Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yes now I understand the electrical design on your particular model is proper. Even on a RAM with a battery a couple years old after 3 weeks of parasitic drain needs help. During the winter I keep a batt. maintainer on the RAM battery. My TT is always on shore power because the progressive converter has a charge wizard for maintenance.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #22

Attached is the information on the isolation solenoid used in the 2018 Seneca. Based on the drawing from 2013 that I have this appears to be the same unit. Basically this explains that if one battery is being charged it will connect the circuit. Once a battery is fully charged it will open the circuit and then reconnect if one of the batteries drops a certain percentage. That is why sometimes you will not see the voltage on the chassis unit it drops far enough for the system to kick on. The system uses either the converter when hooked to power or generator and the engine while under way. If there are two source the solenoid is dropped and each charges independent of each other. At least this is what it appears to be to me and I have been know to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #23

Nice diagram. This is true for the Seneca line. I have a 15 Greyhawk 31FS. I have not been able to locate a BIM. When the engine is running the chassis battery is 14.4 volts and the coach battery is 12v or less. Indicating that either the BIM is malfunctioning or my unit did not come with that option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #24

After all that I read in the manual that the circuit is broken when the key is shut off so it get more confusing. The model I sent a photo of is not the exact unit, these are greater amp units so perhaps they are not exactly the same

Old 09-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #25

This is the unit. So it might be the same thing. I got confused in that the drawing says 100 amp but the information from precision say250 and 160 size units. Okay I am going to shut up now

Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #26

I think the greyhawk does this through the continuous duty solenoid under the hood. Not sure how it activates other than when you push the AUX start switch.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #27

Probably an inline fuse hiding somewhere.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
How do you know that you are charging the chassis battery on 110? Is there a way for me to verify if mine is doing the same?

Thanks

I know I said I was done but I had to prove to myself that this in fact worked and that the shore power charges the chassis battery.

I checked voltage at both terminals on the Isolation solenoid. House was 13.6 chassis was 12.8. I then turned on the headlights and put the volt meter on the chassis terminal. I watched the voltage drop until it reached 12.4 and the solenoid operated and both sides then read 12.45. Then slowly increased. There is a good trouble shooting and operational description on the precision circuits web page.