Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #1

CDL License Required for driving 2015 Seneca 36FK?

Recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK. Is a CDL required to operate this vehicle?
Brian Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #2

Varies from state to state on Non-Commercial requirements. Most states don’t require a CDL as that is usually for commercial drivers but a lot of them do require an endorsement. This site lists state by state.

RV Driver's License Requirements

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 AM   #3

I hold a class A CDL. As long as you are driving a RV, no DOT guy will be stopping you even if your rig is over 26,000 lbs. If you go into a scale house, they may give you a ticket for bothering them :-)
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Cdl

In Texas if over 26,000 lbs you need a class B license ( non commercial ) but the same test and requirements will get a class A - so why not - but different states have different rules
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

What's the GVWR of your Seneca? According to this link (which lists licensing requirements for every state), if you're a resident of NV, and your Seneca's GVWR is higher than 26k (or towing a trailer/toad with your Seneca and your GCWR** is higher than 26k), then you'll need a NON-commercial Class A/B/C issued by the state of NV. This license is not a DOT issued CDL---totally different.

Bottom line, if you meet RV licensing requirements for your legal state of residence, then you're legal to drive in all 50 states. Or, put another way, RV licensing requirements for each state you drive through do not apply unless you're a legal resident of that state.

** The GVWR of your Seneca plus the GVWR of your trailer/toad equals your GCWR (for licensing purposes). These combined GVWR's should not exceed the GCWR of your Seneca.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeShipFloors.com View Post
I hold a class A CDL. As long as you are driving a RV, no DOT guy will be stopping you even if your rig is over 26,000 lbs. If you go into a scale house, they may give you a ticket for bothering them :-)

Oh really My friend sent me this on his trip to CA. He got pulled over for doing 58mph and CA is 55mph when towing. Officer proceeded to measure his length (he was 3" over) got lectured that when in CA you need a Class A CDL even though he is a WA resident and licensed in WA, which is impossible but he didnt argue with the officer. He just listened to the lecture and he got a warning.
Attached Thumbnails
ben.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

I live in Texas and have a Seneca HJ. I kept hearing that I needed a CDL, not because of weight but because I had air brakes. So I checked into it and found out I needed a Class B endorsement on my license because of the weight. The book I was given indicated that I needed to study most of the sections (like I was taking the CDL test) for the Class B test, but turned out I only needed to study the last chapter, like I was going to drive a bus or cab. I took the test because I was concerned that if I was involved in an accident, it could be said that I wasn't legally licensed to drive this RV. Not sure what impact that may have on my insurance again if I was in an accident. The state guy who performed the driving test said that he felt that there are many drivers out there without the proper licenses and that they were starting to crack down on that law. Just my thoughts.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Legal issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfraser01 View Post
I live in Texas and have a Seneca HJ. I kept hearing that I needed a CDL, not because of weight but because I had air brakes. So I checked into it and found out I needed a Class B endorsement on my license because of the weight. The book I was given indicated that I needed to study most of the sections (like I was taking the CDL test) for the Class B test, but turned out I only needed to study the last chapter, like I was going to drive a bus or cab. I took the test because I was concerned that if I was involved in an accident, it could be said that I wasn't legally licensed to drive this RV. Not sure what impact that may have on my insurance again if I was in an accident. The state guy who performed the driving test said that he felt that there are many drivers out there without the proper licenses and that they were starting to crack down on that law. Just my thoughts.
I think the legal liability issues are what concerns me most. I am going to look into this fall.

Regarding CA; they have bigger fish to fry than your friends RV. They need to let him alone and go after the real bad people.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #9

Thanks Everybody

Thanks to all responders. Some really good info. Unfortunately I'm from Nevada, one of about 5 states requiring a Class B, Non-Commercial license to operate my motor home. Even California is less restrictive, imagine that!
Brian Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #10

If you want one then take the test and write the check. Law enforcement has better things to do than harass folks driving Class A [or any other] RV's. Over time there have had to be a large number of accidents involving big buses, I personally witnessed 4 just in the last 3 years. I have yet to hear any feedback on the forum about liabiality problems on this issue. BUT like I said before if it makes any one feel better then by all means take the test.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote