Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Cab bed and new mattress

The cab bed in our greyhawk needs to be replaced. It’s not comfortable and it smells. I have read many reviews on mattresses here and have 2 questions. What’s so great about memory foam. Does it not remember your shape and make it hard to roll over ? Secondly do we need to worry about weight?
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

We have a memory foam mattress in out TT, and it's a huge improvement from the original. It does not remember your shape, it merely reduces pressure points, compared to a regular one. I was skeptical, but only if it was going to be hot, which it's not.

Ours is 10" thick, compared to the 8" Denver, so it is about 8 pounds heavier.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Our oem mattress was a waste of crumpled newsprint and cheap cotton.

We replace it with a Zinus 10 inch s it came in short queen and was a perfect size replacement. After many nights it has been more comfortable than our king at home.

Some people can't get used to the feel of memory foam but I think most do. Hope this review helps.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

Since you're talking about the cab-over bed, and not the "master", I'm curious about the size. The current mattress would be 2 pieces because of the removable section in the middle.

So the way I see it, you have 3 options:

1) Find a mattress that fits just the "whole" front part of the bed area (perhaps about a "twin" size?) So that you can retain the ability to remove the panel.

2) Find a mattress that fits the entire area and forget ever removing the panel.

3) Find a mattress that fits the entire area, and then cut out the area for the removable panel.

I would probably try to find a mattress that fits the entire area and not remove the panel. I haven't removed our panel since I don't know when. And that's my son's "room", so I want him to be comfortable up there with a "whole" bed.

As for the added weight, for us that's no a big deal from the perspective of the cab-over capacity as it's rated at 700 lbs. It may be a consideration for the available CCC on your rig if you're on the margin?

Personally, I'm glad you asked this question because it's gotten me to thinking about what I'll do up there when the time comes. For now, my son is so small, the OEM mattress is fine. Not great, but adequate. And I don't know any adults that will ever sleep up there. As he grows, I'm sure I'll start getting the complaints about his hips digging into the wood underneath. I would probably just go with as thin a memory foam mattress as I could get (maybe 6") in a size as close to the entire space as I could get and call it good. We all sleep on Zinus memory foam at home, and we like it. Our master also has Zinus memory foam with a 2" soft topper and it sleeps better than the one in our house IMO.

Some other considerations as I type this out: Will a taller mattress infringe on the TV swing arm? Will a taller mattress block part of the window?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

We never move the centre piece so not an issue. It currently has a 3” full size topper but it’s still not comfortable. After some helpful reply’s we are thinking zinus 8” green tea in full size. We are choosing full because of the TV we might use it allows it to swing. It’s a bit short but it will work and give more comfort. We will also have to put some plywood in the opening
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

When staying one night at rest area or WM lot I do not put out slide s at night. Being 6’ tall and sleeping on my stomach the back bed is to short. My feet are constantly against the wall. Because of this we added a 3” memory foam topper in the front cab. Love it. Sleeps great and made the existing pad much better. Could not live with the original one. We never remove panel so no issues for us. Good luck with your choice

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy newbie View Post
We never move the centre piece so not an issue. It currently has a 3” full size topper but it’s still not comfortable. After some helpful reply’s we are thinking zinus 8” green tea in full size. We are choosing full because of the TV we might use it allows it to swing. It’s a bit short but it will work and give more comfort. We will also have to put some plywood in the opening
Sounds like a great plan.

Would you post back here with an update and maybe even a pic when you get it all set up?

Like I said, now you've got me thinking... I want my son to enjoy camping with us as much and for as long as possible, so his comfort is important to me.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #8

We are not at that point of needing to replace the bed in the cab-over-bed but it is an interesting thread.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote