Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

CB Radio

I've been told that there is a CB antenna on the drivers side mirror. Has anyone found where the connection is inside the cab?
Toad- 2015 Ford Edge
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

I also herd the same rumor. I even asked a Frieghtliner service representive, he did not have a answer. I installed a cb antenna on the right side mirror.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

And I wish you guys would hurry up and find the box that separates the antenna input into radio and CB signals then post pictures of where you found it and what it looks like…so I don't have to do that. The Dynamax and Renegade show a different headliner with a CB installed overhead. Their M2 106's are shipped with the CB coax and 12V in the overhead.

The Freightliner manual has a little about it and it seems to be an option to have the wiring in the overhead but I think that multiplexer box is somewhere behind the dash panel.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

Info

I removed the small cubbies in the overhead console and took a camera shot. There are two cut outs in the metal behind the soft overhead console for radios, and two round speaker cutouts directly below the radios pointing down.

I did not see the multiplex box, but will try to slide my inspection camera further in for a better look.

I'm also a ham radio operator and am looking to install both a CB and my all mode amateur radio in the over head area.

Will probably be calling Freightliner Support on Monday.

Terry
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

My 2014 Seneca (2013 M2 chassis) has the cb antenna hookup under the dash on drivers side. Actually look more toward the front of cab as opposed to upward toward underside of dash.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #6

Terry, did you see any coax or 12V wiring up there? That would make the job a lot easier.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #7

Coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Terry, did you see any coax or 12V wiring up there? That would make the job a lot easier.
I saw some behind the accelerator pedal as Roger indicated. I've also located some large leads that are capped off in the bundle near that box and am wondering if they put it all on the together. I'll try the camera up top tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

I did not see any wiring that looked like coax in the overhead. I called Freightliner and they sent me some diagrams on the multiplexer, but it did not reference the CB radio at all. I also emailed Jayco and have not received an answer other than we are looking into the question.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Found part of it....

Got a tip from "TheTruckerReport.com" from a gentleman who ran some M2 Day Cab fleet. Pointed me to directly behind the AC controls on the dash. Found the end of coax, leading to the RAMI Systems Duplex Box. Small silver box located directly behind the T-Shift Handle in the dash. Has three leads plus power: two marked antenna, one to the indash radio. Have emailed RAMI for tech support. Its a start....

RAMI: The Antenna Professionals |

More tomorrow...perhaps.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Correct CB Antenna Connection

Spoke with Rami.com technical support. Confirmed that the the mini-UHF connector behind the AC controls is the connection for the CB Radio Antenna. I used a ham radio and tuned to CB channels...sounded just like CB static. I did hear great audio on 14,300 mhz ham bands. I've ordered a CB Radio and will post pictures as this progresses. I will also attempt to locate path for direct connection to batteries for the radios. I hope to install both my ham radio and a CB radio for the road trips.

Anyone with a lead on the overhead console inserts?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Coax Connector and Antenna Duplex Box Pictures

CB Antenna Coax located behind AC controls. Notice that you will need a mini-uhf to SO239 adapter to connect to your CB Radio. They used mini uhf for ease in passing cables through small spaces (I believe.).
CB Antenna Duplex box from RAMI.com located behind shifter (No real need to access, just get coax.)

Hope this helps,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7668.jpg   IMG_7669.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #12

Good job Terry. Please post pics of your final install. I'm also interested in installing a cb and ham rigs. 73, N5KEX
Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #13

Almost complete

The CB Radio install is nearing completion.
1. I've cut into the headliner, ran power and antenna to the overhead cubby, and placed radio with some edge trim.
2. Used blue tape and straight edge to mark for straight line.
3. Cut with razor knife.
4. Used auto trim to clean up.
5. Was not pleased but hope to have a prototype shelf tomorrow from a local precision manufacturing company. My template is pictured.
6. Will use Anderson Power Poles to supply power as shelf will hold ham radio on right side.
7. I plan to add antenna on right mirror bracket just as they did on left.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7833.jpg   IMG_7836.jpg   IMG_7844.jpg   IMG_7848.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Looking nice Terry. What material are you using for the shelf and how are you attaching it to the headliner? I thought you would be mounting it near the bottom of the dash. How did you run the power lead and antenna coax?

Watt
N5KEX
Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
Looking nice Terry. What material are you using for the shelf and how are you attaching it to the headliner? I thought you would be mounting it near the bottom of the dash. How did you run the power lead and antenna coax?

Watt
N5KEX
Watt -

Thanks...

We are prototyping the bracket out of aluminum. (My brother is a cad guy at the shop and the oil industry is slow right now.) It does not need to be weight bearing as there is a nice shelf in the overhead skeleton, complete with cutouts for a bottom facing speaker. In the opening around the skeleton are two threaded holes, probably for the factory overhead system. I plan to use those same holes with a nice matching torx head screw. I chose the overhead because I saw the other had done the same. As for power and antenna, I ran it up the A-pillar...lots of room. I have not made a final power connection, still looking for the clean power. I have noticed a lot of alternator whine and will use a filter.

Thanks for the observations. It really helps.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #16

Thanks Terry. Keep us informed, it looks like it will be a great installation.

Watt
Old 11-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #17

Curious how your HAM setup is going. I have been contemplating a 2m/70CM antenna on the passenger mirror, but not sure how well that would radiate, or how difficult it would be to run the coax. Tried tying into the factory mounted driver mirror since it brings in NOAA weather radio, but was not able to get much of anything. Have not put an analyzer on it yet however.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #18

Update:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7963.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	21027Thanks for asking. Ive been meaning to update, but it has taken longer than expected.

1. Shelf was completed, and provides a very solid mount for the CB. See picture.

2. I ran clean power from the large battery leads located at the under hood fuse blocks. There is a rubber panel in the firewall near the OEM coax pathway that was easy enough to safety route the leads through the firewall.

3. I completed duplicating the factory mirror antenna mount for the passenger side, adding an SO239 mount for the hame antenna. I am playing with an older Yaesu ATAS antenna, but have not completed the connections...ran out of daylight today.

Sorry for the sideway pictures, they are vertical in my directory....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7944.jpg   IMG_7974.jpg   IMG_7976.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #19

Nice, this may be easier than I thought! Does the factory mirror mount tube naturally pass into the door, or did you need to drill that as well? I have not taken anything apart yet

Is that a screwdriver antenna? Will be curious how well it performs on HF.

Thanks,
Bill (KG5IAK)
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #20

Yes, the tube is open all the way. Had to loosen the lower mirror bracket during the threading, but it went through very easy. Don't forget to add a ground wire, just as the factory did.

Yes, the Yaesu ATAS is a screwdriver that works with their FT-100 to FT-897 line. I have an older FT-100D.

Thanks!