Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

Changing the oil question

Ok I was hoping to put more than 1000 miles on my Greyhawk. Unfortunately I have to store it because of unexpected heart surgery. Not sure I will be able to change the oil in it before I store it shortly. Will I need to change it in the spring or not? I will put a full tank of gas and stabilizer in it for sure. Thanks for any input.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

I would change it since it will be sitting for quite some time just for piece of mind.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

You should change the oil every 6 months no matter how much the engine has been used.

If you can, I would fill the tank with ethanol free gas. It will store long term better than standard pump gas, even with stable.

Remember your generator. They are finicky, you should run it every month for an hour or so. They tend to have carb problems if they are not exercised often. If you have ethanol free gas, it should be more forgiving.

Hope you feel better soon!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You should change the oil every 6 months no matter how much the engine has been used.

That seems to be the best advice, even for synthetics.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Oil has gotten much better than in the past. If you have full synthetic oil the old every 6 months rule can be stretched. The best thing is to make sure you run the engine full hot to boil off any water in the oil before storage.

If you have to let it sit for a few months make sure your tank is near full and use a good fuel stabilizer. On the generator make sure you exercise it on a regular basis and have treated gas running through it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
CAG

6 months is too often considering today’s oil and engines but what does you manual say?

If you’re going to leave it sitting some for a few months I would change the oil.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Oil has gotten much better than in the past. If you have full synthetic oil the old every 6 months rule can be stretched. The best thing is to make sure you run the engine full hot to boil off any water in the oil before storage.

If you have to let it sit for a few months make sure your tank is near full and use a good fuel stabilizer. On the generator make sure you exercise it on a regular basis and have treated gas running through it.
This is best advice I see in this thread regarding your question. I have been through the same health issue. Have someone run that generator once a month for an hour under a load like your ac. First priority is take care of yourself. That MH will be there when you have recovered. Best wishes.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #8

You be O.K.. The oil does not age quicker because you store it in the engine. Unless youhave not been putting lot’s off Miles on it. Good luck with the surgery.
Rolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #9
Site Team

When I did a lot of wrenching, both gas and diesels, I had the opportunity to have quite a few oil analysis's and engine bearing reports performed. The short list came back to a few constants.

Oil begins to oxidize as soon as you open the container, and continues inside the engine. That's why it's good to have the oil changed at least twice a year if you don't reach the recommended mileage. Once a year is OK, if your trips are at least 18 to 20 miles at highway speeds, or close to it, to burn off any condensation that's collected in engine. AND you use synthetic oil. It's good oil.

The combustion process produces acids that transfer to the oil supply. If at all possible, it's best to change it before storing it. I know you probably didn't want to hear that.

Never start an engine once a month just to "exercise" it or charge the battery. Don't start it unless you plan drive it to operating temperature. I'm not referring to generators, just vehicle engines here.

And the manufacturers manual was written for the average driver, not the less frequent users. There's many more average users than not.

20 years ago, I used to religiously change my oil in my vehicles every 2000 miles. In 2013, my dealer strongly advised me to wait until 5000 miles. I drove about 20,000 miles a year, 26 miles one way to work. Now that I'm retired and not driving those miles or distances, I'm back to about 3,000 miles per change, with my dealers blessing. I may hit 8000 miles a year...maybe. Short distances, turbos, using semi-synthetic oil. Just what I prefer to do. Makes me sleep better at night I guess.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #10

I don't own a motorhome but in my personal vehicles I use only full synthetic oil and still change it every 5,000 miles. I look at it as cheap insurance. I also cut in half the recommended intervals of fluid changes on transmission, transfer case and differentials on my tow vehicles.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

The owner's manual has specific provisions for "long-term" storage procedures (defined as more than 30 days).

One of the first things listed in there is to change the oil before you store it.

It also recommends that you run the engine every 15 days for at least 15 minutes at "fast idle" with climate controls set to "defrost" until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

It also recommends that you shift through all the gears while the engine is running during that 15 minute run time, and change the oil AGAIN before it is placed back in service.

Reference starting on Pg 165 of my Ford owner's manual under "Vehicle Storage".

Personally, I will change the oil before it goes into storage and store it with a full tank of treated fuel that has been run through the generator (I don't have readily available access to ethanol free fuel). I try to get over to storage once a month to run the generator and the motor, but it doesn't always happen.

FWIW, running the generator once a month under load also takes care of the windings, brushes, and slip rings in the generator part of the unit. It's not just to keep the carb clean. I've never had any problems with the motor, but my brushes and/or slip rings have gone bad or need service. My genny's clock is at less than 300 hours. Motor runs like a top, but won't make a charge.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote