Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

~Can it be the converter? (GreyHawk 2009)

What works:

GENERATOR ON: House batteries charge as they should.

SHORE POWER: House batteries not charging

DRIVING: House batteries not charging.

I'm hoping to find, then test fuses, switches, etc.

Any advice or thoughts is/are appreciated.
WGEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

If the battery charges from the genset, then the converter is doing it's job. Do you have 115VAC to your outlets when plugged into shore power?

That year of Greyhawk won't charge house batteries from the engine.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
If the battery charges from the genset, then the converter is doing it's job. Do you have 115VAC to your outlets when plugged into shore power?

That year of Greyhawk won't charge house batteries from the engine.

Small point. I mis-typed (I doubt it matters) ... it is an '08 (30,000 miles)

I do have full power to all outlets on shore power
Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

From your description I can't see the problem. Your converter 115VAC is fed from either the genset or shore power via an ATS (automatic transfer switch). The ATS is working because the 115VAC is making it to your outlets. The converter is working because your batteries are charging from it when on genset. Somebody else is going to have to chime in with the possible problem because from your description everything is working except battery charging from shore power.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

do you have a EMS hardwired?

did you check the voltage coming out of the truck?

do you have 2 fuses one for the gen and one for the shore power?
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

I agree with hoppers4 that this is indeed a weird one. I would assume that the converter is tied into the output from the transfer switch, which is basically just a fancy relay which connects either the shore power or the generator to all 120 volt items. Nothing magical here.

This should be a simple thing to troubleshoot if you are comfortable using a multi-meter. This is a MUST HAVE tool for all! It doesn't have to be expensive as a $15 one will troubleshoot just as well as $200 ones. You don't need anything fancy to measure 12 volt or 120 volt items.

Locate your converter and find the input cable. See where it goes and measure the 120 volt input. There should be 120 volts coming into it when on EITHER shore or generator power. If it is missing while on shore power you will need to trace how it is wired in. You can also measure the 12 volt output which should measure well above 13 volts when charging batteries.

Just be sure to exercise caution when measuring 120 volts as it can be lethal. As long as you don't touch bare wiring with your body, you are safe. Also, don't short the wires together as that will produce a nice spark and may cause you to require an underwear change.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

JimD has the trouble shooting steps right. I would like to add this to them.

I doubt the gen set wires are landed where the shore power wires are landed on the input to the converter. Reason being you do not want to back feed the generator while on shore power. Safety issues in that. Anyway if you have separate power feeds to the converter that you can read power on from the gen set or shore, and everything works going out of the converter except generator power you have a converter board failure.

Like I said for safety reasons the inputs have to be separate and isolated so if you have only one power feed into the converter you will have an isolator in that circuit someplace and it has failed.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender on the road View Post
I doubt the gen set wires are landed where the shore power wires are landed on the input to the converter.
There's only one 115VAC power input to the converter. Power selection input to the converter is made via an automatic transfer switch prior to the converter. This switch is functional because the converter is operational from both inputs (genset and shore). If the battery is charging from the genset, then that 115VAC input from the genset has made it to and through the converter. If the house outlets are functional from shore power, then shore power 115VAC has made it through the converter to the outlets.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #9

Don, I see what you are saying. Converter works. One point though, the batteries are on a DC circuit.

Now I am just going to ponder out loud. If the batteries do not charge from the engine and shore power those are two entirely different power circuits. One DC and one AC inverted back to DC.

Working backwards to the engine from the batteries there should be essentially nothing between the truck alternator and the batteries.

The batteries charge from the gen set. Is there a direct DC output from the generator? On the Sunseeker we had there was. I have not dug into our Seneca far enough to find that out, but it would make sense that it also has a direct DC output from the genny. One of the selling points was "You can charge the truck batteries from the generator" In my Seneca manual there is nothing written about charging the coach batteries and having the converter power switch in the on position. One way to check that is to disconnect the engine battery cables and turn the genny on. Check the voltage at the house batteries and at the engine battery cables. It should be the same. If you see less than say 13 to 14 volts at the engine there is something that has gone bad in that circuit.

Now the converter AC circuit is a different beast. Is the one he has a duel unit? Converts DC to AC and AC to DC? If so check the output to the batteries with out wires attached. Should read 13 or 14 volts. Reattach the wires and read again. If it is not the same 13 to 14 volts pull the negative wire off and set your meter to amps. Should produce some current, though not much more than a couple of amps. If there is no current the converter output is bad and you will need a new board.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

I never thought about the generator directly charging the batteries. Didn't know that feature existed but it makes sense in this case.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #11

You may be overthinking this thing. The converter gets AC from either shore power or gen power and charges the batteries. No need for the genset to have it's own AC/DC converter. The manual mentions only a 120 volt, 33 amp output.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #12

It turns out it was the battery itself !!!

Less than 3 years old. Seems like everything is doing what I think it should. I'm still learning about the inverter ... Should it work while the coach is running?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

The inverter on my 2015 Greyhawk only powers the cabover outlet and the TV. Your rig may be different. This outlet goes dead with ignition on unless you make a mod to it to disable this feature.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
The inverter on my 2015 Greyhawk only powers the cabover outlet and the TV. Your rig may be different. This outlet goes dead with ignition on unless you make a mod to it to disable this feature.

Oh. That seems like a 'feature' that feels like a 'bug' :-)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #15

The inverter in my 2017 Greyhawk feeds both the front TV outlet as well as the bedroom TV outlet. I have "modified" my front outlet so it works normally with the engine running. I never run the TV while driving but did the mod anyway.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The inverter in my 2017 Greyhawk feeds both the front TV outlet as well as the bedroom TV outlet. I have "modified" my front outlet so it works normally with the engine running. I never run the TV while driving but did the mod anyway.

In general terms, how would you describe the 'mod' ??? I have kids who I'd like keep entertained.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #17

The "mod" is basically just cutting a wire. There is a relay on the back of the electrical outlet that is controlled by a 12 volt wire from the engine ignition circuit. When the engine is running the 12 volts will pull in the relay killing the 120 volt feed to the outlet. Cutting the wire solves the problem.

Here is a link to a discussion on the subject. I tried adding it as a link but that feature isn't working. Just copy and paste the following:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-on-11021.html
Old 11-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #18

This is a great thread!

I thought I had the same problem but for some reason it just started to work.
Stuck relay or something. However there is more than enough diagnostic
info in here to solve the problem if it happens again.

Thanks
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
You may be overthinking this thing. The converter gets AC from either shore power or gen power and charges the batteries. No need for the genset to have it's own AC/DC converter. The manual mentions only a 120 volt, 33 amp output.
Yes, this is way over thought! Never over look the simple.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:22 AM   #20

I noticed my 08 would drain batteries if the genset was set to auto when running but it charged them when in manual mode I guess it charges when on shore power as I be never had a problem
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote