Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Charging System

Our 2018 Seneca has suddenly has a charging issue. When plugged in to shore power or when the generator is running it no longer charges the starting batteries. Also when the engine is running it no longer charges the coach batteries. I am assuming it is the one problem but not sure what it is. We are 6 hours away from the nearest dealer so iys not an easy trip to the dealer to have it diagnost. Any ideas.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

There is a relay that connects the batteries together. Older rigs had a simple relay/solenoid that energized with the ignition switch. It would allow coach batteries to be charged from the alternator.

Apparently many newer rigs come with a special bi-directional smart relay that allows charging in both directions. It senses battery voltage and charges the starting battery until certain conditions.

As I have the old style I can not offer troubleshooting tips for the bi-directional version. But that is where your problem is. Best guess is that it is mounted under the hood probably up high against the back.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #3

Thank You

I will see what I can find Jim thank you
Old 09-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

If yours is the m2 the isolation module is located in the battery bay. I will see if I can grab a photo of it tomorrow and post it then.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

Thank You

Awesome thank you
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

Also might check the Circuit Breaker that is on top of the chassis batteries. These are the batteries that Start the Freightliner. Behind the panel right below the door opening on the drivers side. There are three breakers.. two small units and a larger one (the one to check - it has a small handle that pops out on the side, not very visible from the opening.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

What was the state of charge of the batteries, were they discharging or <12v?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

Discharging

The motor home batteries will discharge if the unit is not plugged in or the generator is not running. We discover the problem on our way home from a weekend trip when after stopping the steps would not retract due to low voltage. The main breaker on our generator had failed so we had no generator power. We had to disconnect the steps and retract them manually. As soon as we got home and plugged the unit in to power the steps and levelers worked.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #9

Sorry did not get a chance to take a photo of the actual unit but this is a photo from the web. Goggle precision circuits isolation module. I have tried to attach the trouble shooting guide but not sure if it will come through. If not just goggle precision circuits battery isolation module and click on the one pictured then you can locate the troubleshooting manual. As slopoke said check the chassis battery first.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200929-230957_Chrome.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	64112Battery-Isolation-Manager-Trouble-Shooting (2).pdf
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #10

Thank You

Thank you so much for the information
Old 10-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information it turned out to be a relay on the chassis batteries
Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Thanks for all the information it turned out to be a relay on the chassis batteries
Can you be more specific on which one? Where is it located?

Old 10-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #13

It was on the top of the batteries in the battery compartment under the driver side cap steps
Old 10-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
It was on the top of the batteries in the battery compartment under the driver side cap steps
If it was this? This is a 100A Circuit Breaker that is in-line with the "Battery Isolation Module" (BIM) that is controlled by battery voltages and can be engaged by the white switch on the dash. If your Senecs sits for a while and your Chassis batteries are discharged, you will have a tough time starting.

There are also cases where the BIM switch on the dash is pushed and the house batteries vs chassis batteries are going to draw more than 100A to charge the others, it has tripped our breaker before.
Attached Thumbnails
Ch_Battery_Breaker.jpg  

Old 10-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #15

Yes thats it not sure but I think it may have had something to do with the failure of our generator breaker. It all happened at the same time. The breaker on the generator would not reset
Old 10-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #16

2012 Greyhawk Truck Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
There is a relay that connects the batteries together. Older rigs had a simple relay/solenoid that energized with the ignition switch. It would allow coach batteries to be charged from the alternator.

Apparently many newer rigs come with a special bi-directional smart relay that allows charging in both directions. It senses battery voltage and charges the starting battery until certain conditions.

As I have the old style I can not offer troubleshooting tips for the bi-directional version. But that is where your problem is. Best guess is that it is mounted under the hood probably up high against the back.
My 2012 FS31 has to be started at least once every 7 days now that it's gotten colder here in VT. During the summer I had start it about every 10 days. I have a trickle charger connected but something is drawing the battery down. Bought it used; previous owner connected so many things, only the wires were left. Getting some tech help when I get back home to try and undo/redo whatever is under the dash..what a mess!
tljwYaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
If it was this? This is a 100A Circuit Breaker that is in-line with the "Battery Isolation Module" (BIM) that is controlled by battery voltages and can be engaged by the white switch on the dash. If your Senecs sits for a while and your Chassis batteries are discharged, you will have a tough time starting.

There are also cases where the BIM switch on the dash is pushed and the house batteries vs chassis batteries are going to draw more than 100A to charge the others, it has tripped our breaker before.
I have a 2015 Seneca, where is this white switch located on the dash?