Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

Cap separating from main "box".

I bought this coach used in October 2017 & I saw no obvious damages. CarFax says no accidents or incidents reported.
The first weekend of May I drove from Michigan to North Carolina for a Jeep event in Uwharrie. I had my Jeep inside my enclosed trailer.
Somewhere south of Winston-Salem on U.S. 52 I hit a transition "ramp" from freshly ground up pavement to old pavement. This transition was extremely rough. I was doing the construction speed limit of 55. Approximately 30 minutes later I stopped the rig so my girlfriend co go outside for a cigarette. At that time she noticed a trim piece pulling away from the side of the coach, just above the passenger door. 18" long or so, flapping in the wind.
I Gorilla taped it back in place. Then I noticed more apparent separation beginning. More tape until I could get back to Michigan.
At every stop for fuel, food, smoke breaks etc. I looked over the rig to ensure the damage wasn't getting worse. It seemed to be separating more and more.
We finally made it back home and then the Insurance Claim fiasco began. Bottom Line...Claim Denied.
What are my best options?

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5597 (Medium).JPG   IMG_5598 (Medium).JPG   IMG_5599 (Medium).JPG   IMG_5702 (Medium).JPG   IMG_5703 (Medium).JPG  

Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

Contact the JAYCO service center and send them pics. The repair will be on your dime since it's used coach.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #3

Went to Middlebury to get mine fixed. Factory service did a crappy job. Screws started backing out by the time I got to Georgia. Factory said this was a common problem. Took pictures and sent to Jayco and they said fix it and they would pay for it. Still waiting on the $540 check. Found a fiberglass place in Louisiana that fixed it right. Jayco didn’t use long enough screws both times!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

I just got off the phone w/ Jayco. The lady I spoke with took my pics out to the shop to ask what they thought. They said the screws likely have backed out so...

1: Remove trim
2: Screw metal rail, under trim, back in place. Use longer screw if needed.
3: Reinstall trim
4: Reseal trim using clear "Quad Sealant".
5: Drink beer...I added this!!!

Jayco does not think this is structural. I surely hope that is accurate.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #5

Hope Jayco is right and it's an easy fix.

Question...why are you towing a jeep wrangler in a enclosed trailer???

Jeeps are one of the best and easiest vehicles to tow 4 down.

I fiqured it might be that you do a lot of offroad stuff and are afraid of breaking something and not being able to tow 4 down home?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Hope Jayco is right and it's an easy fix.

Question...why are you towing a jeep wrangler in a enclosed trailer???

Jeeps are one of the best and easiest vehicles to tow 4 down.

I fiqured it might be that you do a lot of offroad stuff and are afraid of breaking something and not being able to tow 4 down home?
Thanks, I hope so too.

The reason the Jeep goes in the trailer is because of the reason you stated. Last trip out a broke an axle shaft and the bits tore up my ring & pinion. Trip before that I bent a lower control arm. I have a full repair shop in the trailer.

I don't mind the "pay to play", but I don't think the RV damage falls into that category.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
The reason the Jeep goes in the trailer is because of the reason you stated. Last trip out a broke an axle shaft and the bits tore up my ring & pinion. Trip before that I bent a lower control arm. I have a full repair shop in the trailer.
Same reason I’d rather trailer my Jeep....been there with broken parts.
Having the trailer made it super simple to get back home.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

When trailering, what vehicle tie offs do you use (if any)?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
2: Screw metal rail, under trim, back in place. Use longer screw if needed.
If it was mine I would look into going up one size too, not just longer. I would also add Quad Sealer to the threads to keep them from loosening up.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Certainly I would tie off on all 4 corners. I prefer to tie down to my D-rings. Others will tie to the axles. Use 4 separate straps & ratchets.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

You can buy the OSI QUAD sealant at Home Depot/Menards, I found Menards carries more colors.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
MD3

Quote:
Not that my way is the right way or the wrong way.... but it’s the way I do it...

I use straps over the tires (all 4) and two straps on the rear axle towards the back to some larger floor mount rings.. I got lucky and my trailer has e-track under the tires tied directly into the frame, so it’s easy to tie up and over each tire.
I don’t tie to the suspension because I don’t want it to bounce or tugging on the straps.
I tie the two to the rear axle holding back for extra security in case I have to do some emergency or hard braking. I don’t have to worry about acccelerating quick enough to throw the jeep out the back of the trailer, lol.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

Nobody we know...I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
No straps.jpg  
Old 05-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
We are in an open trailer...
5/8 chain from the trailer rear corners to the rear axle. (in case of emergency stop or collision)

2- 2" 5k Ratchet strap from frame rail to trailer D Ring in an X pattern on the rear.

2- 2" 5k Ratchet strap from front attachment point to trailer D Ring in an X pattern.

We have traveled over 7,000 miles with this configuration. We take about 12 minutes for one person to load/secure the Toyota now that we have lots of practice.
Attached Thumbnails
20180504_111319.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #15

Back to the original issue... front cap separation...

We bought a 2yr old 2015 37TS with 30k miles on it, and noticed a little separation after we pulled the unit into the driveway at home... and it got a bit worse within 30 days and a few hours of driving. We did purchase an after-market bumper-to-bumper warranty, so took it in and had it fixed quickly with no $'s to us.

The repair shop looked at it and said YIKES, that's going to be a huge job! But then called us 24 hours later to say it was "done"... so I guess it wasn't as big a deal as they thought (which would go with your instruction list from Jayco). The repair guy did say something about the screws missing the backer board, or some such. Makes me wonder how it lasted for 30k miles in the first place - especially being a Canadian unit... some of those far-North roads are not exactly "smooth"...

We've put another year and 5k miles on it without any more noticeable separation, so I'm hoping we got it all good and taken care of!

Hope your repair works well, too!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote