Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Call Ford and get the spec's on the CAT. Then call a muffler shop and see if they can source one and then have them install it. Have them weld it in rather than using clamps.
By me they use battery powered sawzall takes less time than unbolting
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #22

I am a program manager for a big cable company. Before covid, my last trip was out Fairfield, CA. The same thing happened there- someone cut the fence and took them off of 30 of our large bucket trucks, which are e550s. The year before someone had the battery taken out of a Prius. It's crazy.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgeo View Post
Our 2019 Greyhawk just had its catalytic converter stolen.
I'm auto mechanic ignorant and have two questions.
1. Is this something an idiot like me can replace?
2. Is there a means to limit the chances of future thefts?

Note: we park in our community's gated storage lot. The thiefs cut open the fencing and were able to get four catalytic converters from the lot.

Thanks for any insights!

Bill
You can get a cat that fits your pipes it will work
Old 06-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #24

When replacing the converter you will find that the connecting pipes will be shorter. When they cut out the converter they took part of the pipes with it. You will need pipe extenders or new pipes front and rear. Measure before you order.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #25

Well, I never thought it would happen to me, but it just did!!

I had my rig at a shop for service on the hydraulic jacks. Thieves got the cat while it was outside in their lot!!

I told the shop Wednesday that I was coming to pick up the rig Friday as I have a trip planned. And that I would bring it back after the trip so they could finish fixing the jacks. I went and started the rig and heard open exhaust, immediately cut it off and looked at the guy like "WTH did you DO to my camper??!!" He said "yeah, sounds like your missing some exhaust" ... YA THINK??!!

So I immediately thought about Cat theft from reading this thread and a news article about it earlier this year. Went over and scooted under the camper to find the cat and pipe missing from the front flange to the muffler clamp!!

You can imagine the "colorful" vocabulary that flew from my lips at this discovery!

Looks like they used wrenches, so I guess I should be thankful they didn't cut it out!!

Anyway, the guy at the shop thought I had done it because he knew I had been working on the rig. I said "you WATCHED me park it in your lot!! Did it sound like that when I parked it??!!" Even the GM asked if it could have been like that when I dropped it off. Like maybe it "fell out" on my way over? You're kidding right?! There's like 8 ft of exhaust and a catalytic converter missing!! I think SOMEONE would have noticed that! Like namely my wife who was driving right behind me??!!

It's been inside at their shop a couple days this week, and I told them it would have been nice if they had called and asked if I was having exhaust problems. They acted like they'd never heard of cat theft before. They don't work on chassis, only the "camper" part, but still!

Anyway, GM is getting it fixed today. Sounds like it's going to be aftermarket, which means there will be welding involved. Which means next time the tweakers take it, they'll have to cut it out, which is NOT good IMO. Anyway, hopefully I'll have it by the end of the day and we can still make our trip.

My storage lot has cameras and tall fences topped with barbed wire. That's one of the reasons we store our rig there. I will DEFINITELY be referring a guy I know who installs camera and security systems to the shop owner...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #26

Sorry to hear of your theft. There should be a requirement to take driver's license information from anyone attempting to earn cash with stolen cats at a recycling facility. That would help make them less attractive to steal.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #27

Make sure you make a police report to make sure you have insurance coverage. In most of the states you cannot sell a catalytic legally to a junk yard unless you are a known automotive company. Your police report may help catch the thief.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Well, I never thought it would happen to me, but it just did!!

I had my rig at a shop for service on the hydraulic jacks. Thieves got the cat while it was outside in their lot!!

I told the shop Wednesday that I was coming to pick up the rig Friday as I have a trip planned. And that I would bring it back after the trip so they could finish fixing the jacks. I went and started the rig and heard open exhaust, immediately cut it off and looked at the guy like "WTH did you DO to my camper??!!" He said "yeah, sounds like your missing some exhaust" ... YA THINK??!!

So I immediately thought about Cat theft from reading this thread and a news article about it earlier this year. Went over and scooted under the camper to find the cat and pipe missing from the front flange to the muffler clamp!!

You can imagine the "colorful" vocabulary that flew from my lips at this discovery!

Looks like they used wrenches, so I guess I should be thankful they didn't cut it out!!

Anyway, the guy at the shop thought I had done it because he knew I had been working on the rig. I said "you WATCHED me park it in your lot!! Did it sound like that when I parked it??!!" Even the GM asked if it could have been like that when I dropped it off. Like maybe it "fell out" on my way over? You're kidding right?! There's like 8 ft of exhaust and a catalytic converter missing!! I think SOMEONE would have noticed that! Like namely my wife who was driving right behind me??!!

It's been inside at their shop a couple days this week, and I told them it would have been nice if they had called and asked if I was having exhaust problems. They acted like they'd never heard of cat theft before. They don't work on chassis, only the "camper" part, but still!

Anyway, GM is getting it fixed today. Sounds like it's going to be aftermarket, which means there will be welding involved. Which means next time the tweakers take it, they'll have to cut it out, which is NOT good IMO. Anyway, hopefully I'll have it by the end of the day and we can still make our trip.

My storage lot has cameras and tall fences topped with barbed wire. That's one of the reasons we store our rig there. I will DEFINITELY be referring a guy I know who installs camera and security systems to the shop owner...
That sucks they should have replaced it with OEM. They are responsible for it in their care. Are they giving you new o2 sensors?
Old 08-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #29

Cat theft?

Wow, i did not realize thieves were back at cat converters. This is why i like that i keep my rig in my driveway under 24/7 sercurity monitoring, and i have been vigilant enough that most know better to stay away from my stuff or look down a barrel.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #30

try cement blocks

Our was cut and insurance replaced OEM. On recommendation from another owner, now have 4 cement blocks placed under the carriage and cameras. blocks make for a longer steal time for cameras to pick up and alert! Just don't forget to remove the cement blocks when you drive away!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #31

A local scrapper told me to spray the cat with orange or red paint...just a good stripe would do. No scrapper wants to handle a cat with paint on it since it's a clear signal that it's stolen property. From time to time you give it a freshen up with a new coat.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
A local scrapper told me to spray the cat with orange or red paint...just a good stripe would do. No scrapper wants to handle a cat with paint on it since it's a clear signal that it's stolen property. From time to time you give it a freshen up with a new coat.
Not a bad idea, I would also suggest to get the paint at the autoparts store and be sure to find the "High Temp" engine paint, otherwise I suspect regular paint would not do so well.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #33

Catalytic converter can reach Temps of 1600 degrees. What about letting air from the tires so they can't climb under and put a few blocks under the frame to keep the wheels from laying on the deflated tires. Or air bags that drop the frame to the ground.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #34

or how about a high voltage electric fence charger, one side connected to the metal frame of the RV and the other to the ground with a ground rod...
Old 06-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #35

Install a 12vdc motion detector under the vehicle that actuates a loud alarm. That would probably do the trick. They would be changing their underwear afterwards. You'd just have to disable it before you take it for a drive.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:16 AM   #36

Our local news featured an automotive repair shop that engraves catalytic converters on all vehicles that enter their shop as a public service to customers. They engrave the license plate number of the vehicle it's attached to.

I think everyone should crawl under their vehicles and do that, plus add your cell phone number.

It may still get stolen if the perp doesn't see the engraving but some shop buying them is bound to see it and may just end up calling you.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Read post #9.
Yeah read post #9 everyone has a gun to "protect" themselves.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgeo View Post
Our 2019 Greyhawk just had its catalytic converter stolen.
I'm auto mechanic ignorant and have two questions.
1. Is this something an idiot like me can replace?
2. Is there a means to limit the chances of future thefts?

Note: we park in our community's gated storage lot. The thiefs cut open the fencing and were able to get four catalytic converters from the lot.

Thanks for any insights!

Bill
Your comprehensive insurance should cover the replacement and installation,
less your deductible.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
you can weld it but they will just sawzall it off with a 20v reciprocating saw...
You're right I just bought a 60 volt saw and I think I could down a good size tree with it
Old 06-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #40

Straight pipe in place of the converter. Unless you need to pass a emissions regulation....then, you must pay the price. Newer converters flow extremely well, and I've never had a MAP or s MAF sensor throw a code just for replacing with straight pipe. YMMV
Erd04056 is offline   Reply With Quote