Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #21

I started with a dolly many years ago. It was a PIA so I sold it a year later. I finally broke down and bought a car specifically for flat towing (2013 Toyota Corolla S with a standard transmission) and would never go back to a dolly. Just an opinion from someone who's been there.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #22

I’ve never used a dolly but considered it. I like my little Honda being towed fourdown. One thing that’s not been mentioned yet is your tongue weight. In our Greyhawk (2016 29MV) we travel pretty heavy right at the max load so to have any more weight on the rear axle via the hitch is a nonstarter for us. Another reason to consider getting a vehicle that you can tow four down.
Jay Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #23

Tongue weight can be an issue, the RedHawk 25R I have is rated at 750 lbs. I was not happy with the handling of my rig while dolly towing so I added a set of rear firestone ride right air bags. I run them with 65-70lbs and can’t believe the difference in the ride and handling weather towing or not! Rig sits right now and braking is even. Also thinking of adding a track bar but it might be overkill.

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #24

I almost purchased a dolly but after research and talking to current users decided against it. I purchased a Blue Ox tow hitch instead. Concern about the dolly in addition to those already mentioned was storage at the camp site, Whichever way you decide to go check for used equipment. They are readily available
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #25

EZE Tow w Kia soul - very happy

I love my Soul. Not going to spend the money to convert to something that can be flat towed. The 15 min to load and 5 min to unload is about right. Also, I can two any other small car if a friend accompanies etc. one correction. The EZTow surge brake can be backed up. There is a brake release button. I know folks on the farm that can back a truck with three corn wagons. Just because it can be backed that does not mean I can actually do to though.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #26

We have a Master Tow with hydralic surge brakes and currently towing a Jeep,I like it for it's simplicity,no electric brake controller.Break controllers for flat towing can be expensive.Down side is you can't back up much,but backing up flat towing isn't any better.If you should change tow vehicles just drive it on and go....
Rhoads Lov'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #27

I had to sell my 2012 Camry hybrid because Toyota denied to maintain any warranty. I even went to USA Toyota over a 2 month period. They say you will void warranty if you tow. except on a full trailer. I bought a 2016 ford focus se which you can disconnect the auto trans in 2 seconds from the gear shift . Also added a bluetooth brake to the car tied to motorhome brakes. Have done over 5000 miles in 13 states NO problems. That was my solution. By the way since traveling have seen many toyotas flat towed.
Psamual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #28

Psamual,

What Bluetooth braking system do you have? I plan on switching to flat towing in a year or two and want to start researching.

JohnyNorthland
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #29

Braking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Psamual,

What Bluetooth braking system do you have? I plan on switching to flat towing in a year or two and want to start researching.

JohnyNorthland
Brake Buddy. Not Bluetooth though. Works fine. Bought used for $300
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #30

My Tow Dolly works very well

I did not have a vehicle I could flat tow so I invested in a Demco KarKaddy SS and it is great. My GreyHawk 31KS tows it very well and I have not had any problems.
-I agree there is about 15 min hookup time needed, but I carry a 4’x5’ blue tarp and 18”x36” pad to lay on to stay out of the dirt or wet grass and it is fine. The wife drives it on and I hook it up. I use a box in the toad to store gloves, lights, tarp etc.
-I agree the steering on a dolly is needed for it to track the RV correctly
-I would add you can only back up in a straight line for a short distance (5’-10’) before the car goes one direction and the dolly another, so you have
to plan on that as you navigate fuel and coffee stops
-Dropping the car before backing into a camp spot is never a problem, but a pull through is easier. You cannot see the unloaded dolly behind the RV as it is not wide enough. If you backup slowly and watch for the dolly in a mirror you can back it into a spot on the first try. Practice before you have an audience.
-I added rear lights as some states require them and they make sense. A simple splitter off the RV plug connects the Dolly and toad trunk lights so they all work and connect quickly.
-Get the spare tire and be sure your jack and lug wrenches will work if you have a flat
-I have Truck Systems Technologies TPMS sensors on the dolly and toad along with the RV and they have saved me from problems several times so I believe they are worth it
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0244 RV and Camry Great.jpg  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiG View Post
We have not towed a vehicle with our Greyhawk as we own a Highlander, which cannot be towed 4 wheels down.

I am thinking of getting a dolly to bring the Highlander along and have several questions:

I see some have brakes and some do not.

Are brakes needed?

Any tips from dolly users?

Brands to stay away from or prefered brands?

Sources for used dollies?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I will be selling my Acme dolly in March. Has the disc brakes, purchased Aug 2018 and used only twice. If you're interested, we can share info to start a private thread.

Thanks, Kim
greyhoundexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #32

Probably a not so bright question but here goes:
If you have auto levelers do you need to take the car off the dolly every time before you use the power leveler?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #33

I would think it would depend on how much the rear needs to come up off the leveling jack and your total tongue weight?

I have a pretty light car on my dolly, (Kia Soul),my total tongue weight combined is 380lbs. Without looking at the leveling Jack spec’s i think it could handle it. However, I don’t have the leveling system installed yet.

I do think that’s a great question because if am just stopping overnight on my travels I don’t want to pull the car off the dolly. Hopefully someone has experience with this and can give the correct advice.

I would call up equalizer leveling systems and ask them that question to be sure. I called them before installing my rear air ride system but They referred me to Firestone, the air bag manufacturer and they said it was fine to install and use leveling systems with the air bags. But I think equalizer would answer your question.

JohnyNorthland
Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #34

Dolly

Do you have to unload the car before leveling? We don’t if we are not planing on using the car but we won’t load or unload the car with the leveling jacks down ( unnecessary stress on the jacks possibility of bending them ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #35

Agreed with les7h Dont take the car off or load the car on the dolly while the jacks are down. When loading the car and setting it squarely against the dolly front rail of the dolly and coach move quite a bit. This would certainly put alot of lateral pressure of the Jack's. I level the rig all the time with the dolly on.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly