Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Chasing a second key

Well, I picked up the new Redhawk a little over a week ago. The MH only had a single ignition key, so I asked JOF members if their's came with a second key and the answer was yes. I sent a note to my dealer and they replied with a directive to go to a Chevy dealer to have a spare key made and they would reimburse me for the cost. I though I could save them a little money and first tried Walmart for a chip key. No luck. Next stop was at Ace Hardware which specializes in chip keys; no dice. A high-security locksmith was next with similar success. Finally, I gave in and went to Autonation Chevrolet and guess what? No luck. They don't carry the blanks for this smart key and can't get it. The parts guy made a couple of calls so my next stop will be at a Freightliner truck dealer. When I told the Chevy parts guy that the dealer had most likely lost the second key, he replied that I should make them search for this "unicorn". One more trip tomorrow and hopefully they'll have the key blank.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

That sucks...we have a guy that makes them out of his van..will drive to your house a make them there...sorry...on a another note.?does your tv work with the inverter with the engine running?mine doesn't I think there is a kill switch so you can drive and watch tv?
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Can you post a picture of the key?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Check with homedepot I never got a key made there but they have a sign that saids they do chipped keys..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

All of these Rv dealers get their keys made somewhere... I'd go with their suggestions...

Check with a different RV dealer...

I have run into standard non-chip KEYS for the RV's not being in stock at the big stores. The local lock smith always came up them somehow...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Missing something here...

The Redhawk comes with 2 keys, period! It's not supposed to be on you to make it right! Send the dealer a certified letter asking (politely) for the second key within a certain time period, and let them deal with it. Make sure that you copy Jayco Motorhome Customer Service, and make sure that the dealer knows that Jayco has been notified.

It's not your fault, and you shouldn't have to suffer for their mistake!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Success!

Finally, success to report! I was able to secure a second ignition key from the parts department at Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet. I think I was only successful because they sell and service the large Chevy and Isuzu trucks. The key also seems to self-program by starting the ignition with the original key, wait for all the warning lights to go off, then turn off the ignition. Insert the new key within 10 seconds and start up the vehicle. It worked! Surprisingly, it was $49 for the blank and getting it cut at the Chevy dealer; I had expected to pay over $100. The RV dealer is supposed to reimburse me.

For those who have asked, I've attached a copy of this elusive item. The parts guy at the Chevy dealer told me not to lose the original. He said a replacement would be over $500 and the unit would have to be towed to the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3510.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
That sucks...we have a guy that makes them out of his van..will drive to your house a make them there...sorry...on a another note.?does your tv work with the inverter with the engine running?mine doesn't I think there is a kill switch so you can drive and watch tv?
Mudduck, no my television does not work with the ignition switch on. It's a safety feature, although I can't understand how anybody could drive and watch TV from the driver's seat. Your's is a common question and here's a thread which explains how to bypass the relay which prevents the outlet from being energized while the engine is running. I've not attempted this yet but will wait and see if anyone is interested in a movie while driving.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...n-11021-7.html