Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #1

Ceiling Panel

I have a 2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31ss. I had some water damage in the bedroom that has been repaired. From the attached picture you can see that the ceiling panel has shrunk and separated. I am looking to find a replacement panel that can be used to repair that section. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
20191014_123259.jpg  
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #2

If it is only the shrinkage you're worried about just use a wider piece of flat moulding. Since the ceiling panel is on top of the wall it's going to be hard to replace anyway.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #3

Grumpy,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked on the internet for the panel and the flat moulding and have not been successful. The existing moulding has the configuration of an I beam with each of the cross members being the same length. I have attached a crude drawing of what I am looking for as far as moulding goes. The lower cross member is wider than the upper cross member.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Did you have any luck of a replacement panel? Recent leak has produced a couple of nickel-sized bumps in the ceiling panel. Haven't figured how to replace or "patch" the area, and didn't want to pull on molding after hearing of your discovery.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #5

I have about a 2" section like that between the shower skylight and the exterior wall. It is not overly noticeable, however I think I am going to try a small piece of eternabond tape to close the gap. It appears the eternabond tape color is close enough, and in my case unless you open the shower you don't really see that area. I really simply want to close the small gap that is there. I will do this soon and take some before and after pictures. Having said that, I may would do the same in the bedroom to close up the open gap, certainly wouldn't look any worse than the gap does... imo. ~CA
Old 02-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

My before picture, not sure when I will try the tape, maybe this week. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
shower.jpeg  
Old 02-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #7

Project was put on hold. After reading Craigav post I am following to see his success.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfkurtz View Post
Project was put on hold. After reading Craigav post I am following to see his success.
I had a chance to add the eternabond tape today and the results were good to ok.

Here are my points to share, the tape is a shade whiter but not by a whole lot. I had a short second thought which was to only tape the trim piece and the section that pulled away (instead of going over both sections either side of the trim), however once this tape stuck, it was not possible to remove it. If I was going to do the bedroom ceiling I would probably consider using 2" tape with one side on the molding and the other covering the ceiling area that pulled away. Also, I have some white gorilla tape that I had considered using, but I didn't go down that route as I wanted something more permanent, with that said, for a larger area I may would use white gorilla tape first, see how you like that and then consider the eternabond. Once you go with eternabond, you don't go back... in other words if you tried gorilla tape first I suspect you could easily enough remove it, not so with the eternabond. That is why I would only allow the eternabond to touch the trim and the section that pulled away.

Another thought to share, I plan to keep mine for quite a while so I am not overly concerned with perfect looks, I think from a few feet away it looks pretty good. Also, I had sealed the skylight where it met the roof with dicor before the leak occurred, but what leaked was a spider web series of cracks that formed in the rooftop skylight plastic itself. Instead of replacing the skylight, I used white RV roof coating (I will have to check which brand if you would like to know), and coated the exterior of the skylight with 3 thick coats which appears to be a great fix instead of replacing the skylight and it is holding up well and the coating cut down on the light passing through but not 100%, and the heat (I did this last summer) was noticeably lower when placing my hand under the skylight after coating it.

All in all, the biggest warning I would have is that if you use eternabond and you accidentally stick it where you should not have, then I doubt you will be able to correct that. You probably should have two people, one length of tape (maybe sections) and be very careful that you place it exactly where you want it the first time.

Final thought for now and a rehash of what I was typing earlier, if my issue was in the bedroom like yours is, I think I would go with the gorilla white tape first, then consider the eternabond later, that way if you really didn't like the look you could remove the tape, and who knows, the gorilla tape may look just as good and stay in place just as long. Keep in mind that no one is likely going to be looking at it close up, and most people never look up anyway.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions.

~CA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7058.jpg   IMG_7063.jpg   IMG_7064.jpg   IMG_7066.jpg   IMG_7055a.JPG