Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #1

CB antenna

Hello All,
Any suggestions for a CB radio antenna mount on a Seneca 35GS?
Thanks
Capt. Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #2

I would just get a CB MIRROR MOUNT from AMAZON and mount a low profile CB antenna to one of your side mirrors... Your trailer is too high to put anything on the roof. Will drag the trees and things along the way...

Google image

We have CB in our truck and I mainly just turn the squelch all the way up and just listen for close-by truckers making their road hazard reports... The language is still very bad on the CB bands...

Can't recall ever talking to another RV camper over the CB... Not that popular anymore like it was back in the 60s and 70s... Everyone keeps in touch now via cell phones... I was an actual licensed CB Radio operator back in the day. Had a real license issued from FCC. Was KBX followed by four numbers - can't remember them anymore haha... maybe KBX5218

We do occasionally hear some campers at the campgrounds talking on the citizen band walkie talkie FRS, GMRS channels... You can get these from WALMART or AMAZON... Real popular in the Smoky Mtns towns Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge towns...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Keep in mind that you will need a "zero ground plane" antenna, if you mount it on a mirror, or anywhere that's not in the middle of a large grounded metal plate. (like a roof, for instance)

Not hard to get, just be sure you pick the right one. "Firestik" have some (they call them NGP, "no ground plane"), and they're readily available.
ZGP antennae mounted on, say, a mirror, can be a pain to tune, and will have a weirdly-distorted radiation pattern, so allow yourself plenty of time and patience. :-)

Have fun!

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

CB antenna

Thanks for the advice. I have a Firestik NGP antenna ordered from Amazon
Capt. Rich
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

Can't recall ever talking to another RV camper over the CB... Not that popular anymore like it was back in the 60s and 70s... Everyone keeps in touch now via cell phones... I was an actual licensed CB Radio operator back in the day. Had a real license issued from FCC. Was KBX followed by four numbers - can't remember them anymore haha... maybe KBX5218
oh my did that spark an old memory.... KOX3924
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

memory

Hello RayBraddy,
Retrace your steps. Good memory.
Capt. Rich
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rich View Post
Hello RayBraddy,
Retrace your steps. Good memory.
Capt. Rich
Capt Rich - I used to have make two or three trips a year driving between Phoenix Az and Wichita Falls TX back in the late 60s early 70s...

Would talk with other CB'ers coming and going the whole time day and night. Groups of us never knowing one or the other before would stop at Coffee stops together along the way. Sometimes we might be 20 strong haha... These were not Truckers mine you just CB'ers on the road. ALot of the roads were three lanes back then. Its was alot of fun back then. Thats when it would seemly take three days to cross Texas haha...

I guess all of that got robbed from us by the cellphones... I was also Ham Radio back in those days but we hams was not populated on the road like the CB'ers were.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Capt Rich - I used to have make two or three trips a year driving between Phoenix Az and Wichita Falls TX back in the late 60s early 70s...

Would talk with other CB'ers coming and going the whole time day and night. Groups of us never knowing one or the other before would stop at Coffee stops together along the way. Sometimes we might be 20 strong haha... These were not Truckers mine you just CB'ers on the road. ALot of the roads were three lanes back then. Its was alot of fun back then. Thats when it would seemly take three days to cross Texas haha...

I guess all of that got robbed from us by the cellphones... I was also Ham Radio back in those days but we hams was not populated on the road like the CB'ers were.

Roy Ken
Still have a handheld CB and a mag roof mount buried in a misc. stuff tote but haven't used it for a couple years. Guess I keep it because it doesn't take up much space and it might somehow be useful in an emergency on the road. Use to mount it for longer road trips to monitor road conditions and backlogs. I hate to get stuck in a jam without knowing what is causing the problem. Lately though it just stayed stowed away.

Today is far removed from the 70's and beyond. Radio traffic is just as vulgar as ever and maybe worse. Truckers seem less inclined to respond to civilian traffic so when I turn it on it is typically just to listen. If you can talk the lingo you may fool them into thinking you are a fellow trucker but don't bet on it.

We are taking a 4 Mhome carrivan on an Alaskan vacation later this summer. We are planning on using the FMS style radios for MH to MH communications. Got the kids [MHs 2. 3. and 4] a set of radios for Christmas. Now if the grands haven't played with them we might have a chance to keep the train together for 2 weeks. For that purpose think that style of radios are easier to use and you avoid the annoying cross talk.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

What was your handle back in the day...Claw Hammer back at Ya Good Buddy!!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

Ah, the memories!

My handle was "Wild Turkey".

Remember this:

https://youtu.be/RVh179oXFao

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #11

You got “Stringbean” here... I was into CB mania in the 1970s but gave it up years ago. When we recently bought our TV, the PO included the Radio Shack CB, antenna and a walkie. Haven’t used it yet but I know he did while pulling an Airstream all over the U.S. used to be certain channels monitored by the cops — is that still true?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #12

I was one of the "guinea pigs" for the UK's different-to-the-rest-of-the-world, FM only CB system. I may even have the paper licence form, somewhere

I brought my handle with me to the US.. "Magician"... or "Magic Ian"... geddit?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
You got “Stringbean” here... I was into CB mania in the 1970s but gave it up years ago. When we recently bought our TV, the PO included the Radio Shack CB, antenna and a walkie. Haven’t used it yet but I know he did while pulling an Airstream all over the U.S. used to be certain channels monitored by the cops — is that still true?

If I remember channel 9 was the emergency channel.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote