. winterizing just filled canister with rv antifreeze. no big deal just an additional 1/2 gal of antifreeze. planning to do the same with our new motorhome. have been using inline filter connected to hose and discard at end of each season.. any comments????
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

I don't see any problem with your plan, I didn't have an onboard filter in my prior two units and always got by with an external filter. I do use my onboard filter, just one less thing I have to connect and disconnect at each campsite. My only suggestion is to make sure your external filter is not more restrictive than the internal one is or you may be unhappy with your water flow.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

thanks, I do not like unscrewing filter each time to change cartridge. housing is in an awkward restricted place and would never know if it developed a lead before major flood. so that is why I do not use it. have read of some having leaked and caused major damage over time.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

I completely understand! The onboard filter in my Seneca is in an easily accessible spot in my wet bay. If it would leak, no big deal plus it is easy to change the element there too. But if it were inside somewhere I would be hesitant too.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #5

I believe you have a 22J, same as me. Yes the Inline filter being under the hanging locker with all the electrical connection strikes me as plain DUMB. I have to vacuum the water out of the filter housing as it will not come out with out tilting it to fit through the drawer opening (Full of water).
That a good question - is the filter between outside fill and tank or tank and inside system. I have to look and see if it can be moved.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

My filter was under the bathroom sink. It started to leak and fortunately I was in the MH. I removed it and reran the pex. I use an external filter now. Easy to replace and less chance of a leak inside.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

thanks, I am thinking of removing it..
Old 03-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

hi, how do you like your 22j, any issues? we had an alignment done, was way out of spec, went to caster between +5 and+5.3.STARTED TO SEAL UNDERCARRIAGE WITH PRODUCT CALLED FLUID FILM.