Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #11

Glue is a curse word in the RV manufacturing industry

Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #12

Reminds me of those "seen on tv" electric fireplaces. You know the ones where the pitch is in some sort of Amish woodworking shop and in the background are Amish workers sanding and staining these cheap POS fireplaces with the real look electric fire that is "imported Asian technology" (IE - made in China")

Jayco hires an Amish workforce , has nothing to do with Amish Craftsmanship.

1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #13

Yep, the large trim on our 2015 Seneca main slide came loose. I replaced the staples with real nails. That trim would hurt someone if it fell in them.
While we are on the subject of workmanship, keep a eye on the cabinet doors, all my doors in the kitchen, and above the couch had to be replaced. The corners came apart!
The only good thing about all this is Jayco is very prompt in taking care of issues like this.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #14

I built cabinets for a couple of years when I was a young man. We used nails, glue, and then used clamps on all the joints. They weren't coming apart! Oh, I'm not Amish, I'm Okie!
I would like to say I've been to Pennsylvania, and seen all the Amish wood craftsmanship, they do first class work, and it is is beautiful!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #15

I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip out West and while on the road had one of the long horizontal upper trim boards come loose from the kitchen slide of my '14 TS. Never completely fell, but one more good bump and it probably would have. Thank goodness the wife was sitting back there and saw it hanging down.

It partially dislodged the large center trim piece, but it didn't fall. As others have said, originally just some air nailer finishing nails held it all together. No evidence of any glue or construction adhesive. Doomed to fail on rough roads! I put everything back with ring shank finishing nails, hopefully those keep things in place. Now that I am home I will do the other side too to prevent what seems to be a somewhat common "flaw" in the construction of our units.

Don't you wish we could have put our own units together from the ground up? I think it most cases the engineering is sound, it is just the execution on the shop floor where things seem to go wrong.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
Yep, the large trim on our 2015 Seneca main slide came loose. I replaced the staples with real nails. That trim would hurt someone if it fell in them.
While we are on the subject of workmanship, keep a eye on the cabinet doors, all my doors in the kitchen, and above the couch had to be replaced. The corners came apart!
The only good thing about all this is Jayco is very prompt in taking care of issues like this.
The corners came apart on my cabinet door below the rear tv. Jayco replaced under warranty.

Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote