Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #1

California DMV License Requirements - Seneca

Does anyone know the DMV endorsement requirements for a 2020 Seneca with a GVWR of 29k lbs.

Barry
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfriedman View Post
Does anyone know the DMV endorsement requirements for a 2020 Seneca with a GVWR of 29k lbs.

Barry

Unless CA laws have changed, all that is required is a regular driver license. I had a 38 ft diesel pusher on a bus chassis that weighed a lot more than the Seneca, drove it for years when I lived in CA, and needed nothing more than a normal license. I forget what the weight limit is that requires a CDL, but the Seneca does not fall into that catagory.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

California DMV License Requirements

Well after spending hours on the CA DMV site and Google, I think I need a Commercial Class B license. Seems like nobody knows for sure but that is my best guess. The written and skills test looks easy enough and you can get a learners permit that is good for a year. The problem is they require that you drive with someone that has the endorsement you are applying for to be with you at all times. You also need to bring that person to the DMV when taking your driving skills test! Where am I going to find someone with a Commercial Class B license that wants to hang out with me while I get proficient driving the Seneca???

My (I really mean my wife's) biggest concern is what will happen if I have an accident. Will the insurance company try to get out of covering me because I didn't have the correct license endorsement? Seems like a big risk. Have any of your Seneca owners had the misfortune of having an accident and had any issues with insurance coverage?

Starting to think that I would be better off with a Super C or Class A with a GVWR of less than 26k lbs.

Thoughts?

Barry
Old 10-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Team

I'd make a phone call to your local DMV office, and explain that you have a motorhome with a GVWR of 29k lbs. that's not used commercially, and ask if your regular license is adequate.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #5

The way I read CA's site it states

"A Noncommercial Class B DL and endorsement is required if you operate A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet."

At just over 39 feet the Seneca should not require a Noncommercial Class B license.

The Noncommercial Class A dealers with towing trailers and fifth wheels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

This is what I see:

With a Commercial Class B License:
a single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 pounds.

With a noncommercial Class B License:
any vehicles under Class C.
any housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de..._htm/lic_chart
Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

If you're under 40' you only need a basic license..The 2 axle under 26,000 applies to a commercial vehicle and that is based on the Federal CDL over the road requirements..

With a Basic Class C License:

a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less.
a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.
a motorized scooter.
any housecar 40 feet or less.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

this always comes up, I have a seneca and a class c license, read all the info, for me it is clear any house car under forty feet, but you can go to the DMV and I doubt you can get a straight answer, because non of them know
Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #9

By chance know a local cop. Or state trooper?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

Well after checking everywhere and asking a lot of "experts", I believe that in California I can legally drive the Seneca with a standard Class C license. The DMV language is not very clear but apparently the over 26k lb limitation only applies to commercial vehicles. The Class B is for vehicles over 40', there is no specific language that addresses non commercial vehicles under 40' that weight over 26k lbs.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
MD3

I thought it was clear in CA.... states it pretty clear and specific - directly from the CA DMV website.

Class C DL - You may drive a:
- 2-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds (lbs.) or less.
- 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
- Housecar 40 feet or less.
- 3-wheel motorcycle with 2 wheels located in the front or back.
- Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver.

link here : https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...bk/lic_classes

Also stated online is :
Housecar/Motorhome (Noncommercial Class B)
— Over 40 feet, but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.

You will be fine with a regular Class C.
Relax and enjoy your Seneca.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #12

I guess what confused me is the statement that the vehicle needs to be 26k lbs or less. The Seneca is 29k lbs.

Barry
Old 10-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #13

How about with a trailer behind the Seneca? I have an ATV trailer and a boat/trailer that I tow. I'm always under GCWR but I'm pushing the "single tow" length limit in CA with the boat/trailer.

I had a buddy recently stopped and ticketed because he was towing a fifth wheel flat bed trailer with his pick up. Officer said he needed a Class B based on the GVWR of the trailer, even though it was empty at the time he was stopped.

I've looked a couple of times but can't seem to find anything about "House car + trailer" in the CA rules.
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:

Barry
I’m curious where this 29k weight comes from. Are the 2020’s that much heavier than my 2015?

My yellow sticker says my 37TS weighs 21k
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I’m curious where this 29k weight comes from. Are the 2020’s that much heavier than my 2015?

My yellow sticker says my 37TS weighs 21k
That is its empty weight, our chassis have a 28,000 max gross weight. Most licensing entities categorize requirements by gross weight, not empty weight.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
Say

X2
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Well after spending hours on the CA DMV site and Google, I think I need a Commercial Class B license. Seems like nobody knows for sure but that is my best guess. The written and skills test looks easy enough and you can get a learners permit that is good for a year. The problem is they require that you drive with someone that has the endorsement you are applying for to be with you at all times. You also need to bring that person to the DMV when taking your driving skills test! Where am I going to find someone with a Commercial Class B license that wants to hang out with me while I get proficient driving the Seneca???

My (I really mean my wife's) biggest concern is what will happen if I have an accident. Will the insurance company try to get out of covering me because I didn't have the correct license endorsement? Seems like a big risk. Have any of your Seneca owners had the misfortune of having an accident and had any issues with insurance coverage?

Starting to think that I would be better off with a Super C or Class A with a GVWR of less than 26k lbs.

Thoughts?

Barry
Getting the class B is easy a few tests since you are not required to get a DMV physical you might go ahead and get one they are easy also find a chiropractor who is licensed to give DMV physical they charge like 60.00 in and out in about 15 min but yes get your class b
jjayman1741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #18

I have a 2012 Seneca 37FS purchased out of state in 2012. When licensing in CA had to pay the difference in taxes from what I paid in Florida to CA. DMV verified engine met CA requirements and no other license requirements. CA Class C license was all they required.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #19

2020 Seneca

Weight

Towing Capacity 12,000 lbs.

GVWR 29,000 lbs
Old 08-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #20

I am gonna ask the group this question again as I am selling my 20k pound gvwr horse trailer because I wasn't going to get a non commercial class a to tow it and just got a 2014 Seneca 37ts. It says gvwr is 28k. I was about to pay someone to get me new stickers to say 26k instead.... comments please.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote