Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Canoe

Has anybody figured out a practical method for loading and unloading a canoe on the roof of a class c? I have a 15' canoe that weighs about 115 pounds that I would like to be able to take along on trips. I have seen the elaborate boat loaders that are available as well as the homemade ones, but none really apply to class c motorhomes. I just wanted to see if any of you helpful folks have done this or if it's more trouble than it is worth.

I did put the canoe on the roof with my forklift and it straddles the a/c and vents just fine. I would build a roof rack to support the canoe and tie down to. The biggest issue would be getting it on and off the roof. Thanks for the help.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

Can you bring the forktruck along with? Wouldn't that be a sight to be scene in camp.

Seriously, have you consider replacing that rotomold canoe with something lighter, like a Kevlar or a ceder strip? You could stand it on end, next to the ladder, especially if you had some help easily just lift if up into place almost one handed. If you did it by yourself, you might want something to protect the edge of the roof.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Haha. I think the forklift only weighs 12k pounds, so seeing someone drag around a lift truck to just offload and load their 115 pound canoe would blow my mind. I’d probably be the guy to do it though.

I’ve looked at the Kevlar canoes. They are half the weight but the ones I’ve looked at are in the $3k-$4k range. I’ve considered loading my current canoe like what you’ve described, from the rear stood up. It’s got a square stern so that would make it easier to balance it. I’ve thought that I’d build a roller at the rear of the roof rack to protect the RV when loading/unloading. A 60 pound canoe sounds a little more appealing than what I currently have.

I am a metalworker by trade and can build a rack however I see fit. My biggest concern when doing so is how and where to attach the rack to the roof. I’ve contacted Jayco several times when I was installing solar panels on the roof hoping to get a schematic of the structure so that I can attach to studs rather than thin plywood. I never received a response to any of my inquiries. So far I haven’t been impressed with Jayco’s customer service, but that’s an entirely different discussion.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #4

This is what I did
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	60914
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #5

Here is the roof assy blueprint

Name:	Roof.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	60916

Name:	Roof2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	60917
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #6

We do it like this...
Attached Thumbnails
20171202_183535.jpg   20180504_111304.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

That Old Town looks like the same canoe we have.
Rouge River 154?

My goal is to be able to take the canoe while not towing a trailer, simply out of convenience. I should just look at lighter canoes to make it easier to get it onto the roof.

Thanks for the pictures and the schematic of your roof. I have a 2020 Redhawk 31F. I’m not sure if they’re similar or not. I’m still hoping Jayco will respond with the help I needed.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #8

If your handy, make a cedar stripper. Made a few over the years. They are light. My big one, when first built was 44 lbs. Weighs a bit more now. Added more flotation, and I have cracked the hull a few times, so it's been patched (more glass & resin).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
That Old Town looks like the same canoe we have.
Rouge River 154?
Yep... it has gone from Miami, all along the gulf coast... to Minnesota, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Utah.

One thing to consider... Now you will have to stop at EVERY Point of Entry in many, many states and have it inspected for invasive species.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #10

Look at vertiyak carrier. Stores canoe kayak along side of rear steps. Is there a reason you want to put it on roof? If not the above may work for you. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #11

I could not haul this canoe mounted vertically at the rear... It is 15-1/2’ long. Mounted vertically at bumper height would would put my height at about 17’. Even if I had kayaks, we like to take our bikes via hitch mounted rack.

I think if I want to be able to take along the canoe, I’ll first have to build a roof rack and rear roller to assist with loading.
Does anybody know a good way to find the aluminum studs beneath the roof? I’m assuming they run close to the edge along the sides, but I’d hate to guess and be wrong and have unnecessary holes in my roof to fill.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
I could not haul this canoe mounted vertically at the rear... It is 15-1/2’ long. Mounted vertically at bumper height would would put my height at about 17’. Even if I had kayaks, we like to take our bikes via hitch mounted rack.

I think if I want to be able to take along the canoe, I’ll first have to build a roof rack and rear roller to assist with loading.
Does anybody know a good way to find the aluminum studs beneath the roof? I’m assuming they run close to the edge along the sides, but I’d hate to guess and be wrong and have unnecessary holes in my roof to fill.

Thanks
Do you have enough room to put a canoe on top and be under 13-feet tall when loaded on the supports you will need to build on the roof???

Old 07-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

The way the canoe straddles the a/c unit and vents, it should be more like 12’.

Is 13’ the number to stay under?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
The way the canoe straddles the a/c unit and vents, it should be more like 12’.

Is 13’ the number to stay under?
I will let you decide what you feel you are comfortable... Take a look at the attached document (that is likely outdated on the day it was published) and see some of the bridge height you may encounter in your part of the country.

Document Credit: https://member.coach-net.com/members...bridgeinfo.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lowclearancebridgeinfo.pdf (1.26 MB, 4 views)