Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

Charging coach batteries with engine.

Ok so I do too much thinking while driving back from Ak. Not much traffic to contend with. 2014 Seneca 37TS. 4-6 volt t 105 Batts, 560 watts of solar. Been cloudy and rainy so not enough solar to keep up with inverter to run freezer. Sometimes my monitor will show Batts being charged with engine running, usually shortly after starting engine, chassis Batts being topped off? If I push the emergency start button monitor shows 40+ amps going to coach batts. OK if engine charges coach batteries how does it know charging profile for coach deep cycle batteries? How does it work charging starting batteries and deep cycle batteries if they are tied together by a switch someway.
I know I can and do run generator to charge batteries or run freezer when necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

It doesn't. Whatever your alternator makes will go to service load, whatever is left will charge batts
Old 08-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Charging coach batteries with engine

Ok I'm confused, I am a new owner of a 2018 Seneca HJ. Running the engine the voltage reading is 14 volts on the engine display. The Inverter monitor reads 12.7 volts. With the Gen. running or shore power connected the inverter displays 13.2 volts. I have never seen the inverter display that shows the batteries being charged while running. I started looking at the batteries and found 4 batteries 12 volt wired in parallel in the pull out battery tray. I assume these are the house (coach) batteries. Is there chassis batteries some where I can't see? I was told under the steps but the fuel is there. If I'm right and only have 4 batteries than my aux start switch is useless.
We do a lot of dry camping so I added 400 watts of solar power and I used the space along side the battery tray to add 2 more batteries. I wonder this is just another undocumented feature.
I requested a wiring diagram from Jayco and it was drawn in 2013. Has there been a change and they don't know it or am I just stupid?
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

In the driver's door area with the cab door open you should see a removable panel. It comes off with three screws. Behind that panel you should be able to see the two Group 31 chassis batteries. They are indeed inboard of the left fuel tank, under the cab floor below the driver's seat. Will likely be a bear to get out when they need replaced.

If a picture would help I can send one later, on the way to the White Mountains of New Hampshire as we chat. Finishing lunch in a rest area!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Boy do I feel stupid!! I logged on to say I FOUND THEM AND READ YOUR REPLY. You guys on this forum are the greatest. Thanks so much.
Robber you have a safe trip.
Oh by the way I found the batties while taping up my mirrors.
Glenn Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote