Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

cable tv hook up

we are owners of new leftover 2017 grey hawk rv. when connecting the cable to the main tv cable hook up on the drivers side of rv there is terrible reception but when hooking it to the outside connection for use of an outside tv the reception the picture is clear. not sure what problem is. Help if anyone know, thanks.
jpolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

Not sure about your configuration, but generally you need to turn off the 12 volt power supply button that feeds the roof antenna when hooking up to cable.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Sounds like one of the connections for the inside TV isn’t tight, or has a bad ground. Everything else is the same? Same cable, same side of the splitter if you are using one, etc?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

Turn off the antenna booster...it's located in the cabinet directly above the door. It's a small push button and should have a indicator light showing if it's on or off.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

thanks for the tips, I have checked and do not see any buttons or switches anywhere for the antenna. and am not sure of the routing behind the walls for connections or splitters. just seemed odd that the only connection that works is the one that is downstream (so to speak) of the main connection. I will keep looking since the antenna information packet says nothing about this. Thanks again to all
Old 05-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

I think cabinetmaker and others are correct. In our 2018 29MV, I need a step stool to see in the cabinet above the entrance door and make the change from antenna to cable. Open the cabinet door. On the left side is a brown plate with a coax connector in the middle. On the right side of that coax connector is a small green light that should be lit when using the roof antenna and off when using an exterior signal from a coax cable. The "button" you are looking for is also on the same switch plate and could be about 1/16" or 1/8" in diameter. Push in, it's on; push in again, it's off.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Thank you all for inspiring me to look further.I finally found the button and the green light as you mentioned and will try it soon hooked up to cable. Our button was located above the drivers seat on the wall in the loft. near the tv set. everything seems obvious after you locate something. Thanks again and I will post when checking reception with the button off.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

In our 31DS we used cable for the first time while on vacation for that last two weeks. Found the booster and viola....had excellent channel reception. They should placard this as it seems everyone has to learn it the hard way (I spent $20 on a new cable before I found the solution on the internet).
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolito View Post
we are owners of new leftover 2017 grey hawk rv. when connecting the cable to the main tv cable hook up on the drivers side of rv there is terrible reception but when hooking it to the outside connection for use of an outside tv the reception the picture is clear. not sure what problem is. Help if anyone know, thanks.
Did you push the tiny tiny button next to inside cable connector to get cable and push it again for antenna. We didn't find out about that button until 4th trip
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

2017 38REFS Pinnacle

The antenna power and wall plate is below the radio/DVD player on a narrow height shelf. On hands and knees with a flashlight, the plate is located on the back wall. Push the button to turn on and off.
Hope this helps.
JamesHarold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #11

Maybe this will help...

Google image...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote