Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #21

Same problem with my 2019 31ft Redhawk. First trip out it would not take fuel. It would take 25 minutes to trickle in 5 gals. Nozzle kept kicking off regardless of position or how slow you you tried to squeeze handle. After multiple gas station attempts, I could see the problem of fuel filler tube in RV gets slightly higher for about 12 inches before it gets to tank. I figured out if I find a gass station that sloped away from the pump or I drive up on my leveling blocks, the fuel would flow into tank.
It's been at dealer for 3 weeks now. Shop manager says Jayco has no solution and told dealer to find away to fix it. They wanted to lower the tank several inches. I refused that solution because tank is too low to ground already. They said quite a few of their Jayco's have this problem and pretty much admitted it's a manfacture defect.
I feel lowering the tank creates a bigger safety issue. I'm still waiting for them to fix it said I won't pick it up until it's fixed and I can fill the tank without problems
Jayco Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomhack View Post
Thanks, I would appreciate it if you could post the email from Jayco. It would be a huge help. Tom

The name of the guy at Jayco is Wayne Wigner. His recommend fix did not work as the MH is back t the dealer. I will post more later.
Mikie5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #23

So the MH is back at the dealer. I took the MH to a gas station last Saturday and the pump ran for 1.8 gallons and then shut off. I had less then half a tank so there was plenty of room. I tried and tried and the pump just kept shutting off. Before I drove off I ended up putting the jack down on the drive side and tilting the MH to the passenger side and then tried to put gas and it worked just as I had suspected. When I got home I called the dealer right away and I also contacted Jayco on Monday to let them know. While on level ground I noticed the MH was leaning more on the drive side. I pull out the tape measure and measured each corner of the rear end. The driver side was 1.5 inches lower then the passenger side. I believe this is what is really causing the issue along with the recommend "fix" from Jayco and the splicer that the dealer put in to fix the pinched hose. I explained this all to the service manager at the dealer and I'm going to call Jayco this morning to explain it to them. Some how they need to figure out how to level the vehicle and put in a different filler neck, one that does not drop down then level out to solve this problem. I also want the dealer to replace the filler hose so it does not have a spice in it. I know I can fix this issue but I really shouldn't have to for the price I paid for this darn thing. I'm not sure the helper springs can be adjusted to level out the MH but I suggested they look into it. Anyone here know if tightening down on the helper spring U-Bolts on the driver side will help level it out?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Bunkhouse View Post
I feel lowering the tank creates a bigger safety issue. I'm still waiting for them to fix it said I won't pick it up until it's fixed and I can fill the tank without problems

I agree, lowering the tank is unacceptable. I am not familiar with your MH layout but mine as a full slide on the drvierside putting more weight on the driverside and causing it to lean more to the driverside. I measured it on level ground and it was 1.5 inches lower in the rear corner of the MH. One of the Ford dealers they sent it to noted that the issue was caused by the Fill Line being at level or lower then the tank. but they did not recommend a fix. That's when Wayne Wigner from Jayco recommend putting in a wedge in the filler neck which in my opinion only made it worse. It almost like a P-Trap in a sink where the gas is getting stuck in the P-Trap and the pump thinks the tank is full because the gas is trapped in the P-Trap. I'll keep you posted with what happens. But if they can't fix it this time my next call will be to a Lemon Law attorney.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindycpa View Post
We had the same problem but had to use the jacks to tip the RV up so the gas would flow into the tank. Jayco had no solution and of course Ford said the problem was Jayco, Jayco said the problem was Ford. My husband got the OK from Jayco to fix the hose himself and it worked. No problems since then and it has been since August of 2017. The gas filler hose line does not have enough of a drop to fill the tank properly so it gurgles back towards the gas pump then shuts it off. Our Jayco is the 2017 30X too-new design, old chassis but not engineered well.
Hi, do you know what your husband did to fix the hose himself? Any more info would help. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #26

Update fix 10/9/2019

Over the weekend I picked up my MH from the dealer again. They sent it off to a RV repair shop in Temecula CA called Temecula Valley RV. Since they filled the tank I was not able to test it but I am pretty confident that they fixed correctly. First they noted that the MH was leaning 1.5" to the driverside. They then took it to be weighed. They removed the rear leaf springs and had new ones fabricated for the true weight of the vehicle. They also fabricated a new plate for the filler neck and installed a straight filler neck to eliminate the 45 degree drop. They also installed a new extended filler hose and EVAP hose and rerouted them for a more unobstructed and straighter shot to the gas tank. There is no longer a droop or trap in the filler hose that is why I am pretty confident it will work. It's what I would've done myself had it not been under warranty. The MH does sit a little higher in the rear but they said the springs will settle over time. I actually like the way it sits because now it will clear better when exiting steeper driveways. If this doesn't fix the issue I will post an update but I am 99.9% sure it will. They noted in an email to the dealer that for other units with similar issues that if the coach was not leaning then they would only need to preform the fix for the fabricated filler neck and extended hoses but if it was leaning then they would need to replace the springs. I hope this helps someone out in the future.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #27

I happened to glance at my fuel fill hose while crawling under my 2017 Greyhawk and was very surprised to see the hose in such a condition. It had 2 kinked areas plus other damage. I haven't had any fill problems other than how much it costs to fill up the tank here in Southern California.

I wonder what caused the damaged area that looks like it melted or burnt. In any event I am going to replace the hose before my next trip. Just have to crawl back under there and measure the pipe size.
Attached Thumbnails
20191018_121816.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #28

Did you buy your rig from Richardsons RV? Just curious as that is where I got mine from their Riverside location.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I happened to glance at my fuel fill hose while crawling under my 2017 Greyhawk and was very surprised to see the hose in such a condition. It had 2 kinked areas plus other damage. I haven't had any fill problems other than how much it costs to fill up the tank here in Southern California.

I wonder what caused the damaged area that looks like it melted or burnt. In any event I am going to replace the hose before my next trip. Just have to crawl back under there and measure the pipe size.
The standard for fuel filler hose is 2” and places like Napa sell it by the foot but a lot better quality that the hose in the pic, just make sure it’s rated for fuel. The damaged area looks like it may just be undercoating heavily sprayed on it, I can also see undercoating on the bracket against the floor.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Did you buy your rig from Richardsons RV? Just curious as that is where I got mine from their Riverside location.
I bought mine from the Menifee location. It's been a real pain to have to take it all the way down there for repairs but the Riverside location wouldn't even look at it for 6 weeks. I really hope I never have to go back there. The Colton location is only about 10 minutes from me but I was told the service facility is not open yet, only the sales office.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #31

My hose is also kinked like JimD picture is. I noticed this when I was mounting the spare tire underneath. I have not had any problems filling it though nor with it melting either. I plan to just monitor it, but the kinking must be common.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #32

Problem solved!!!

I am happy to report that the problem has been fixed! I was able to successfully fill my tank twice with no issues. The fix they did worked great and it drives much better now with the new heavy duty springs in the rear. Before the springs I was being pushed all over the road by passing cars didn't matter if it was a little Toyota Corolla or an 18 wheeler. I still feel it when an 18 wheeler passes me but not by every single little car anymore. I was planning on doing the Steering stabilizer and the front sway bar upgrade, and I probably still will, but at least for now it feels much better. I truly think the new springs were a little overkill and all they really needed to do was adjust the hellwig helper springs but I'm not complaining. If anyone else experiences this same problem have your dealer contact Temecula Valley RV in Temecula California @ 951-894-2347. Measure the rear of your MH to see if it's leaning to the driver side and let them know. If it is they will recommend the new springs and the straighter filler neck fix. If it's not leaning then you'll only need the new filler neck with the rerouted filler hoses. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #33

Same issue with gas line

I can’t tell you how frustrated I am with my 2020 greyhawk 31f and not being able to fill my tank with gas. I’ve tried jacks, different gas stations and manipulating the pump handle. I guess I’m going to have to battle this one out with Jayco. Hoping they step up to the plate as it is clearly manufacture defect. With the filler opening being placed under the full slide they should have just placed it on the opposite side of the RV to get enough fall to the tank.
MyersfamRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #34

I posted with same problem here earlier. Definitely a design error on Jayco with the full slideout on the Ford chassis. Jayco had no fix for this problem and told my dealer to fix it themselves. I left mine at the dealer and said I wouldn't pick it up until it would fill up without the problem. About 10 weeks later they called and said it was ready. I was able to get a full tank down the street from dealer, so I thought it was fixed. Only thing dealer did was try to increase angle of the filler neck going into tank. On our last trip, to the Grand Canyon, I was able to fill it up without problems about half of the time. I if I can find a gas station that slopes away from the pump, it will take a full tank no problem
Jayco Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Bunkhouse View Post
I posted with same problem here earlier. Definitely a design error on Jayco with the full slideout on the Ford chassis. Jayco had no fix for this problem and told my dealer to fix it themselves. I left mine at the dealer and said I wouldn't pick it up until it would fill up without the problem. About 10 weeks later they called and said it was ready. I was able to get a full tank down the street from dealer, so I thought it was fixed. Only thing dealer did was try to increase angle of the filler neck going into tank. On our last trip, to the Grand Canyon, I was able to fill it up without problems about half of the time. I if I can find a gas station that slopes away from the pump, it will take a full tank no problem
We have 2020 27U and have troubles filling gas at times. Most of time, if can pull with the passenger side little lower than driver's side - able to manipulate handle and fill up without issues. occasionally I have to lift drivers side with levelers and fill up. I have looked at hose and vents and not able to find any kinks - just appears that tank is not low enough compared to fill area. bit of an issue - but have been able to work around.
RRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Dont you love it when a dealer says that and you know they are flat out lying.....
I think I figured that out.

It's that person who hasn't seen it before. And as noted with high turnover he probably hasn't seen it in the weeks he's been working there.

Give me the old guy whose been there done that.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersfamRV View Post
I can’t tell you how frustrated I am with my 2020 greyhawk 31f and not being able to fill my tank with gas. I’ve tried jacks, different gas stations and manipulating the pump handle. I guess I’m going to have to battle this one out with Jayco. Hoping they step up to the plate as it is clearly manufacture defect. With the filler opening being placed under the full slide they should have just placed it on the opposite side of the RV to get enough fall to the tank.
I understand your frustration. Have you tried having your dealer contact Temecula RV? Or you can have them contact Richardson's RV in Menifee, CA. Have them talk to Sandra. She was my service advisor and she will know exactly what needs to be done. She was in contact with Jayco the whole time. If I can help in anyway please let me know. We pay a lot of money for these things and this issue is unacceptable. We should not have to find a work around and just "deal with it"... Good luck!