Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Changing to lipo4. Anything I am missing?

I am adding two lion 105 AH Lipo4 batteries to my 2020 Greyhawk 30x. I have a Renogy 30 amp DC to DC charger/ mppt solar controller on order (have 300 watts solar currently). I will be adding two DC buss bars to get rid of multiple connections at batteries. Most likely be relocating Batteries to inside the coach to protect from freezing and weather. It is my understanding that the existing oem converter is capable of charging Lithium batteries although I can’t seem to find the thread that I read that in. Do any of you know what is required to change converter settings to lithium? Am I missing anything in my thought process? Any additional items that I need for successful install? Thank you.
Dhardy193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

Check and see if your onboard converter (part of your power center) has the built-in lithium selector switch. Here is a document from Progressive Dynamics that shows the switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium-Switch-Instructions-PD4000-PD4500.pdf (2.19 MB, 66 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #3

That was the document I was searching for. Thank you.
Dhardy193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Check and see if your onboard converter (part of your power center) has the built-in lithium selector switch. Here is a document from Progressive Dynamics that shows the switch.
Great info?

So am I correct the 2019 V10 alternator will NOT charge the lifepo coach battery?

I keep seeing a DC-DC charger is needed? Where does that get installed at if it is needed?
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Great info?

So am I correct the 2019 V10 alternator will NOT charge the lifepo coach battery?

I keep seeing a DC-DC charger is needed? Where does that get installed at if it is needed?
The stock alternator will charge it but possibly not to 100% and there is a concern about overworking your chassis alternator if your LiFePO4 batteries are quite discharged. You can throw a lot of current at lithium batteries, so much that it can overwork your alternator.

On my Seneca we have what is called a Battery Isolation Manager (BIM). It is the link between our chassis batteries and our house batteries and allows the chassis alternator to charge the house batteries while driving. Likewise, the BIM allows the chassis batteries to be charged from the converter when parked and plugged in. And the BIM also functions as the emergency start system allowing both battery sets to connect when you push the button under the dash.

My BIM is manufactured by Precision Circuits and when I switched to my LiFePO4 batteries I replaced that original BIM with that company's Lithium-compatible BIM. That BIM limits what charge the alternator can send the batteries thereby protecting the alternator.

My last Ford E-450-based Class C (2006) did not have a sophisticated BIM, it merely had a solenoid that tied the batteries together when the engine was running. I don't know if Jayco used a Precision Circuits BIM or not on your rig. If they did, using the lithium version would likely serve your needs for charging while driving.

Here is a link to the lithium BIM.
https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...thium-battery/
Old 05-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
The stock alternator will charge it but possibly not to 100% and there is a concern about overworking your chassis alternator if your LiFePO4 batteries are quite discharged. You can throw a lot of current at lithium batteries, so much that it can overwork your alternator.

On my Seneca we have what is called a Battery Isolation Manager (BIM). It is the link between our chassis batteries and our house batteries and allows the chassis alternator to charge the house batteries while driving. Likewise, the BIM allows the chassis batteries to be charged from the converter when parked and plugged in. And the BIM also functions as the emergency start system allowing both battery sets to connect when you push the button under the dash.

My BIM is manufactured by Precision Circuits and when I switched to my LiFePO4 batteries I replaced that original BIM with that company's Lithium-compatible BIM. That BIM limits what charge the alternator can send the batteries thereby protecting the alternator.

My last Ford E-450-based Class C (2006) did not have a sophisticated BIM, it merely had a solenoid that tied the batteries together when the engine was running. I don't know if Jayco used a Precision Circuits BIM or not on your rig. If they did, using the lithium version would likely serve your needs for charging while driving.

Here is a link to the lithium BIM.
https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...thium-battery/

More great Info.

Would the BIM be near the house battery...or the solenoid under the truck Hood?
Old 05-16-2022, 10:40 AM   #7

What converter do you have? If it's Progressive Dynamics and doesn't have the lithium switch, you can probably add one of these Charge Wizard Remote pendants and it will work fine. You just have to choose the charging mode (e.g. boost, float) manually.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HS0PAI/
Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #8

It's the pg4060, and says it has the lithium switch, I haven't opened it up yet though..but it should
Old 05-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
More great Info.

Would the BIM be near the house battery...or the solenoid under the truck Hood?
On my Seneca it is near my house batteries, but on a Greyhawk I cannot say. If it only uses the solenoid (like my former Chateau) you MIGHT be able to substitute a lithium BIM but I am just theorizing.

If you make a request Jayco will send you prints of your electrical system. Tell them you need the coach 12-volt drawings and that will likely tell you what you have. They need your VIN to get you the right diagrams.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
On my Seneca it is near my house batteries, but on a Greyhawk I cannot say. If it only uses the solenoid (like my former Chateau) you MIGHT be able to substitute a lithium BIM but I am just theorizing.

If you make a request Jayco will send you prints of your electrical system. Tell them you need the coach 12-volt drawings and that will likely tell you what you have. They need your VIN to get you the right diagrams.
Ya ill email them..
Not near the battery, so e say where shore power connects...nope

So I'll try Jayco
Old 05-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #11

Looks like mine dosent have a BIM...

Would that be because of no inverter?

So, what's the option now?
Add one...and where?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Looks like mine dosent have a BIM...

Would that be because of no inverter?

So, what's the option now?
Add one...and where?
Does your rig have the emergency start button under the dashboard? If so, it likely just operates a solenoid that closes when your rig is running so the alternator can charge your house batteries as you drive as well as serving as an emergency start tie in.

If it does have that solenoid it MAY be able to be replaced by a lithium BIM. The connections it needs to work are to the two big battery cables to the different batteries (of course), an ignition-switched positive connection, a ground (easy), and the wire from the dash emergency start switch. With the wiring diagram for the BIM on the Precision Circuits website you might be able to substitute a BIM for the simple solenoid if indeed you have that type of system in your Greyhawk.

On my former Class C the solenoid was very obvious under the hood. And when I would depress the emergency start button it would "clunk" making easy to identify. And I was able to see easily that one of the battery cables leading to it connected directly to the chassis (Ford) battery and the other to my house batteries. Perhaps yours is similar.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #13

I do have the emergency button.

I'll look into it more..and see the solenoid under the hood...so that could work out
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Great info?

The Lithium DC - DC charger should be installed close to the RV/House battery. The purpose is to use a feed from the vehicle alternator and convert to 14.4 to charge the Lithium battery.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #15

Charger converter

I have a 2016 jayco 34RSBS TT would like to switch battery to lithium. I cannot find the charger converter, can anyone tell me where it is located?
Thanks
stevetrammell@bellsouth.net
stevetrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrammell View Post
I have a 2016 jayco 34RSBS TT would like to switch battery to lithium. I cannot find the charger converter, can anyone tell me where it is located?
Thanks
stevetrammell@bellsouth.net
Likely the bottom section of your power panel where your circuit breakers and fuses are located.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #17

I actually pulled the breaker panel out, maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. I just want to change out the lead acid battery with a lifpo4 lithium. I think that I need to replace the charger converter is why I am trying to find it.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
I actually pulled the breaker panel out, maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. I just want to change out the lead acid battery with a lifpo4 lithium. I think that I need to replace the charger converter is why I am trying to find it.
Thanks for the help
Does your power center look like mine? If so, the converter is in the bottom but is removeable and can be replaced with a Lithium-compatible unit. You don't disturb all the fuses and breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
20220618_185023.jpg  
Old 06-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #19

Not exactly, just has a circuit board in bottom. I haven’t seen what I think would be a converter charger
Old 06-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Not exactly, just has a circuit board in bottom. I haven’t seen what I think would be a converter charger
Do you have the brand and model number of your power panel? Some do use an external converter.