Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

Ceiling stains from my AC- help please

I have a 2004 jayco greyhawk class C and a Coleman air conditioning unit on the ceiling. I'm constantly dealing with black streaks coming from the AC unit. They're difficult to get rid of and they keep coming back. I wish I knew what was causing it so I could remedy the situation for good. I do keep the inside unit filters clean.
Attached Thumbnails
15965834999353787977024590948751.jpg   15965835489342470698807459638025.jpg  
Love vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #2

Is this from the unit running or when it’s raining?

Raining: there’s a gasket that’s used to seal the outside portion of the unit against the roof. The gasket, if original, probably needs to be replaced. Plenty of videos on YouTube regarding replacement. $15/ gasket, 1-2 hours, 10-25 swear words.

Running.

I’d start running the unit for a while, go on roof remove outside cover and look for signs of condensation and make sure the fan is running and not just spinning haphazardly on the shaft. There are set screws on the shaft that hold the fan blades on the shaft. If the fan isn’t spinning full speed it won’t help with the drying effects.
Now, shut off, remove the inside cover and look for condensation or signs of it.

Good luck
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

There is also a good video of making sure the intake and exhaust of the unit are separated... something to check It has to be getting dirty air from somewhere...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

The filters are very inefficient so you will circulate some dust. The cloth ceiling will attract anything that the filter misses.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

Thank you Colorado and Curver900. I'll check those items but I've had the new air conditioning unit installed on the roof recently, so you think they'd replace the seal when they did that. But you never know.
Love vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling stains, mold