Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Sam

Changing the fuel filters on a 2014 Seneca

I am going to change both the fuel/water separator filter (Alliance, ABP N122-R50550) and fuel filter (Frieghtliner, FF63009). Is there any thing I should be specifically aware of? I have change diesel fuel filter in my Dodge trucks over the years, however they were considerably different than these. I know not to over tighten to prevent braking is important. The Alliance filter caused my biggest concern.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I am going to change both the fuel/water separator filter (Alliance, ABP N122-R50550) and fuel filter (Frieghtliner, FF63009). Is there any thing I should be specifically aware of? I have change diesel fuel filter in my Dodge trucks over the years, however they were considerably different than these. I know not to over tighten to prevent braking is important. The Alliance filter caused my biggest concern.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Sam
Done mine several times without incident.

For the primary (Alliance) I first disconnect the small wiring connector for the water sensor. Then I get a 5-gallon bucket underneath the assembly and then open the drain valve. Let it go a while until the filter empties as much as it will. Then I unscrew the filter element from the metal assembly (with the bottom bowl still attached), being prepared for the additional fuel that will inevitably spill once it comes loose. You may need a strap wrench to break it loose initially.

Once off and drained of what fuel remains I take the old filter and bowl to the bench to remove the bowl. It usually comes off fairly easily, it's plastic so don't apply too much pressure! Clean up the bowl, there is usually some sediment laying in the bottom and coating the inside.

Once bowl cleaned you lubricate the new bowl gasket (supplied with the new filter) with clean diesel fuel and reinstall the bowl to your new filter cartridge. Once the bowl is tightened snugly on the new cartridge take it back to the truck. Make sure the drain valve is closed. I fill it almost full with fresh, clean diesel to reduce the amount of pumping necessary to prime the system afterwards. Then make sure the top gasket is lubed with clean diesel and seated in the top of the cartridge. Thread it onto the mount carefully, you don't want it cross-threaded. Once the cartridge gasket contacts the face of the mount, tighten the cartridge/bowl assembly 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more to snug it up. Don't deform it!

Then move to the secondary, engine-mounted filter. Always replace both when you do. The secondary filter has a hex on the bottom to allow you to unscrew. Also be prepared to lose a bit of fuel when it comes off. The new Cummins filter has instructions with it that tell you how and where to fill it with clean fuel before installation. You reinstall it and snug it down. It is plastic, so don't lean on it too much or it will break! Reconnect the water sensor wire connector.

Then you operate the small priming pump to fill the system. Pump it until you feel strong resistance and can't push it anymore. You will know! Then fire it up and carefully check for leaks. It may take a little longer to start for a few startups, but if it persists you may be sucking air and will need to go over everything.

I use a Wix replacement, easier to find than the Alliance! It is WF10012. The secondary is a Fleetguard (Cummins), I have not seen an equivalent replacement from anyone else.

The pictures show my spare, I always carry both filters in case I ever get a lousy load of fuel. The one picture shows the instructions on the filter, the other shows the new bowl gasket, and the last shows a top view with its gasket to the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
20180323_163634_resized.jpg   20180323_163644_resized.jpg   20180323_163650_resized.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Sam

thanks for the reply

Thanks Rob for the detailed instructions. I am going to change the filters tomorrow and your instructions will make it easy.

Much appreciated, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Yup me too I will have a set and instructions when I head to Middlebury in April
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

Just a couple more tidbits. For the hex on the bottom of the FF63009 secondary filter I use a 1" 6-point socket, it might technically be metric but my socket fits it very snugly. No danger of rounding it off.

Also attached a picture of the rubber strap wrench I carry to break loose the primary cartridge filter from its mount. I believe it came from Home Depot a number of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
20180326_132418.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote