Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

Caught CareFree awning with a branch

Bonehead problem: Found someone had cut off the catalytic converter while street parked waiting for wash/wax man. After was/wax, extended awning to let it dry out, but then forgot I did that and backed the rig up 1 foot....awning caught in a pine branch and bent the bracket and extenders closest to door and now need to replace the side arms. Is this something for my dealer to repair, me for DIY or a mobile mechanic?
We did get the awning to roll up (very crooked) and wired it in place temporarily. I don't think the awning would take a long journey as is.. (catalytic converter replaced 6 blocks away!).
Old 02-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Bonehead problem: Found someone had cut off the catalytic converter while street parked waiting for wash/wax man. After was/wax, extended awning to let it dry out, but then forgot I did that and backed the rig up 1 foot....awning caught in a pine branch and bent the bracket and extenders closest to door and now need to replace the side arms. Is this something for my dealer to repair, me for DIY or a mobile mechanic?
We did get the awning to roll up (very crooked) and wired it in place temporarily. I don't think the awning would take a long journey as is.. (catalytic converter replaced 6 blocks away!).
My neighbor had a damaged Carefree and I found arm parts on eBay and he bought a new fabric from a local RV shop. My son helped out and we did the job without drama. Check out YouTube for some diy vids.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #3

I caught a overhanging limb with mine while rolled up and secured trying to make room for a vehicle heading towards me. I gave it to my insurance and in just 7 weeks it was returned to me all fixed.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:54 PM   #4

Just wanted to chime in and say you're not alone for whacking the awning. I did that on our first RV.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

We got the great idea to attach the dog line to the arm of the awning. It all was good till someone was walking by with their dog and our dog ran out to meet them. It bent the axle that it spins on. I was able to dismantle it and straighten it. I think the more complicated part is releasing the tension of the springs. Once you really take a look at how they work it is pretty straight forward. It helps to have another hand to help some. Youtube helps too.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care free awning, twisted support arms