Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #1

Changing inverter circuit

I have a 2019 Greyhawk 30x. I have 1000 watt psw inverter that services outlets for the tv and bedroom. I want to install a small residential fridge that requires about 100 watts. I would like to “swap” circuits. I want the fridge to be on the inverter circuit, don’t need the inverter for the tv. We don’t dry camp. This unit also the factory installed energy management system for the 2 ac units on 30 amp service.

What would be the recommendation for having the fridge on the inverter circuit?

Thanks
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

You'd install the fridge and install a receptacle box right near it and then run the wiring to the inverter. This is assuming the inverter only runs one breaker.

Where are you putting the fridge?
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
You'd install the fridge and install a receptacle box right near it and then run the wiring to the inverter. This is assuming the inverter only runs one breaker.

Where are you putting the fridge?
Yes that was option A. I was also considering using the current plug and make some wiring changes at circuit panel. But was not sure if implications of doing that.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

I'm not sure what you mean by using current plug.

You'll have two breakers on the converter. One will go to your inverter, the other will go to the rest of the coach outlets.

I'm not sure if you are talking about adding a residential fridge in place of the coach fridge or adding an additional fridge on top of the one that's already there. I say that because you mentioned swapping circuits. Typically the converter breaker panel is full.

To "swap" them at the converter you are going to have to buy a split breaker that has 2 on 1 breaker, pull the wiring from the inverter and put it into the new split breaker and then run the main power out to the inverter on the other side of the new breaker. Then you'd wire the new outlet.

The only other way to swap them is pulling the other outlet wiring from the converter and swapping between the inverter and the converter. Then the res of the other outlets will be powered up if that outlet is more convenient for installing a fridge.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #5

The plan is to replace the norcold n8x with a residential fridge.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkids View Post
Yes that was option A. I was also considering using the current plug and make some wiring changes at circuit panel. But was not sure if implications of doing that.

Does the inverter wire head back into the Converter's circuit panel? I don't know but I had just assumed the wire run coming out of the inverter went right to the outlet.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #7

I am not sure. The unit is at the storage location.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #8

The inverter "out" wire should go right to the outlet. The inverter "in" wire comes from the converter/charger on a breaker.